Subject: New Preview on Instagram rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear 1846 backers. Thought you'd be excited to see GMT has a preview photo of their new edition of 1846, showing most components and the box art.

Happy waiting

https://www.instagram.com/gmtgames/?hl=en
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
beef
badge
sack
mbmbmbmbmb
Good find

For those not into FB and associates: http://imgur.com/7ZMH2LT.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BahdMufu wrote:
Dear 1846 backers. Thought you'd be excited to see GMT has a preview photo of their new edition of 1846, showing most components and the box art.

Happy waiting

https://www.instagram.com/gmtgames/?hl=en

Their Facebook page has a few close ups of the components and box art too.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1316366335...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That train graphic on the board is hokey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swain Voorman
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was holding out hope that the illustration on the rules wasn't final or wouldn't be used for the cover. It looks like a mid-90s computer game.

Glad that the board and components don't have that same feel though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fantastic. Glad to see the high production quality that we've come to expect from GMT has carried over here as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Robb
United States
Choctaw
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeRunner wrote:

Someone pointed out in an earlier thread that the train on the board is the same as the train on the cover of Santa Fe Rails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sorenson
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
What are those piles of colored paper to the left of the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Kapi wrote:
CoffeeRunner wrote:

Someone pointed out in an earlier thread that the train on the board is the same as the train on the cover of Santa Fe Rails.

Yes, because the train itself is an American standard 4-4-0, used during this period. Here's a photo of a modern working reconstruction:

How is including an illustration of a historical train within a historical train game "hokey"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg Sorenson wrote:
What are those piles of colored paper to the left of the board? ;)

I don't know, but they're going in the bag of shame with all the other ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the box art. It is period appropriate and evocative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
The components and board look great, so I can forgive the box art, in which I would have went with more of a minimalist approach. But whatevs, the game itself looks great...can't wait to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
aingerso wrote:
I was holding out hope that the illustration on the rules wasn't final or wouldn't be used for the cover. It looks like a mid-90s computer game.

I've long since given up on them ever designing a decent box. No amount of shaming has convinced them thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tom Lehmann wrote:
How is including an illustration of a historical train within a historical train game "hokey"?

It serves zero purpose on the board. On the train cards, definitely, it's nice to see the different types of trains. No reason for it to be on the board. It reminds me of the completely silly pictures in certain Winsome games.

As far as the box art, it totally does look like a 90s video game. I'm sure a lot of effort was put into modeling the train and scenery (maybe? it's entirely possible this was all stock 3D models) but it still looks like a very obvious computer generated image, which seems anachronistic for the time period it's displaying. It makes me think this is either a box for a cartoon or a video game. A black serif typeface with a white stroke is just about the least interesting choice one could go with, and a bezel under text in three different typefaces with three different weights and capitalizations makes the whole thing feel dated; like someone was playing with Adobe Photoshop 2.5.

Cole Wehrle recently wrote a designer diary on designing the box art for his latest game, and how uninspired current wargame (really, GMT) covers are. I'm finding the entire line of Hollandspiele games is doing something interesting to break this tired mold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Andy Mesa wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:

It serves zero purpose on the board.

Nonsense. It serves as decoration.

Now, you may be a fan of completely functional, sterile, and banal approaches to boardgame graphics, so that any decoration is anathema to you. That's your privilege. Everyone's entitled to their tastes.

But, publishers have to cater to a wide range of preferences. Lots of people wanted more decoration and believe the published board is too vacant, too "uninviting" to new players (see the board thread comments for examples of this).

We had to somehow split the difference and I think we did it in a reasonable manner.

Now, we did pay attention to the responses we got after posting the draft board. We resized the train to be smaller and shifted its position to the right so that it didn't blend in with the red/gray graphics in the lower left corner. I think these two changes made the train graphic less intrusive visually. When I've shown the actual printed board (from my pre-pub copy) to various folks, no one has commented negatively on the train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I think one of the "magical" things about playing 18xx games is that they are decorated as the game proceeds. The early stark and sterile table is populated with trains and Scrooge McDuck stacks of cash.

One extra train graphic on the board doesn't provide a needed decoration--what that game setup photo on Instagram needs is players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
scottredracecar wrote:
I think one of the "magical" things about playing 18xx games is that they are decorated as the game proceeds.

I both agree and disagree with this.

My very first published game, back when I was a publisher, was Fast Food Franchise. I went with a black and white board because it would get covered during play by brightly colored franchise, market, and advertising slips. This worked quite well for players who were *playing* the game.

However, at cons when I would unfold the board to start demoing it, new players were definitely turned off by the stark emptiness of the board. It got a lot of comments. Explaining that the board would get covered up with many brightly colored tiles during play didn't help.

The simple fact is that first impressions *do* count.

So, if adding some decoration to 1846's board (the state borders, the train, the wall street graphic in the stock market area, the hill terrain, the rivers, and the lake borders, none of which are "functional" or necessary for play) gets potential players past that initial "hump" and willing to give 1846 a try, then I'm all for doing this in a tasteful and not too intrusive manner.

The train is just one of many decorative items on the board.

Quote:
what that game setup photo on Instagram needs is players.

Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Now, you may be a fan of completely functional, sterile, and banal approaches to boardgame graphics, so that any decoration is anathema to you. That's your privilege. Everyone's entitled to their tastes.

That's not the case at all. I know that's a common belief amongst serious 18xx gamers, but I'm not one of them. In fact, I've argued in favor of Carthiginian's redesign of 1889 and other games and against DTG's preferred design philosophy for those same games.

I think the board itself is a bit sterile, especially as a game that is meant to attract new gamers. If I were to show this board to a typical eurogamer, it wouldn't attract them very much. I personally wouldn't have minded a more skeumorphic representation of the board, a little more decoration, a little more color. I wasn't thrilled with some of the design choices in 1844/1854, specifically the symbology on the cards and the charters, but the map was reasonably well done. Again, I think Carthiginian has struck the best balance in his designs.

Adding a vector train graphic to the board though? I don't see the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Mesa wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:

That's not the case at all. I know that's a common belief amongst serious 18xx gamers, but I'm not one of them. In fact, I've argued in favor of Carthiginian's redesign of 1889 and other games and against DTG's preferred design philosophy for those same games.

Well, it's certainly your right to argue for an unreadable gloopy mess that is actively player hostile in favour of lashings of pastel awfulness, but you'll have to be prepared for people who play 18xx games to sigh deeply and ignore you.

As a fairly regular 18xx player, I think this '46 easily ranks among the better commercial-scale 18xx productions, and it seems that GMT took a lot of the feedback to heart.

However, peering at the picture, I fear that the track tiles may be unusably thick, in which case I'll make useable replacements for my copy and pointedly tell people I introduce to '46 that this is a problem.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair points Tom, while the train isn't suited for my aesthetic, if it helps GMT bring xx to new players, and most of the graphic design choices are primarily focused on playability, then that hokey train and I will be at peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Mesa wrote:
aingerso wrote:

I've long since given up on them ever designing a decent box. No amount of shaming has convinced them thus far.

Do their boxes fail to name the contained game on several sides? Do the components fall out by surprise? Am I missing some other criteria for "decent". Perhaps you meant "Stunningly beautiful". I'm sure that's is an important criteria for people who prefer to look at the box rather than the game.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
thepackrat wrote:
I fear that the track tiles may be unusably thick, in which case I'll make useable replacements for my copy and pointedly tell people I introduce to '46 that this is a problem.

The GMT 1846 track tiles are quite thick, ~1/8" or 3 mm thick.

Why does this make them, in your opinion, unusable?

I've laid out a number of sample games to see how these tiles actually work in practice and I'm finding these thick tiles to be more usable than the typical thin 1 mm 18xx tiles. They tend to stay in one place and typically result in fewer "earthquakes" when being upgraded.

I'm finding them easy to pick them up with one finger and a thumb in a "lever" action, followed by naturally sliding my finger down to grip the tile. The tile is thick enough that this doesn't result in any bending.

(I can imagine some intermediate thickness between typical 1 mm 18xx tiles and these 3 mm tiles, such as 1.5 mm, where they could be picked up in this manner but be prone to bending, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.)

Could you explain why you believe thick tiles are unusable in practice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just love that GMT is continuing its tradition of producing war games. hankhankhank saw me playing Food Chain Magnate at his (putatively-but-not-quite war game) convention, SDHistCon, last year and asked tongue-in-cheek, "Why doesn't this game have any tanks, O.Shane?" As I replied to him, "Harold, this is economic warfare."

Such is 1846. And there's always something to be said for relatively high production value that does not detract from or impede gameplay. GMT usually hits that on the money. Pun intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
I fear that the track tiles may be unusably thick, in which case I'll make useable replacements for my copy and pointedly tell people I introduce to '46 that this is a problem.

The GMT 1846 track tiles are quite thick, ~1/8" or 3 mm thick.

Why does this make them, in your opinion, unusable?

I've laid out a number of sample games to see how these tiles actually work in practice and I'm finding these thick tiles to be more usable than the typical thin 1 mm 18xx tiles. They tend to stay in one place and typically result in fewer "earthquakes" when being upgraded.

I'm finding them easy to pick them up with one finger and a thumb in a "lever" action, followed by naturally sliding my finger down to grip the tile. The tile is thick enough that this doesn't result in any bending.

(I can imagine some intermediate thickness between typical 1 mm 18xx tiles and these 3 mm tiles, such as 1.5 mm, where they could be picked up in this manner but be prone to bending, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.)

Could you explain why you believe thick tiles are unusable in practice?

I'm sure all of those use-cases are lovely, but I'm not in the habit of bending any of the thin tiles in my various 18xx games, nor do I typically find them difficult to pick up the handful of times I see them. In contrast, following tracks off the edge of a thick tile onto track printed flat on the board is irritating as are the thick dark shadow edges on the edges of the tiles.

I've not played many games with super thick tiles, but came away with a strong negative response when I did. At least they aren't stuck onto foam core, I suppose.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
thepackrat wrote:
In contrast, following tracks off the edge of a thick tile onto track printed flat on the board is irritating as are the thick dark shadow edges on the edges of the tiles.

Thanks for explaining your problems with thick tiles.

Personally, I haven't found this to be an issue, but perhaps I play with stronger, diffuse overhead lighting than you do. People vary and 1846's thick tiles may not work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.