tricia c

Ronkonkoma
New York
msg tools
So I scanned through the threads and saw a few posts regarding Long Island playing.
I have a group I play with when they meet, but I'm looking to expand my locations. Any suggestions for gaming friendly bars/cafes/stores? I am especially interested in Suffolk county, but willing to explore other areas.

Hubs and I will play at Starbucks ... but can't really slap down Powergrid or something of equal or larger size on those tables
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Babylon here, lfg. Where are you guys based out of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Richard
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hi. There are a few stores I've played at which you'd might want to check out. Brothers Grimm in Seldon, The War Store in Middle Island and Broadway Games in Port Jefferson. At the first two there can be found mostly miniatures tabletop and CCG gamers. I'd be interested in meeting to play some games. I have a couple of friends who enjoy the hobby but we don't meet as often as I'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a weekly Meetup at Dave & Busters Roosevelt Field.

Legendary Realms Games store hosts game nights.

There's a dedicated gaming room at the I-Con convention which is back in action I believe.
http://blog.iconsf.org

Also a number of helpful posts in the following threads:
Looking for group in central Long Island
Long Island gamers ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

There's a dedicated gaming room at the I-Con convention which is back in action I believe.

I'd caution against it considering the other cons from the splinter groups that ran LI-Con and LI Geek/LI Who. Both groups have been rather... uncommunicative with regards to any official demo requests in the area. I've had questions deleted from their official and Facebook pages inquiring about running demos for the last two years, so I'm not exactly optimistic about the gaming options there.

Octacon is the only convention I can suggest since they are actively supporting official game demos, though they are small in the Bethpage library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klz_fc wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

I'd caution against it considering the other cons from the splinter groups that ran LI-Con and LI Geek/LI Who. Both groups have been rather... uncommunicative with regards to any official demo requests in the area. I've had questions deleted from their official and Facebook pages inquiring about running demos for the last two years, so I'm not exactly optimistic about the gaming options there.

Octacon is the only convention I can suggest since they are actively supporting official game demos, though they are small in the Bethpage library.

Had the exact same experience myself when it came to organizing official demos but when I visited as just an attendee a few years back the gaming area was packed and folks were friendly. (which is why I reached out about demos in the first place)

So while the administration is a disaster I wouldn't hesitate to point someone from the area that way if they just wanted to attend, meet folks, and enjoy some gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
klz_fc wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

Had the exact same experience myself when it came to organizing official demos but when I visited as just an attendee a few years back the gaming area was packed and folks were friendly. (which is why I reached out about demos in the first place)

So while the administration is a disaster I wouldn't hesitate to point someone from the area that way if they just wanted to attend, meet folks, and enjoy some gaming.

The decision for a con to support or not support game demos is fairly immaterial to me. At their base, demos are simply "advertisements" -- and they're advertisements that take up space and time (both of which are usually in small quantity at a con).

However, if you're looking to play something lengthy and heavy, your only options *are* a local game group *or* a con (and, that's why, to me, a demo is something I'll do when I'm done playing for the night -- late night stuff ... don't take away from my peak/prime gaming during the day). I think a lot of con organizers feel the same way.

Now, the concern I have with ICON is that you need to sign up for the whole kit and kaboodle -- you can't go there *just* to game; you've gotta sign up for all the programming (which is usually fairly expensive).

But, the OP is right - you're not plopping down Power Grid (or Arkham Horror or Roads & Boats) at Fridays or Katie's .... there's not enough space, lighting *or* time (and, in a place that's well patronized, they're not going to be happy with you hanging out for 3-6 hours, taking up a table, etc.

Game stores are an option, certainly; but -- many are more focused on CCGs and miniatures and tournaments (you know, things that actually *make* money for them!). There are a number of gaming groups on Long Island, certainly; all with different pros and cons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
klz_fc wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

The decision for a con to support or not support game demos is fairly immaterial to me. At their base, demos are simply "advertisements" -- and they're advertisements that take up space and time (both of which are usually in small quantity at a con).

However, if you're looking to play something lengthy and heavy, your only options *are* a local game group *or* a con (and, that's why, to me, a demo is something I'll do when I'm done playing for the night -- late night stuff ... don't take away from my peak/prime gaming during the day). I think a lot of con organizers feel the same way.

Now, the concern I have with ICON is that you need to sign up for the whole kit and kaboodle -- you can't go there *just* to game; you've gotta sign up for all the programming (which is usually fairly expensive).

But, the OP is right - you're not plopping down Power Grid (or Arkham Horror or Roads & Boats) at Fridays or Katie's .... there's not enough space, lighting *or* time (and, in a place that's well patronized, they're not going to be happy with you hanging out for 3-6 hours, taking up a table, etc.

Game stores are an option, certainly; but -- many are more focused on CCGs and miniatures and tournaments (you know, things that actually *make* money for them!). There are a number of gaming groups on Long Island, certainly; all with different pros and cons.

Dante, while I agree with you to an extent, if I'm running demos at a con, I often also put games in that I want to play (ie not sponsored by any companies) and usually that is because I find that scheduled events at least give visibility that there may be a game people haven't tried and they'd like to try if it sounds good. Having those games on the schedule (at least for some of the other cons where gaming isn't the focus like Lunacon and AnimeNEXT that I've done over the years) has not only given more exposure that there is in fact a game room, but that there is more than just the mainstream games everyone sees.

Despite helping out at AnimeNEXT for over a decade, having stuff on the lie schedule and their twitter feeds still brings over a decent number of people who have gone for years but never knew there was a gaming area to check out between panels. I can tick off Rune Age and Pixel Tactics games that went over very well from this past year from some of those players (and the inexplicable constant requests to borrow Arkham Horror there). Compared to LICon where it feels like some afterthought and good luck getting players together.

I'd like to point out that LICon's first year was packed and they had responded as expected, but not for last year (even with a simple "no, we're not interested this time" and looking over the feedback, there wasn't much beyond the publicized Cards Against Humanity event on the schedule.

Chris, I know your feelings and I'd like to remind you that when we were helping long ago, at least there was support for games on the schedule (didn't really matter if they were advertising or not), and I like to think that we all worked hard to make sure that there was a good mix of both official demos and meatier games spread out to cover the largest variety of players.

I do think that while most of us who have done this for a long time lean towards less official demos in general (we know what kinds of games we want to play and in your case, the exploration of the deeper and alternative strategies for games we already understand is something I respect greatly), I also think there should be a mix to get those players who only know Munchkin or Ticket To Ride into the room with advertised demos and see if some of them are open to trying out games that they don't know but could appeal to them.

Unfortunately, we also know that gaming only cons cost far more to run than people realize - lower turnover of people who likely aren't willing to pay too much to play games combined with LI not really being much of a stay-at-the-hotel crowd and the costs to rent enough space for an entire weekend gets pretty substantial, so I would think that having companies come in to advertise and even give stuff away where possible could only help attendance and get more people to cover the costs - like those Munchkin promos and bookmarks that get attention with the bonus of getting some advertising via the company's forums and convention listings that may reach people familiar with their products but not necessarily aware of the cons themselves otherwise) or some of the play to win events (like Minion Games or StoneMaier Games have promoted.

Tabletop gaming does require long periods of time and space that most laces don't like, and gaming stores often do have to cater to CCGs and miniatures, but most do still have at least some time dedicated to tabletop, so stores that do promote a tabletop only day should be encouraged as well and patronized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klz_fc wrote:
Lemur wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
klz_fc wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

Chris, I know your feelings and I'd like to remind you that when we were helping long ago, at least there was support for games on the schedule (didn't really matter if they were advertising or not), and I like to think that we all worked hard to make sure that there was a good mix of both official demos and meatier games spread out to cover the largest variety of players.

I do think that while most of us who have done this for a long time lean towards less official demos in general (we know what kinds of games we want to play and in your case, the exploration of the deeper and alternative strategies for games we already understand is something I respect greatly), I also think there should be a mix to get those players who only know Munchkin or Ticket To Ride into the room with advertised demos and see if some of them are open to trying out games that they don't know but could appeal to them.

Unfortunately, we also know that gaming only cons cost far more to run than people realize - lower turnover of people who likely aren't willing to pay too much to play games combined with LI not really being much of a stay-at-the-hotel crowd and the costs to rent enough space for an entire weekend gets pretty substantial, so I would think that having companies come in to advertise and even give stuff away where possible could only help attendance and get more people to cover the costs - like those Munchkin promos and bookmarks that get attention with the bonus of getting some advertising via the company's forums and convention listings that may reach people familiar with their products but not necessarily aware of the cons themselves otherwise) or some of the play to win events (like Minion Games or StoneMaier Games have promoted.

Tabletop gaming does require long periods of time and space that most laces don't like, and gaming stores often do have to cater to CCGs and miniatures, but most do still have at least some time dedicated to tabletop, so stores that do promote a tabletop only day should be encouraged as well and patronized.

Matt,

When I talk about demos -- I don't necessarily mean gamemasters, per se. Obviously, most/all cons have scheduled events, and those need to be run by somebody.

But, when a con tells me "Oh, we can't offer anymore GM spots" and the schedule is full of Munchkin games -- that's far more likely to keep me away

My point was -- to me -- the lack of "official" demos would not be a reason to avoid a con. I'd always base my attendance at a con on what was actually scheduled (which is why I haven't gone to LI-Con, etc. As you said, I don't need to pay $$$ to "play" CaH).

At this point, I'm pretty well aware of the cost of running a gaming-only con. I've been doing research on one for east-end Long Island, and even with a TREMENDOUS break on the space rate from a 4-star hotel, you're still looking at registration costs of near $80 for a 4-day con.

My issue with ICON was that, if they had a "gaming-only" pass (of let's say $25 for the weekend) instead of *only* the 3-day pass which was (in the past) about $60 ... they'd get more gamers. And, even more damning, in the past, Friday was -- functionally -- a wash-out, since badging would take 2-3 hours from when you first got on line; and Sundays were rarely program-heavy; so you were spending $60 for Saturday (mainly, to subsidize the other programming that gamers had little-to-no-interest in).

Had they introduced a gamer-only rate (and allowed badges to be picked up in the gaming area), I'd go; otherwise, I only went to ICON when I could GM. If I couldn't GM and had to pay the con rate, I simply stayed home (and ran my own gaming day)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:

When I talk about demos -- I don't necessarily mean gamemasters, per se. Obviously, most/all cons have scheduled events, and those need to be run by somebody.

But, when a con tells me "Oh, we can't offer anymore GM spots" and the schedule is full of Munchkin games -- that's far more likely to keep me away

My point was -- to me -- the lack of "official" demos would not be a reason to avoid a con. I'd always base my attendance at a con on what was actually scheduled (which is why I haven't gone to LI-Con, etc. As you said, I don't need to pay $$$ to "play" CaH).

I think we're in complete agreement there. It's one reason I work so hard to have a good mix when I schedule myself (as opposed to simply being the demo guy for a company for the whole weekend). Octacon using the Bethpage library (and trying to work with other libraries and community locations fr other events) isn't necessarily a bad thing since they do also try to cross advertise with the gamers at the participating store(s), though I still don't see the ability to do a true weekend con with any reasonable pricing yet.

I also don't know the viability of a "gamer only" pass (or other interest-specific group) for any convention would be, but I'd be interested in seeing if someone actually tried it and if it increased attendance enough to cover the extra costs of bookkeeping, security oversight (making sure that those badge owners stay only in designated areas) and the extra badge printing and design to be distinguishable from the other types already in use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to wonderful world of BGG Tricia! (where we never hesitate to put the geek in BoardGameGeek)

I do hope you'll check out some of the gaming opportunities in your area and join in here more often. Lots of amazing content to be found on the site, especially about the games themselves. Dig into the forums of your favorites and you'll find a wealth of amazing info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Murphy
United States
Saint James
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent you a message, however I host a gaming night local to Suffolk county. We make attempts to meet weekly or Bi weekly (pending schedules) at my house. We have one this Saturday starting at 7pm. You are welcome to join. If it gets big enough I bring out more table and we split groups.My gaming area (Basemen) fits 15 to 20 comfortably.

So far we have mansions of madness 2nd edition up for a run as well a either Cry Havoc or Forbidden Stars. This is by no means set in stone and if we have enough people with a specific interest for a game we will pull it out. We also always have at least one or two individuals that know the game we are playing and can teach it well. If interested hit me up and I will send you the rest of the information.

There are also times we will meet at boardwalk the game store on Thursday and sometimes Friday Port Jeff, however I had to slowdown on that due to work schedule. Regardless welcome and I hope you find what your looking for.

I also have a big gaming night on October 29th where we will be starting early Saturday and gaming till the next morning... Its my buddies b-day and that is they way he and the group will be celebrating
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brooklynknight wrote:
I sent you a message, however I host a gaming night local to Suffolk county. We make attempts to meet weekly or Bi weekly (pending schedules) at my house. We have one this Saturday starting at 7pm. You are welcome to join. If it gets big enough I bring out more table and we split groups.My gaming area (Basemen) fits 15 to 20 comfortably.

So far we have mansions of madness 2nd edition up for a run as well a either Cry Havoc or Forbidden Stars. This is by no means set in stone and if we have enough people with a specific interest for a game we will pull it out. We also always have at least one or two individuals that know the game we are playing and can teach it well. If interested hit me up and I will send you the rest of the information.

There are also times we will meet at boardwalk the game store on Thursday and sometimes Friday Port Jeff, however I had to slowdown on that due to work schedule. Regardless welcome and I hope you find what your looking for.

I also have a big gaming night on October 29th where we will be starting early Saturday and gaming till the next morning... Its my buddies b-day and that is they way he and the group will be celebrating

You live!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Murphy
United States
Saint James
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What up my man!!! Yes it has been awhile as i ended up moving back to NYC and then finally settling back here in LI!

I enjoy the space of the house over an apartment any day more room for gaming....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Richard
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hey Art, if you don't already have it, I will bring over Captain Sonar (and the AoE III you let me borrow a while ago). I'm looking forward to seeing ya and meeting folks on Sat. Take my word for it people, he's a great host!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Murphy
United States
Saint James
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FANTASTIC!!! I have had my eye on sonar and been dying to try it will be a solid night and as mentioned feel free to invite anyone else you think would enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Good to hear that you're back on Long Island. It would be good to see you again.

If anyone is interested in gaming on Columbus Day, my friend in Nassau county is having some people over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Murphy
United States
Saint James
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian- i may have interest for columbus day. You and crew are welcone to come by this saturday too...

Regardless hope to see you soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So - to circle back to the OP

There's apparently a bar in Bay Shore that got some coverage in Newsday this past week; where they run game nights once a month.

I'm aware of a group that meets in a church in Smithtown -- I *think* every Saturday.

There's a group in Huntington -- they're on meetup. Edit: in Nassau

Another group meets at a bar in Smithtown -- also on meetup.

Another group I'm aware of is based in Medford -- *also* on meetup.

Apparently, Art runs a group -- presumably in St. James.

And, I run (what I'm guessing is the longest-running group) ... predominantly in Ronkonkoma.

I know the Bay Shore group and most of the meetup groups typically play *lighter* fare (based on the time constraints and locale) ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
The "Huntington" group typically meets at Game Master Games in Hicksville.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The best gaming convention on Long Island is FATDOG, Period. Last year we had over 125 people and all sorts of games and gamers are welcomed. Although we are heavily into war games. You can google the name and location for 2016. This year we are moving to a new hotel so things should be bigger and better then ever. FATDOG stands for the "Friday After Thanksgiving Day of Gaming" and runs from around 9:00 AM or so till the hotel's convention rooms close, say around midnight. It only costs $15 or $20 and we supply food, venders, a flee market, a Chinese auction and door prizes. Beat that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
http://fatdogcon.com/

Preregistration:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/friday-after-thanksgiving-day-o...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lemur wrote:
So - to circle back to the OP

There's apparently a bar in Bay Shore that got some coverage in Newsday this past week; where they run game nights once a month.

I'm aware of a group that meets in a church in Smithtown -- I *think* every Saturday.

The bar in Bayshore is actually a brewery, you can get more info on that game night here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1301169183259088/?notif_t=pl...

The group in Smithtown does meet every Saturday afternoon starting around 3, you can find more info on them here: http://www.meetup.com/IronmarkGames/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tricia c

Ronkonkoma
New York
msg tools
thanks all I didn't even realize what replies I had gotten, so just enjoyed reading through the month's worth

We're in Ronkonkoma near the lake

Art Murphy
United States
Saint James
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the PM, just replied. I was a bum and didn't even see your message!

Thanks
Phil Richard
United States
New York
flag msg tools
: We've done some MTG at Grimms, but I don't play miniatures TT games and didn't see much activity for other TT gaming.
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love legendary as my flgs for shopping!
I had mainly used BGG for exploring games, so thought I should make use of the awesome forums

Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that's the read I got of DUBCO (Bayshore) when I went. Cool venue, but Wednesday nights I get stuck working through half their gaming window anyway :\ alas.
Thanks for the detailed group list thumbsup

Super-bummed I'll be missing FATDOG. I was getting set to go and hubs reminded me that I work that day cry Looks like a great time!

The Smithtown Saturday group had a cool Tabletop day event. I had totally forgotten to check if they had other events!

Having scanned the other posts, hadn't seen much recent activity, so I'm happy to have gotten so many replies from you all !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.