Subject: Defending your nobles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mihir Shah

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mb
After having played this game a few times with different player counts we feel the game needs some mechanism to defend the nobles from being taken over. Here are a few suggestions and would love to hear some feedback on them:-

Option 1)Have 2 intrigue cards for all Noble's(besides the king) takeover and 3 intrigue cards for the King takeover.

Option 2)Once your player cube is on a noble you can put one or more of your cubes on the same noble by paying the cost associated by the country cards each time an additional cube is placed and the person taking over needs the intrigue cards of that country color equal to the no. of player cubes on that noble.
eg. if black takes over the vacant Duke in France by discarding 4 blue cards, he can discard another 4 blue cards to put an additional black cube on the same duke in France and if he desires he can put an additional black cube by discarding 4 more blue cards, thus making a total of 3 black cubes on the same Duke. Now if the white cube player wants to take over that Duke, he now has to pay the required 4 blue cards plus 3 intrigue cards for France(1 intrigue card per cube on Duke). Now all 3 black cubes are moved to the cathedral and the white cube is placed on that Duke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously you can play how you want as it's important to enjoy your game.

My opinion after a few plays is the game would drag out badly if you made it harder to steal nobles from people. After the first round almost every noble is going to be taken. You need that ability to change the balance after the first round. intrigue cards are already hard to get since you can only get one per turn and it might not be the color you want/need.

Also a large part of the scoring is getting the noble bonuses at the end of the game. If you reduce the amount people are stealing influence you are going to reduce the fight over these points making the higher level nobles even more important.

This game is all about give and take. If you remove the take I think it would slow down (turns where people take intrigue cards move the game more slowly since influence cards move the game towards it's end) the game and make the end score more predictable.

If you insist on some kind of protection concept you could consider allowing someone to counter the steal by discarding a matching set (no intrigue needed) at time of steal. I wouldn't make the change myself but I feel it would affect the game less but give you that block ability.

Good luck I hope you like the game more. This one has big hit for my family and gaming groups so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I was actually thinking about something like this the other day when pondering expansion ideas for Royals.

I got to thinking about allowing players the ability to pay the card cost of a particular spot again, in order to make it harder for an opponent to vanquish their nobles.

If a player did this, you would mark one the spot already containing a cube with another marker (ie. another cube or maybe a disc). This spot would now cost an opponent 2 intrigue cards, in addition to the normal amount of country cards needed, to vanquish him from that spot.

I haven't tried this, it was just an idea I had, so take it for what it's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mb
WBuchanan wrote:
I was actually thinking about something like this the other day when pondering expansion ideas for Royals.

I got to thinking about allowing players the ability to pay the card cost of a particular spot again, in order to make it harder for an opponent to vanquish their nobles.

If a player did this, you would mark one the spot already containing a cube with another marker (ie. another cube or maybe a disc). This spot would now cost an opponent 2 intrigue cards, in addition to the normal amount of country cards needed, to vanquish him from that spot.

I haven't tried this, it was just an idea I had, so take it for what it's worth.

That is exactly what i said in my option 2 in my original post, glad u thought the same too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mb
sancmat wrote:
Obviously you can play how you want as it's important to enjoy your game.

My opinion after a few plays is the game would drag out badly if you made it harder to steal nobles from people. After the first round almost every noble is going to be taken. You need that ability to change the balance after the first round. intrigue cards are already hard to get since you can only get one per turn and it might not be the color you want/need.

Also a large part of the scoring is getting the noble bonuses at the end of the game. If you reduce the amount people are stealing influence you are going to reduce the fight over these points making the higher level nobles even more important.

This game is all about give and take. If you remove the take I think it would slow down (turns where people take intrigue cards move the game more slowly since influence cards move the game towards it's end) the game and make the end score more predictable.

If you insist on some kind of protection concept you could consider allowing someone to counter the steal by discarding a matching set (no intrigue needed) at time of steal. I wouldn't make the change myself but I feel it would affect the game less but give you that block ability.

Good luck I hope you like the game more. This one has big hit for my family and gaming groups so far.

I differ in my opinion about that as i see it more as a decision on where to invest the cards and i feel that adds to the strategy as not all your nobles are going to be defended by you since cards are limited, tuff call between deciding to takeover some other spot or to defend some of your noble, makes for an interesting strategy in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
jalwaaa wrote:

That is exactly what i said in my option 2 in my original post, glad u thought the same too

Ya, kinda the same. I'd limit it to only being able to do this once for any given location you control.

So for example you could have a cube on a location, and if you paid the price in country cards again, then you could put a round disc marker underneath your cube. But you couldn't do this additional times in the same location until your cube and disc are removed.

So at most all your opponent would ever need would be 2 intrigue cards to vanquish any given noble.

I'd also make it so that you couldn't place both a cube AND a disc in the same location on the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
An additional thought is you could only solidify your position in a location (ie. place a disc under a cube) if you paid the appropriate cost in country cards again AND played an appropriate intrigue card.

Would need to playtest it to see what works best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I was considering the following similar variant:

In response to an assassination attempt to one of your nobles, you may play the number of intrigue cards +1 to defend the noble.

For example, if someone tried to take out your French princess, you could play two french intrigues to defend her.

If someone tried to take out your French King, you could play three french intrigues to defend him.

If your assassination attempt is blocked, you lose the country cards.

This allows defense but in a very limited manner.

It adds several minor elements of strategy. Where do you commit your resources, even with the possibility of losing them? Do you target countries where the noble players have less intrigue cards in their hands?

Do you concentrate on offense or defense?

I think it incentivizes people to spread their country/intrigue draws more than before.

I have not play tested this in any way. I believe it would add to the game time, but I am unsure if it would drag the game.

I am interested in hearing if anyone tried the variants proposed already and how that added or took away from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Tried this variant tonight. I think it played well.

I don't think it increased the game length considerably.

The last round was spent getting intrigue cards, so it must have, as we didn't go through the country deck as fast as usual.

So it added a mechanic that caused people to have to strongly consider whether to protect nobles or not. Did they continue with their plans to assassinate another noble or protect them? Did others commit resources to attack a noble if another player had the capability to defend them?

Since you can only hold four intrigue cards, I don't think it considerably complicated the game, but added a level of complexity I enjoyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.