Subject: Hide our Money? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Gast

Weyauwega
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the rulebook is there a reason we couldn't or shouldn't play with having our money hidden information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well the rules say keep it open information, but you paid for the game. If you want to deliberately break the rule with your group, have fun.

Just make sure everyone knows that you are playing a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If all the players are fine with it, I don't see why not. Though, having them visible hasn't been an issue. The game is pretty fluid in that points can go up and down based on several factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gast

Weyauwega
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more to prevent the problem that is stated in the rulebook and that some people have said. A player trying to count up all the points before deciding to place a sixth star.

I have only played one game and didn't really see it as an issue but was just wondering what people thought about it since there is a little variant or whatever it was about someone counting coins in the rulebook.

Thank You for the responses. I don't think I'll keep money hidden information unless coin counting becomes an issue.

Really loving the game so far and can't wait to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it a bunch, and coin counting has never been an issue. If a player can place their 6th star, everyone else knows it's possible and will maximize their next turn if the player doesn't place their 6th star. So a player contemplating placing that 6th star will likely have a bit more to figure out than counting coins, so that's where the time drag can be.

For me, it's cool to take a little time to decide a possible final action to maximize your points, but not so much when it comes down to calculating everyone else's exact score. Certainly varies in time and difficulty with player count, so in a 2 or 3 player game, it might be very easy to have it figured out and only need coin count to be exact. But that's why you can stack coins in various ways, or have them in different parts of your player area etc. to make it more difficult and if you notice someone stalling to count, then perhaps you can move them around, play with them etc. to make it so they can't count them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Provided people aren't getting silly with coin counting, I think having the ability to form a ball-park idea of the amount of coins a player has accumulated during the game is a good idea - there's enough to keep track of as it is, plus if you're playing whilst the previous player is finalising their bottom-row action, you may not be able to keep track of whether they're taking coins and, if so, how many. I know in one of our games, though I had a similar amount of hexes to the other players, I'd built a good money-making engine during the game and it made a big difference in the final scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
The only hiding you can do is to Stack your Coins on your player mat. Hiding them from sight is explicitly not allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MEECROB GoHeels wrote:
Besides the rulebook is there a reason we couldn't or shouldn't play with having our money hidden information?

Money gained and lost is open information, so each player's current balance is trackable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.