Subject: Strategy/War/Diplomacy agme for 8-12 people? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Healey
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Morning all, and thanks in advance for any suggestions you make.

As the title says im looking for a Strategy/War/Diplomacy type game that plays well for atleast 8 people. My group of mates are big fans of Game of Thrones 2nd Edition board game but the problem is that we have too many of us who want to play regularly.

Yesterday I set up a game at my place along with some beers and a bbq and I had 11 people there who wanted to play. We could always team up etc. but that takes some of the fun out of it.

Im looking for suggestions on games of a similar ilk that play really well with 8 or more people. I know there is a fan made 9 player expansion for GoT, but I am only interested in official stuff at this stage.

The only one that I have come across is that crazily huge Civilization game, and although I will probably try and pick up a copy of that, it looks a little too huge. haha.

Money isn't really an object if I can find the right fit.

Suggestions are most appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you only have 8 I would suggest Memoir '44 Overlord.
Perhaps the D-Day scenarios can handle more than 8? I am not certain.
However, if you are fans of GoT, maybe Memoir is too simple.

Again, not sure if this fits your interest, but you can play Wings of Glory with pretty much any number. You could probably try Sails of Glory with more, but that might get cumbersome.

So if you want to make sure you are all in on one game, that is the best I can think of. However, I would suggest breaking into two groups of 6 and both playing Game of Thrones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can get to 8 players by combining axis &Allies Europe with a&a pacific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Healey
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply,

We have played a fair bit of memoir, and it is a bit simple, but a good game. We like games that are "all day" jobs. We all get round someone's house, have a big feed and a few beers and game the day away.

Wings of glory isn't really our type of thing as it won't contain a lot of diplomacy type interaction. I think that is what the group love about GoT, it provides a lot of opportunity to get away from the board and develop alliances and strategy.

Ill have a look into Sails of Glory, as I have never heard of that one.

Thank mate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires gets you to 7.
Lords of the Sierra Madre is 8
Cosmic Encounter can get to 8 with a few expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith romstad
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse is good... it's not as heavy as Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) but it has a lot of the same mechanics and allure that TI has without the length of game. I think you have to get an expansion to play with 8-9 though. Either way its a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Civilization (1980) will play 7, and the Advanced Civilization expansion (1991) will get you to 8. Those are both out of print.

Mega Civilization is supposed to allow up to 18 players and was based on the game and expansion I mentioned above.

I don't know of other strategy games that allow so many players but still have the potential to be worth the time. Civ (and I assume Mega Civ) effectively allow players to execute the same phase at the same time (with a few exceptions), which reduces the playtime (vs. a game where you take your turn and then wait for everyone else to take their turn).

A Diplomacy variant might be worth considering, as it uses simultaneous negotiating sessions between map turns. (Vanilla Diplomacy plays up to 7, but there have been some attempts to play with more than 7 players using variants.) Here are a couple of threads you could check out:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/968585/good-simple-variant-...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/481738/haven-19-player-fant...

Another possibility would be to start with a game that accommodates a lot of players (Codenames or Two Rooms and a Boom for example) and then split up into smaller groups for the rest of the gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I run a weekly event, with a large group of friends that know they are welcome. Some come every week, some a couple times a month and some a few times s year (or decade). Never sure how many a will have any giving night

This week I had 13. We broke into 3 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Healey
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mega Civilzation looks to be the only option really. I thought there would be more options around for larger groups like ours, other than breaking into smaller groups.

Thanks for the options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
8 to 12 players is a tough requirement I can't think of any S/W/D game that will play more than 8 players. Plus the down time between plays is probably brutal. Here are some that come close:

8 Players:
Machiavelli is a Diplomacy variant set in Renaissance Italy.

7 Players:
Soldier Kings is the Seven Years War on a global scale.
7 Ages is the Australian Design Group version of history of the world.
Empires in Arms is also an ADG title on the Napoleonic Wars but re-released by Avalon Hill. You won't play this in a day though more like six months to a year at once a week. Fabulous diplomacy in this game.

6 Players (could try 2 x 6 to get to 12):
Here I Stand are the wars of the Reformation
Virgin Queen by the same designer kicks it down the timeline by about a century
History of the World is a great AH title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to look at variants again (and I can recommend these ones), Junta's 10 player variant is very solid. You could also use Advanced Junta rules to get the game up to twelve.

Apart from that, to find a diplomatic game that will take 12 players I'd probably handle it by looking at one shot LARP scenarios. Start here - https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/LARP_Scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd look for some Diplomacy variants. Its ruleset is quite simple, and I know there are variant maps out there to support more than the standard 7 players.

Perhaps here: http://www.vdiplomacy.com/variants.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Youngstown and Modern variants are pretty good 10-player versions of Diplomacy. Aberration is an interesting 9-player variant which assumes an alternate history of Europe and hence different Great Powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.