Johnny Collins
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
MvC Custom Expansion Thread Links:
Street Fighter Alpha - Warriors' Dreams: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1656050/marvel-vs-capcom-ex...

I've been a big fan of Legendary for little over a year now and I stumbled across Boardgamegeek when trying to find a way to make custom cards because after exploring so many matchup possibilities with hero teams and mastermind/villain combinations, and especially with so much of Marvel's history put into card form I got to thinking...

Since the Marvel Vs Capcom games are pretty much an impossibility at this point with Disney cancelling the Marvel/Capcom deal, there's gotta be some way to keep the spirit of MvC alive. Then I came across Legendedit, and the rest is history.

This is the first of a series of expansions I'm wanting to make for Legendary, all featuring Capcom characters from their famous games (Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Mega Man, Resident Evil, etc) as well as Marvel characters that appeared in Capcom's past fighting games but have yet to become playable in Legendary, whether they be hero or villain.

This set:
Street Fighter II!
The fighting game that started the fighting game genre as we know it today. Gotta start with the classics. I'll be getting the entirety of Street Fighter's history out of the way as playable characters before I move onto Capcom's other franchises.

Ryu:

Ken:

Chun-Li:

Cammy:

Guile:

Dhalsim:

Blanka:

T. Hawk:

Zangief:

E. Honda:

Fei Long:

Dee Jay:

Henchman Villain - Bison Troopers:

Villains - Shadaloo:

Mastermind - M. Bison:

Schemes:

I'll post the Villains after I do a bit more playtesting. Gotta make sure I'm satisfied with their effects. I'm wanting to get these printed off soon so I can continue work on my other expansions.

Let me know what you guys think! I'd love some feedback! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Collins
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Added M. Bison, Shadaloo villains and the Bison Troopers henchman! Any feedback is appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
Love this idea. Lots of fun characters!

Bison is a beast. And it's a really cool idea for him. Way to go!

I hate to bring it up, but some of your Heroes are a little over-powered. Keep in mind, the Legendary standard for Attack + Card draw is 1<ATTACK> for 3<COST> and 2<ATTACK> for 5<COST>. And then if you want to add extra abilities on top of that, you really should lock them behind a Superpower or Keyword.

I can go more specific into all your cards if you'd like.
Whatever helps a fellow creator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Collins
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
By all means I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I did test out all of these cards extensively over the course of many many games against other Masterminds and specific and synergetic team setups (Ryu & Ken with Wolverine & Hulk, Chun-Li& Cammy with Black Widow and Iron Man, etc) and watered down some abilities and buffed some already due to performance and usefullness of each card, so some of these were far weaker before I started and some were indeed busted. Based on that, I've ordered my first draft cards from Printerstudio to see if I like the printing and if I got the card layout right for printing them out (and didn't do too much so that there's a lot of bleed in them, etc.

But I'm still curious to what you have to add!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure you've got a typo on Dhalsim's Enlightenment. You say to choose one at the end and then have an "and" between what I assume are supposed to be the two options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Collins
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Thank you! Fixed the ability wording now that I've thought about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll hit Hero by Hero commenting on common stuff seen in Legendary
Just so you know going in, your biggest theme is cards being a little too good. (Covering a lot of bases/options/and just doing a lot of things.) Also a lot of them seem on the edge of a theme. So you could use that to help tinker them if you wanted and give them a better focus. (Ken "defeating Villains" and Chun-Li "rescuing Bystanders" or "having Villain's in the Victory pile" are examples)

Also, I'll mention this later, but I think you could easily make your own keyword for "When you first defeat a Villain or Mastermind this turn, do this:". "Brawl:" maybe? Kinda like Deadpool's Excessive Violence keyword.

Ryu:
- For his first common, we haven't seen a 2* + Draw a card yet (to my knowledge). But based off of the Attack versions, it should be a 4 or 5 cost. I think it wouldn't be too horrible to get an extra attack or recruit for playing either of two classes, but since it's easier, it shouldn't be as good as a Versatile 1. Add the free card draw, and 3 cost is way too cheap. Consider Storm's 2* <RANGE>: Draw a card for 3<COST>. So I could understand 4 cost to remove the lock on drawing a card. But he does seem to be a 5 cost currently.
- For his second Common, I already gave the 2# + Draw is a 5 cost. But adding that current ability really pushes it over. I recommend dropping the card draw on both. Makes them pretty good cards still!
- For his Uncommon, it's pretty fair. Consider Capt. American (Base set). 4# for 6 cost. So 1 less attack to make it cheaper? Works perfectly. His you just reveal and draw one card. Colossus and Luke Cage have you discard their "Wound protection" cards and draw 2 cards. Your card protects from Wounds and Discards. Okay, that can work since you still discard instead of revealing it. But draw 3 cards? You'd probably need to bump that up to 6 cost. Consider S.S. Colossus with his common that has 1 less attack and 1 less cost.
- The rare is essentially a "Draw 6" since you can play all your cards before attacking the Mastermind. Waaaaaaay too good.

Ken:
- First common: Well...this is new, I think, so that's awesome! I'm not sure how to balance it tho. I'd either drop the "or +1#" or bump it up to a 4 cost. But seeing as it's a Blind draw from the Villain deck, I'd say its pretty fair.
- Second: Again, too cheap. You could probably keep the trigger tho. Probably bump it to a +1 attack.
- I think this should be fine. Maaaaybe knock it down to a 3# Villain, but I could see you keeping it.
- New and has some synergy with his uncommon. idk with 6# if it should be a "draw/Ko" three. Maybe consider KO or discard instead of picking between the two, but that's not a huge deal.

Chun-Li:
- Lots of card draw haha. I love cards that draw more cards. But again, too cheap. And with a +1*, you are pretty close to 5 cost. Maybe have 1* starting and 2* locked behind the superpower? Idk, still seems too good for a 4 cost even.
- I'm totally down for this card, apart from drawing a second card. Captain Marvel has a 1# + Draw a card for 3 cost, but that's it. Adding Rescuing a Bystander is enough. Especially since it won't be too hard to do with her card set (Lots of red)
- I think you could probably make a Keyword that means: "When you beat a Villain or Mastermind for the first time, do this:" Like "Brawl" or something. Her uncommon is pretty good...Idk balancing exactly for this one. You could probably keep as is.
- Hmmm...I would bump it up to an 8 cost. There is a lot of good happening that you should compensate for.

Cammy: (One note that is completely me being picky on personal preference, but I'd go with a different image lol. One that doesn't highlight her...."legs"...as much haha. But it's your cards, so it's whatever you want )
- I've got no complaints for the first common. Kinda like Agent Venom's Multi-Gun common, but harder to pull off. Kudos!
- This one totally works. It's easier to trigger than Storms version, so you offset it by making you discard a card. Very good. Since her other cards need you to check the top card of your deck, maybe instead of discarding, have it make you put a card on top of your deck? Lots of Synergy there then.
- Again, totally balanced. Maybe lock it under just attack, but good either way.
- Again, great card. I really love Cammy overall.

Guile:
- First Common: Perfectly balanced, i think. Especially since none of his cards give wounds, so you rely on the Villains.
- Again, too cheap. Especially with a free KO (and even more so for a Bystander). Consider Black Swan: 2* 5Cost <INSTINCT>: Ko a card from your hand or discard pile to draw a card.
- Consider Namor's "Feed the Sharks": 2# 6cost Ko a card in discard pile or hand to draw a card. (no lock). 1# isn't as guarded in Legendary, but it's still a free KO. So maybe 3# to start?
- I think the rare works as is.

Dhalsim:
- First common: Maybe bump up to a 4 cost? Biggest worry is that once you recruit one, as long as you never use it to recruit, you could keep teleporting it and just about always avoid wounds (Maybe lose the normal teleport?)
- Second: Again, too cheap. Drawing from the bottom is the same as a normal draw essentially. Idk if the +1# is too much on top of that or what. Should be fine with the normal 5 cost as he doesn't have a ton of other Range heroes.
- Again, biggest concern is that you can keep teleporting this. Not horrible since it doesn't negate the Twists or Strike, and it's an interesting mechanic that you could build a hero set around.
- I think this works, but bump it up to 8 would probably be safer.

Blanka:
- First common is great. Opens up for cards that need you to discard to use (maybe a theme for Blanka?).
- Lots of versatility and I think it works as long as it's not over done. Tough decision here haha.
- Uncommon: Yeah, I think this works.
- I think this also works well.

T. Hawk:
- At first I was gonna say 4cost, but having to put them on the bottom of your deck really works. This wouldn't be a bad card for Dhalsim (assuming you went with the unique drawing from bottom of deck as a theme).
- I would ask if you need the Wound and another KO to activate it's ability. If so, I say keep it. If you can activate it with just a Wound or KOing another card, it's too good. I'd drop parts of it.
- Mmmmm....this is tough. Usually the game doesn't want you to avoid Scheme Twists like that...I think it's balanced, but I'm on the fence.
- I think it's a decent trade off. Maybe 5 starting attack?

Zangief:
3 of attack or recruit (or any combo) is usually considered really good for 4 Cost. Consider Black Bolt's common without text. Add an easy to trigger KO to get +2* and maybe even +2#??? That's really way too good.
Consider Elsa Bloodstone 2* 5cost <INSTINCT>: KO a card from your hand or Discard pile to get +1*
- Again, an instant 3 attack is really good. Especially with no draw back.But adding the Wound & Discard protection & +3# on your next turn if you protect yourself is waaaay too good too. Consider that S.S. Colossus again: 2<ATTACK> Wound protection at a discard, draw 2 tho.
- Personally, unless it's a Spider-Friend with a 2cost theme, I'm against non-Rare cards costing more than 6 and Rare's costing less than 7. I think you should knock it down by 2# and 1 cost. It's waaaay too good otherwise.
- Hmmm....it's situational and costs 9...I think it's good to go!

E. Honda:
- 3* for 4 cost is too good. I understand trying to tempt people to pay more to draw a card (Which totally works!) But it's too good for a common at the very least. Knock it down 1* and 1 cost.
- I think this could work fine. Probably just a +1# since he has the extra ability. (You have a lot of guys moving people around. It's fine, but it takes from the uniqueness of the characters. Just a nitpick!)
- Again, two good. Again, comparing it too the 2# draw I mentioned before. While those are commons, I can understand an Uncommon being a bit more. But 3#, free draw, and possible KO for more attack OR recruit? Too good. Especially for 5 cost.
- Okay, the rare is kinda an instant defeat. Sure, go for it. I think you could probably knock the cost down by 1, but that would also limit who he can insta-kill.

Fei Long:
- I think 4 cost would make the first common fair. Especially since they are so stackable.
- Maybe lock that ability under a superpower? But honestly, not too bad.
- That is 6 total attack and recruit starting for a 6 cost. Waaaay too much. You could probably knock it down to 5 cost, and remove the starting 3*.
- Rare seems too good. But you could probably keep it.

Dee Jay:
- Yeah, this works. Considering Angel's common Draw 2 and discard 1. Maybe change wording to <TECH>: Draw 2 cards and discard 1 instead. Otherwise, you draw, discard, and draw again if you triggered it. (Which is fine if that was what was intended)
- That's....You could probably knock it down to 3 cost honestly.
- Seems pretty good.
- Yeah, rare works very well.

Villains
Love them all!!

Bison
I wanna take him on haha. Seems great!

I hope I didn't seem too nit-picky or mean. Just trying to give a helping hand Hope my suggestions help!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Collins
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
You sure gave me a lot to read! I'll reply to this in greater detail tomorrow once I get the time, but having read your analysis, I'm taking it to heart and I'll be making a few changes. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redlion64 made a lot of good recommendation. A lot of the cards do too much for the cost. You might want to compare some cards to the cards that already exist for help fine tuning them. For example Ryu's The Heart of Battle gives you 2 recruit, draws a card and maybe gives you another point all for 3 cost. Emma Frost's Mental Discipline gives you 1 recruit and draws a card for 3 cost.

One way to help pack more into a card and keep the cost down is to add activation costs. Maybe have Ryu's card require certain hero class to draw that card. Though, with that it still would be at least 4 cost.

I'm also not so sure about the "or" in the activation costs. This makes it even easier to activate these effects.

This is some feedback to help improve your set. There's a lot of good idea's in these cards.

I would also advise against Zangief's Ultimate Atomic Buster costing 7. While I don't think it's been explicitly written anywhere, 7 costs and above seem to be reserved for rares. If your Uncommon is good enough to cost that much, it might be too strong.

Hopefully this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Weaver
msg tools
I think this is a great idea so I'll throw in my two cents.

When thinking about each characters theme before looking at your cards, my initial thoughts are as follows:

Ryu = Cyclops or Old Man Logan or Cable
Ken = Wolverine (X force)
Chun Li = Apocalyptic Kitty Pride
Cammy = Wolverine (X Men)
Guile = Nick Fury or Black Panther
Dhalsim = Nightcrawler(ish)
Blanka = Anything/Mechanic Filler
T Hawk = Thor
Zangief = Colossus
E Honda = Friendlier Juggernaut or Hulk
Fei Long = ??? Maybe Proxima Midnight due to the Hollywood theme
Dee Jay = Anything/Mechanic Filler

So I guess my major surprise is Ryu as a card drawer. He is very much a solo player most of the time in SF lore. He also seems like he'd have a card that specifically hits the Mastermind or Villains or a certain strength.

I think a lot of the cards you have are quite solid. Some might be a little too strong and there might be too much emphasis on drawing cards but the Henchmen, Villains and Mastermind all look playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Collins
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Many thanks to redlion64, Clayton7, and jhochges for helping out with the valuable critisms! Gonna post the new versions of the cards here with a little commentary.

Ryu:

Common1:
1. Removed "Draw a card."
2. Made 0+ Attack into 1+ Attack.
Common2:
1. Locked "Draw a card" behind "IS:"
Uncommon:
1. Changed the Cost from 5 to 6
Rare:
1. Completely changed the ability to tone it down but still give a big draw reward for fighting an enemy, with a bonus for beating a Mastermind instead of a Villain.

Ken:

Common2:
2. Gave the player the option to activate potential stronger Hadokens locked behind hero classes. "I: +1 Attack" resembling a faster Hadoken with a stronger strength (like Medium Punch or Heavy Punch), and "IS: +2 Attack" resembling an EX/Meter Hadoken.

Chun-Li:

Common1:
1. Swapped with Common2
2. Changed the Cost from 3 to 4.
Common2:
1. Swapped with Common1
2. Removed the extra card draw from the "C:" ability and put it under a Savior keyword restriction instead.
Rare:
1. Changed the Cost from 7 to 8.

Cammy:
No changes!

Guile:

Common2:
1. Changed the Cost from 3 to 4.
2. Locked "Draw a card" behind "CR:"
Uncommon:
1. Changed the Attack from 4+ to 3+.

Dhalsim:

Common1:
1. Removed the normal Teleport ability.
Common2:
2. Locked the +1 Attack behind "RR:" instead of just "R:"
Uncommon:
1. Changed the ability to discard the card in your hand instead of Teleporting it.

Blanka:
No changes!

T. Hawk:
No changes!

Zangief:

Common1:
1. Changed restriction cost from "I or S:" into "II, IS, or SS:" to help emphaize building around Instinct and/or Strength.
2. Changed Recruit from 2+ to just 2.
3. Changed ability from KO'ing a non-Wound card to +1 Attack instead of +1 Recruit.
Common2:
1. Changed the Cost from 4 to 5.
2. Fixed the wording to say "discard from hand."
Uncommon:
1. Changed the Cost from 7 to 6.
2. Added more hero class restrictions, locking each of the original 3 options behind 1 of 3 different hero class combinations; Draw 2 behind "II:", +2 Attack behind "SS:" and KO filtering behind "IS:"
3. Changed the Attack from 5+ to 3+.
Rare:
1. Changed the Attack from 7 to 8. Reasoning is that his effect is more situational but devastating, and less powerful at the same cost as Iron Fist, so wanted to compensate by giving him 1 more Attack when he's not doing anything via his discard effect.

E. Honda:

Common1:
1. Changed the Cost from 4 to 3.
2. Changed the Recruit from 3 to 2.
Uncommon:
2. Changed the Cost from 5 to 6.

Fei Long:

Common1:
Uncommon:
1. Changed the Cost from 6 to 5.
2. Changed the Recruit from 3+ to 1+.

Dee Jay:

Common2:
1. Changed the Cost from 4 to 3.

I think Ryu and Zangief went through the most thorough changes of all. Looking back at all the Legendary cards and how they're structured, I'll be making a concerted effort to make all my cards more balanced like them and like how I made Cammy, Blanka and T. Hawk. I'm happy with how they came out and I'm fairly satisfied with these changes.

But by all means, I'd love to see what you guys think of the changes I've made. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.