Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur O'Dwyer
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Today we played a 4-player game using the scenario "Unstable Academy". Its special rules say: "When a wizard leaves a room by any means, that room is switched with the room that is presently outside of the academy."

(In hindsight, I'm pretty sure we applied this rule only when physically moving through a doorway, not when teleporting; but if we did, that was definitely a mistake on our part.)

FWIW, we found "Unstable Academy" to be an unsatisfying scenario. It's much grindier than "Golem Construction" or "Demon Binding", for sure; we never found any ice-creating spell other than the guaranteed "Chill (1)", and it got tiresome constantly digging it out from under the glyphs placed on top of it.

----

We interpreted "Unstable Academy"'s special rule "Spells with glyph tokens on top may not be cast so long as the glyphs remain on top of them" as prohibiting casting by any means — including using staffs. So by midgame we had two staffs of Chill, but they didn't relieve the tedium of digging the spell out from under its glyphs. I'd appreciate some feedback on whether we played this right or wrong.

----

Now for the real questions. "Portals (2)" says:

Quote:
Until the start of your next turn, whenever a wizard moves out of a room, select a random room. This is the room at which they arrive.

Call the room in which the wizard starts their movement the "source room", and the randomly selected arrival room the "destination room".

How does this interact with other rules that affect movement?

We house-ruled it that "Portals (2)" movement behaved basically like teleportation: it didn't matter which door you used to exit the source room (as long as there was at least one door), a single ice token in the destination room had no effect, and a haunt token in the source room had no effect. (It never came up, but I suppose we would also have ignored a double ice token in the destination room or any water or darkness tokens in the destination room.)

However, I could imagine a house rule that made "Portals (2)" movement behave more like the video game: after you pick a door to exit the source room (applying haunt effects if any), you'd "preserve your momentum" as you moved into the destination room; e.g. exiting the source room in a southward direction would cause you to slide on ice in the destination room also in a southward direction. A double ice token in the destination room would block movement and (house-ruling; this is not self-evident AFAIK) cause the move action to be wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the scenario. In principle digging it out should be a variable experience since it involves casting a different combination of spells to remove the glyphs, but I can see that didn't suit you. Ah well, there's no shortage of other scenarios.

It sounds like play played it correctly. The spell was prohibited by any means so staffs didn't work until the glyphs were removed.

Unstable academy works pretty much as you played it, it functions as a teleport so the conditions in the target room (ice etc.) don't matter.

I don't envision that a conservation of momentum house rule would unbalance the game in any way and if I was implementing it as a computer game I might've been inclined to do something like that - but I don't think it would've been worth the space on the card to describe that sort of exception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.