Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Archers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Lennon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Has anyone had any successful archer builds? If so, what gear did you use? I have the core game, gorm, lion god, and sunstalker expansions. One of the players from my group wants an archer gear grid and I'd like to know if it worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, the flower knight has the obvious powerful bow. I don't think the core ones are very impressive, haven't hunted the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always have an archer in my games. Lion bow and arrow, then monster guts, cat eye circlet, and the harp. Basically my utility character at the beginning while they get in position, and then range attack keeping out of range of nasty effects (mainly from nemesis). Usually manage to get Strategist on them, which seals the deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The arrows do make a difference, and if you can get some accuracy buffs even better. Really I think the purpose of an archer is not their own damage output it is to give a support character a way to still attack sometimes from the safety of range. Rawhide set is good for the extra survival in that regard. Use your special arrow then support or shoot as needed. Some type of range or reach in a party is important for a few things, most notably against the white lion actually but also others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Lennon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
How exactly do we use the bow and arrow? Do we just use the speed and strength of the arrow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lennoncc wrote:
How exactly do we use the bow and arrow? Do we just use the speed and strength of the arrow?

Yep. And also the arrows often don't have 'slow' written on them so they are not considered slow even if the bow is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
While technically also true, you are probably referring to "cumbersome"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Lennon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I'm still super confused about bows and arrows. Obviously the bow needs arrows for range and you can only use the arrow once unless you have a quiver ot special arrows. But what are the benefits of a one hit archer that might miss? Unless you have some sort of accuracy buff it seems pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Power
New Zealand
flag msg tools
lennoncc wrote:
I'm still super confused about bows and arrows. Obviously the bow needs arrows for range and you can only use the arrow once unless you have a quiver or special arrows. But what are the benefits of a one hit archer that might miss? Unless you have some sort of accuracy buff it seems pointless.

I assume you are talking about the Sunshark bow here? The Sunshark bow is very different from most of the other bows because it requires arrows to make ranged attacks. All the other bows have a ranged attack profile to start with, which means they don't need arrows in your grid to use. The Sunshark bow is still a usable weapon without arrows, and the arrows give you 3 highly accurate attacks (which stack incredibly well with a SPD buff or ACC buff) which are almost guaranteed to wound even most Lvl2 monsters. With a quiver you get enough arrows to last an entire showdown.

All the other special arrows (Claw Head arrow for example) are one use/single attack, but all have some kind of special status effect they are applying to the monster. -1EV for the monster is a huge boost for your party over the course of a long showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lennoncc wrote:
I'm still super confused about bows and arrows. Obviously the bow needs arrows for range and you can only use the arrow once unless you have a quiver ot special arrows. But what are the benefits of a one hit archer that might miss? Unless you have some sort of accuracy buff it seems pointless.

Accuracy buffs definitely help. Early on a red savior with a bow and claw head arrow is not a bad option for the auto-hit. Otherwise you just accept that sometimes the special arrow won't pay off, no big issue. The normal arrows aren't bad. And as mentioned the archer is a support character so keeping him away from the monster while still being able to deal some damage from 'safety' is pretty useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
My best archer is one I will probably never see again

Vespertine bow, claw head arrow, gloom arrow, double arrow use quiver, sleeping flower, death mask and dried achruas

The gloom arrows were a risk with the death mask, but my archer did break the game. She had to pull back to let others wound and get weapon proficiency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Roberts
Australia
flag msg tools
Just remember that the various arrows don't have the 'Bow' keyword so can't used the Bow Mastery/Specilisation to re-roll a failed hit with. It doesn't make a lot of sense outside of it was the easiest way to balance the more powerful arrows outside of the basic bow characteristics, but a lot of people play this wrong.

Personally, I don't build specific bow characters, instead, I run as many bows across the board as I can, and try to pack 3-4 claw head arrows (1 to each character) into gear grids because they make encounters far more reliable.

Ranged attacks are useful in most situations, so having characters able to engage at longer ranges regardless of hat roles you are focusing them is highly beneficial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The high tier Sunstalker bow is one of the strongest in the game. The quiver + arrows you can get from it are excellent, too, and its armor set works pretty well with an archer. I'd work toward that, for that archer, and toward getting the arrows you have available.

If you're thinking about which new expansions to get for bow characters, the Flower Knight has the best bow in the game for its difficulty to craft and the Slender Man has an excellent and fairly easy to craft arrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.