Subject: Custom Hero: Captain Coward! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Coward is my flagship hero, which of course is why I shoved him in my other thread instead of giving him his own thread. <.< He's a hero I literally dreamed up, who kick-started a whole setting filled with heroes and villains and lots of weird stuff!

His power is that he can do anything! Once. And he never knows ahead of time what superpower will activate when he uses this power. For anyone who's seen the original version in my other thread, this is Captain Coward as I originally wanted him to play: a love letter to my favorite aspect of this game, randomness. Setback, Omnitron-X, incapacitated Set, Don't Dismiss Anything, Slamara... I adore anything that causes random card plays. And that's half of what Captain Coward does.

I'm finally posting him here because I want the helpful pedants on this board to figure out where he'll break the game, so I can knock that off. I've played him a few times, with friends even, but my friends are chuckleheads like me, so the fact that they enjoyed watching him go isn't necessarily a good sign of anything. First, some story!

Justin Coward was your average loser. After graduating high school, he worked a minimum wage job at a comic shop where he could read the stories, some fantastical, some biographical, about the real-life heroes who soared through the skies, keeping the world safe from evil. He always wanted to be a superhero himself, so he was really excited when his Event came at last, granting him super powers!

He found out that he could fly! It was amazing! He took to the skies, shouting in triumph, thoughts of costumes, code names and nemeses running through his head. The first thing he did when he landed was go show off to some acquaintances. Except, instead of fly, he disintegrated a nearby azalea. Trying to use his power again, he was quickly overwhelmed by the thoughts of his companions, most of them incredulous. What was wrong?

Soon, he discovered that every time he used his power, something new would happen, and he would have a split second to figure out what to do with it. He didn't let this stop him from living his hero dream, though. Making himself a costume and calling himself Captain Coward -- a tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that his unreliable powers sent him running away from danger as often as toward it -- he set out with a partner to fight crime! And he started working out, for those times when superpowers weren't going to cut it.

Hero: Captain Coward: The Man Who Can Do Anything

HP:

Power: Do Something
Flip your hand, then shuffle the top 2 cards of your deck face-down into your hand. Put a random card from your hand into play.

The power essentially makes his turn "play two cards and draw two cards; the second play is random". The second card draw means that the chances of any particular card being played from your hand is reduced as the game progresses. It's just somewhat more interesting than "put the top card of your deck into play".

Incap Powers:
- One hero may use a power.
- Increase damage of 1 type until the start of your next turn.
- Reveal the top card of a hero deck. If it is a One-Shot, put it into play. Otherwise, discard it and that player draws a card.

Mostly just a litany of randomness.

As for the cards, they should all be self-explanatory. He's capable of dealing each type of damage in the game, and can replicate a lot of in-game effects from other heroes, not to mention villains. There are three targets, with varying effects, some of which have synergy with other decks. The targets head the various 'sections' of his deck: detrimental, neutral and beneficial. I've tried to balance the detrimental and beneficial cards by number, if not necessarily by effect.

Oh yeah, and his deck is made of 40 different cards. Have fun!

Junkbot (Mechanical Golem, 3 HP): When this card enters play, discard a card. At the end of your turn, this card deals up to 2 targets 2 melee damage each.

I'm Totally a Mutant! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deal 2 targets 1 melee damage each. A target dealt damage this way then deals itself 1 irreducible toxic damage.

I'm... Full of Spiders? (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals himself 1 psychic damage, then each other target 1 toxic damage. You may play a card.

Aren't You the Devil? (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals himself 2 infernal damage and another target 4 infernal damage. You may play a card.

Don't Give Up Now! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deal himself up to 5 energy damage. X players may draw a card, play a card or use a power now, where X = the amount of energy damage taken this way.

I've Got You Where I Want You! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals himself 3 radiant damage. Villain cards cannot be played until the start of your turn.

I Feel at Peace... (Ongoing): When this card enters play, select another card in play. That card is indestructible, Captain Coward cannot deal or be dealt damage, and you may not play cards, draw cards or use powers. At the start of your turn, remove this card from the game.

This is the card I'm most concerned about, balance-wise.

I'll Bury You! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals himself 2 projectile damage. Place a non-character card in play on the bottom of its deck.

I'm Gonna--! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals himself 2 fire irreducible damage. Destroy up to two ongoing or environment cards.

That's a Bad Kitty! (Ongoing): When this card enters play, place it next to a target, and Captain Coward deals himself and that target 2 psychic damage each. The next time that target deals damage, redirect it to another target, then destroy this card.

I'm Going Too Fast! (Ongoing): Play a card at the end of each turn. At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

Gotcha! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals one non-character target X irreducible melee damage, where X = that target's max HP minus its current HP. Then he deals himself 2 irreducible psychic damage.

I Can Fly! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals up to three targets 3 sonic damage each. For each target dealt damage this way, discard the top card of your deck.

Let's Try That Again! (One-Shot): Move top card of a deck to bottom of its deck. You may put the top card of a trash into play. If you do, Captain Coward deals himself 2 lightning damage.

I'm Out of Control! (One-Shot): Use Captain Coward's power twice this turn.

Whoops! You Chose Wrong! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals himself 2 psychic damage. Then one target deals 2 damage of a type listed on its card to another target.

I Have Laser Eyes! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals one target 2 energy damage and a second target 2 energy damage.

You're Not Going Anywhere! (Ongoing): When this card enters play, place it next to a target, and Captain Coward deals himself 2 melee damage. All damage dealt to the target next to this card is irreducible. At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

...Pickles? (Zombie, 2 HP): At the end of your turn, this card one target 2 melee damage.

You're on Fire! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals one target 2 fire damage. Increase the next damage dealt to that target by 1.

I'll Aim for the Weak Spot... (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals one target 2 projectile damage. A target dealt damage this way cannot deal damage until the start of your turn.

I Got My Eye on You... (Ongoing): Play this card next to a target. The first time that target deals damage each turn, Captain Coward deals one target 2 energy damage. At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

Hard-Light Symbiote (Construct, 4 HP): Place this card next to a hero other than Captain Coward. Redirect all damage dealt to that hero to this card. Whenever this card is dealt damage, Captain Coward regains 1 HP.

I'm Riding the Lightning! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals each non-hero target 1 lightning damage. Captain Coward regains 1 HP.

You're in for a Shock! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals one target 2 lightning damage. Discard the top card of that deck. Captain Coward regains 1 HP.

Hey, Cool It! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals one target 1 cold damage. Reduce damage dealt by that target by 1 until the start of your turn. Captain Coward regains 1 HP.

I Can Feel the Vibes! (Ongoing): When this card enters play, select a damage type and Captain Coward regains 1 HP. Either increase all damage of that type by 1 or decrease it by 2. At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

I Know Kung Fu! (Ongoing): The first time a target deals Captain Coward damage each turn, Captain Coward deals that target 2 melee damage. At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

I Am One With All! (Ongoing): Reduce damage dealt to Captain Coward by 2. At the start of your turn, either destroy a non-character card or one target regains 3 HP, then destroy this card.

I Can See the Future! (One-Shot): Reveal the top three cards of your deck. Put one in your hand, one on top of your deck, and one on the bottom of your deck.

I'm One With Nature! (Ongoing): When this card enters play, Captain Coward deals one target X projectile damage and regains X HP, where X = the number of environment cards in play. Captain Coward is immune to damage dealt by the environment. At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

I Feel Good! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals one target 2 radiant damage. Captain Coward regains 2 HP.

This Isn't Working! (One-Shot): Captain Coward regains 4 HP. Draw 2 cards. Immediately end your turn.

Let's Get Pumped! (One-Shot): Increase the next damage dealt by a hero target by 2. Captain Coward regains 1 HP.

I've Got Your Back! (Ongoing): The next time a hero target would be dealt damage, prevent it and Captain Coward regains 1 HP, then destroy this card.

I See Your Potential! (One-Shot): Reveal the bottom card of a deck. Either put it into play or discard it. Captain Coward regains 1 HP.

You Feel Good! (One-Shot): One target regains 3 HP.

Keep It Together! (Ongoing): Reduce damage dealt to hero targets by 1. At the start of your turn, Captain Coward regains 1 HP, then destroy this card.

I'm Pulling for You! (One-Shot): Each player other than you may either draw two cards or take a card from their trash and place it in their hand. Captain Coward regains 1 HP.

We Won't Let Them Beat Us! (One-Shot): Each player who discards a card may draw up to two cards now. Each hero regains 1 HP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Wow. . . I... Don't know what to say. I'd have to play test him sometime to see how he plays but he looks hilariously awesome. All the one shots makes him kinda weird. . . and somewhat interesting to balance I should think. No special combos between his abilities (which I suppose is the point) or anything just play, power, draw. As far as the "I feel at peace. . . " card, I don't think it would be too broken. It's only 1 turn and could potentially allow teammates to duplicate make some effects last longer than normal (Heroic Intervention, Take Down, etc. etc.) but 1 more turn of that and the fact that he ONLY has 1 copy in his deck isn't game breaking.

Admittedly, getting him to fit into an organized team is impossible, but he seems to me more like a hero you just dink around with.

Still, I like the idea of a hero who can do everything; but has no control over what he actually does. Fun.

Edit: But he totally needs to be able to ride a Zombie Dinosaur. Everything is better with Zombie Dinosaurs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
TakeWalker wrote:

Power: Twist the Loop
Flip your hand, then shuffle the top 2 cards of your deck face-down into your hand. Put a random card from your hand into play.

This seems very powerful.
While the random card play can be a bit of a downside you still get to drawn two cards.
I'd suggest adding a discard.

Quote:
Oh yeah, and his deck is made of 40 different cards, all but 3 of them one-shots. Have fun![/i]

This is going to be pretty broken with Super Scientific Tachyon.

Quote:
Don't Give Up Now! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deal himself up to 5 energy damage. X players may draw a card, play a card or use a power now, where X = the amount of energy damage Captain Coward has taken this round.

I think it should read "where X = the amount of energy damage Captain Coward takes this way." Otherwise if you get an Villain who does energy damage CC doesn't have to take damage to power this card as it's by round not tur. also by making it damage taken this way it doesn't allow people to get the bonus for damage mitigated, e.g. Captain Cosmic's shield construct.

Quote:
I Feel at Peace... (One-Shot): Select a card in play. Captain Coward deals himself 2 radiant damage. Then, until the start of your turn, Captain Coward cannot deal or be dealt damage and the selected card is indestructible.

This is the card I'm most concerned about, balance-wise.

Probably best if this was made an Ongoing that destorys itself at the start of your next turn. Along with a few other cards below this is probably the best fix for trouble with Super Scientific Tachyon.

Quote:
I'm Gonna--! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals himself 2 fire irreducible damage. Destroy up to two ongoing or environment cards.

Standard SotM wording would put the irreducible before the fire. i.e. "himself two irreducible fire damage."

Quote:
I'm Going Too Fast! (One-Shot): Until the start of your turn, play a card at the end of each turn.

Again this would be better as an Ongoing that destroys itself at the start of your next turn.

Quote:
You're Not Going Anywhere! (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals himself 2 melee damage. Select a target. Until the start of your turn, all damage dealt to that target is irreducible.

Again this would be better as an Ongoing that destroys itself at the start of your next turn.

Quote:
I'll Aim for the Weak Spot... (One-Shot): Captain Coward deals one target 2 projectile damage. A target dealt damage this way cannot deal damage until the start of your turn.

Quote:
I Got My Eye on You... (One-Shot): Select a target. Until the start of your turn, the first time that target deals damage each turn, Captain Coward deals one target 2 energy damage.

Quote:
I Can Feel the Vibes! (One-Shot): Select a damage type. Either increase all damage of that type by 1 or decrease it by 2 until the start of your turn. Captain Coward regains 1 HP.

Quote:
I Know Kung Fu! (One-Shot): Until the start of your turn, whenever Captain Coward is dealt damage, he deals the source of that damage 2 melee damage.

Quote:
I Am One With All! (One-Shot): Until the start of your turn, reduce damage dealt to Captain Coward by 2. Either destroy a non-character card or one target regains 3 HP.

Quote:
I'm One With Nature! (One-Shot): Captain Coward is immune to damage from the environment until the start of your turn. Captain Coward deals one target X projectile damage and regains X HP, where X = the number of environment cards in play.

Again this would be better as an Ongoing that destroys itself at the start of your next turn. Will also need some wording changes if you do do.

Quote:
Keep It Together! (One-Shot): Until the start of your turn, reduce damage dealt to hero targets by 1. Captain Coward regains 1 HP.

This was just a first impression run over, mainly it's cards that would probably better off as Ongoings. Hope it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll say right now, Captain Coward v1.0 had Ongoings, of which he could only have one in play at any given time, and he played like less-useful Guise. I completely understand your reasoning, but I absolutely refuse to have Ongoings in this deck. Powerful interaction with a single character isn't a good reason to change out the central idea.

The irreducible fire thing is a strange typo, thank you for catching that. c.c You're probably also right about Don't Give Up Now!

As for his power, the original version had a discard, but I found it didn't really add anything (no pun intended). Having lots of cards in hand doesn't add a benefit outside of I'm Going Too Fast!, while having a low hand size thanks to discards and the like is then something he can't recover from without team support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. This... This is Dial H as a Sentinels deck.

I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what that is, but thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changelog 11/8/16:
- Change his power's name back to what it used to be.
- Why Are the Birds Angry? is now I'm... Full of Spiders?
- Don't Give Up Now! changed.
- Self-damage types changed up a bunch.
- Cards now Ongoings: I Feel at Peace..., That's a Bad Kitty!, I'm Going Too Fast!, You're Not Going Anywhere!, I Got My Eye on You..., I Can Feel the Vibes!, I Know Kung Fu!, I Am One With All!, I'm One With Nature!, I've Got Your Back!, Keep It Together!
- I Feel at Peace removes itself from the game after use.
- Damage type and self-damage of Gotcha! changed.
- Summoned Zombie is now his dead cat. :C
- I Know Kung Fu changed so he can't beat himself to death with it. >.<

TakeWalker wrote:
I completely understand your reasoning, but I absolutely refuse to have Ongoings in this deck.

Hey guys, remember when I said this? Well, I'm a big, stupid doodoohead, as it turns out. Ongoings for effects that remain in play, especially the "next time a hero something" ones is a good idea! So I gave him a bunch of Ongoings now, most of which work like one-shots, because, hey, that's a thing that can happen in this game! Also changed a few other cards so they play better. Even the more game-breaking cards I have a better feeling about now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TakeWalker wrote:
as it turns out. Ongoings for effects that remain in play, especially the "next time a hero something" ones is a good idea!

We knew that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for being dumb. :B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.