Subject: Resource Wheel for Agricola rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blougaville
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hey, everyone. First post from a long time BGG lurker.

I remember reading that when designing Ora Et Labora, Uwe came up with the idea for the resource wheel as a way to mitigate the upkeep that Agricola required.

Has anyone ever considered retro-fitting Agricola with this kind of resource wheel? I've been thinking about this and I feel like it would work well in theory with a few modifications (like it would have to be able to account for resources accumulating above the OEL 10 max in certain situations, and tokens for 2 clay/wood & 3 wood would have to be represented on the wheel for those accumulating action spaces), but maybe I'm overlooking something. Has anyone tried to implement this or have thoughts on the impact it would have on Agricola?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jac Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would get complicated quickly with some of the cards that let you leave resources in order to take other ones or the Wood Distributor that lets you split the wood out evenly amonst the reed and food and clay spots.

those are two things from the top of my head. I suppose the former isn't TOO complicated. You could If there is six wood for example and you want to leave one then you take the three token, take a two token from the pile, replace what was there with a 1 token and that's that but it seems a bit fiddly.

Also how do you distinguish between the different places you can go to get wood/clay/stone?

I think it would be too fiddly to try and retro design something back onto Agricola which wasn't designed for it in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jac Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and by the way... congrats on your first post!!!

Insteading of just throwing problems and negativity around I should have mentioend that it's an interesting question you raised!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blougaville
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
haha thanks! And no worries, I didn't sense any negativity. It was a thoughtful response. And yeah, I completely overlooked the potential for the hundreds of cards out there to conflict with a resource wheel! I'm honestly not familiar enough with all the cards to remember off the top of my head that some work that way, so thanks for pointing that out.

As for the second issue you brought up, I think that could be fixable by making special tokens for the resource wheel. For example, a stone disc with a "2" on it for the stage 2 accumulating "1 Stone" action and one with a "4" on it for stage 4. For wood, you'd have separate tokens to symbolize 3/2/1 wood (or whatever the player count calls for), then when a round ends and they are unclaimed, the wheel turns and they are each multiplied by the wheel so 3 wood becomes 6 wood, 2 wood becomes 4, etc.

So yeah, totally agree that so far it sounds fiddly with having to take cards into account, but I wonder if there are any other clever things that could be done to make something work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.