BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which ones of my games should I sleeve? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
Hello,

I've started boardgames and just red about sleeving cards is a must for games with secret objectives and such. Currently I own (and never played, still waiting for it to arrive at my postal office) :

Cosmic encounter (+ all xpac except alliance)
Robinson
Eldritch horror
Dead of winter
Dungeon Petz
Dawn of the zeds
Pandemic (+ the 3 xpacs)
Claustrophobia

Thank you for your thoughts on this issue. Just for info if a game doesn't need to be sleeved asap I will do it later (shipping costs more than the sleeves themselves... never ever live in south pacific if you like to massive order things).

Have a great day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Honestly, I don't think you need to sleeve any game. I agree that if you play games with secret objectives, hidden roles, etc. a lot that it can be worth sleeving them, but otherwise you're probably fine. That being said, of all those games, Dawn of the Zeds has the flimsiest cards, and would probably benefit the most from sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how many cards are in a game and which sleeves you will be using, the sleeving can cost more than the actual game. If the game is still available, that doesn't make much sense in my view.

Also, large decks with sleeves tend to shift while the sleeves are new.

Another point worth to consider: Do the cards get a lot of shuffle or are they touched a lot and hold in hands? If not, the sleeving might not be necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
Games where shuffling is common are the most important to sleeve. I have Cosmic with all expansions, and there are so many cars that I'm not too worried about 1 or 2 possibly getting marked. I've sleeved my Dead of Winter, and I think Pandemic wouldn't be a bad choice.

However, I wouldn't say sleeving cards is a "must". If you don't play the games a ton, and your group isn't careless, most games will hold up fine. Sleeve only if you want to. It can get expensive and is also very time consuming if you sleeve everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
Re,

Thank you for the welcoming and advices : ) I'll consider it when i've got the games then and warn my friends to not be brutal with the cards. Gonna see what happens!!

Good day / night!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you want to sleeve your games?

As far as i'm concerned, you should sleeve all of them. Some people will say that you just shouldn't sleeve them at all.

So, it seems you want to sleeve only a small portion of your games. But why so? To keep secret identities from being known? Well then, sleeve the cards when they're damaged only. But sleeve the whole set Do so when it is easy for you to differentiate a card from the others and it becomes problematic.

If you want to sleeve for any other reason, we'll need more info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
I would like to sleeve to avoid people recognize cards from marks or such things if it's secret objectives / traitor cards / ...

I would love to be able to sleeve them all but I can't justify the price, as I've said the shipping costs more than the packs : /

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloum wrote:
I would like to sleeve to avoid people recognize cards from marks or such things if it's secret objectives / traitor cards / ...

I would love to be able to sleeve them all but I can't justify the price, as I've said the shipping costs more than the packs : /

Don't you have local games shops in your area?

I don't know your games though so I can't help you all that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've been playing games for decades and have never sleeved any cards. I've had no card games ruined by not being sleeved. If you play with people who don't treat games badly, sleeves seem an unnecessary waste of time and money and plastic.

Of course if you play with people who treat cards badly and you can't get them to stop doing that, then it could be wise to sleeve your cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
No sadly, I live on a very small territory with less than 10 000 people ;(

Thank you for your replies everyone!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Personally I wouldn't sleeve any game, as it takes away so much of the fun, but if any Claustrophobia as it it out of print and probably will never come back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
borsook wrote:
Personally I wouldn't sleeve any game, as it takes away so much of the fun, but if any Claustrophobia as it it out of print and probably will never come back.

Wow didn't know that i'm glad i've insta bought a copy this morning. Is there any website to know when a game is out of print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Schwalenberg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
Depending on how many cards are in a game and which sleeves you will be using, the sleeving can cost more than the actual game. If the game is still available, that doesn't make much sense in my view.

I would say "cost more than the actual game" is quite nonsense.
Of course it is in relation to what sleeves you are using.
Premium-Sleeves of a high valued brand can be 4$ per 50 sleeves.
But I myself use sleeves that cost 1-2$ per 100 sleeves.

This year I sleeved nearly all my games.
Around 13.000 cards, mostly with sleeves from docsmagic, other special card sizes with sleeves from Swan Panasia.
All that around 70cent per game in median.

So my suggestion is:
If you can and want to: sleeve all your games.
Especially all expensive ones, OOP games and games that get played and/or shuffled a lot.

I simply don't get the argument "if the game is worn out, buy it new".
Why invest 10 bucks in a new game, when 1$ would be enough to preserve it in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krazuul wrote:

Of course it is in relation to what sleeves you are using.
Premium-Sleeves of a high valued brand can be 4$ per 50 sleeves.

Exactly what I was saying. FFG sleeves for example are up to 5.50 € per 50s pack and even more (depending on where you can get them). The base game of Dominion has about 500 cards. Sleeving them with expensive sleeves would cost more than the game itself.

Of course there are cheaper sleeves available, but some of them are also of poor quality.

I don't know about all the games, but Eldritch Horror has about 300 Cards in different sizes, some of them large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I've been playing games for decades and have never sleeved any cards. I've had no card games ruined by not being sleeved. If you play with people who don't treat games badly, sleeves seem an unnecessary waste of time and money and plastic.

Of course if you play with people who treat cards badly and you can't get them to stop doing that, then it could be wise to sleeve your cards.

I love to play with kids, but they tend to destroy the cards, so I sleeve the cards, even if the game is cheap and available, as I can't be bothered to re-buy it.

Also I hate marks in cards where this can matter, for instance in hanabi it's easy to recognize the back of a card by its marks, which ruins the game. It's a pain since it's impossible to sleeve those cards due to the format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Krazuul wrote:
I simply don't get the argument "if the game is worn out, buy it new".
Why invest 10 bucks in a new game, when 1$ would be enough to preserve it in the first place?

What's not to get? It's very simple:

From an economic point of view: the probability that the game wears out and so I would have to buy a new copy is far less than 10%. (Based on my personal historical experience with decades of game-playing, the probability is empirically 0%.) So paying $1 to preserve it is an expected loss of money. (Of course if you play with people who treat cards badly, the probability may be higher.)

From an aesthetic/pleasure point of view: playing a game with cards sleeved in practice is less enjoyable and more physically cumbersome, and reminds me of sitting in someone's living room where all the chairs and sofas are covered in clear plastic to protect them.

From a practical point of view: sometimes sleeved cards don't fit well in the box or insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Schwalenberg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
russ wrote:

From an economic point of view: the probability that the game wears out and so I would have to buy a new copy is far less than 10%. (Based on my personal historical experience with decades of game-playing, the probability is empirically 0%.) So paying $1 to preserve it is an expected loss of money. (Of course if you play with people who treat cards badly, the probability may be higher.)

Of course, as I stated, it is good to know, how often you are going to play a game.
But i think, if you have games, where it is absolutely necessary to NOT know, what cards are coming up next, or your opponents have in their hands (and especially so, when the cards have black borders!) you just have to sleeve the game, because the cards will become "unique" quite fast.
Also with games, where you have to do a lot of shuffling and a very uneven use of the cards (starter cards in deckbuilding games for example).
I don't know what kind of velvet gloves you are using handling you games, but cards get worn fairly quickly when they are played and go through a lot of hands.
And this 1-2$ per game for sleeves are very well spend for all these reasons and another one: eventually selling the game some day.

russ wrote:

From an aesthetic/pleasure point of view: playing a game with cards sleeved in practice is less enjoyable and more physically cumbersome, and reminds me of sitting in someone's living room where all the chairs and sofas are covered in clear plastic to protect them.

That is up to personal taste, I myself love shuffling with sleeved cards. And yes, it is quite a good way to show and say people to be a little careful with the game.
I don't mind my normal 32 cards deck for Skat etc. getting worn, because the deck itself just costs 2$ and is replaced fairly often because of beer drinking/spilling, and food and snacks eating evenings.
Sleeving it would not be practical.
But for example sleeving games like The Game ist just necessary.

russ wrote:

From a practical point of view: sometimes sleeved cards don't fit well in the box or insert.

Yep and i'm right there with you.
That is quite a problem to solve with nearly every game.
And every time there is a slightly other solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved a good amount of my games but I don't think that these games NEED to be sleeved.

The only game I recommend to sleeve is Robinson Crusoe. But use opaque sleeves. Why?
-The cards get shuffled a lot
-The opaque back doesn't show whether it is an event or just a task so you can't manipulate your shuffling.
(Event on top: "Oh I guess I haven't shuffled enough."
Task on top: "Yeah, I guess, now it's well shuffled and we are ready to go.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
-The opaque back doesn't show whether it is an event or just a task so you can't manipulate your shuffling.
(Event on top: "Oh I guess I haven't shuffled enough."
Task on top: "Yeah, I guess, now it's well shuffled and we are ready to go.")

Couldn't you simply not look at the deck during the final shuffling/cutting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shuffle it a fixed amount of times and whatever is on top stays there. But I've seen people do that. Well they also read the complete event card and not just the top so...

And they still haven't beaten every scenario.

[Edit: correctautocorrect]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take the current top card off the event deck, shuffle the new card into the remaining cards, then replace the top card without looking at the shuffled deck. Could be seen as cheating a bit, because it ensures that the adventure card doesn't turn up in the next turn. Whatevs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to sleeve:
Cosmic encounter (+ all xpac except alliance)
Eldritch horror

Sleeve mission objectives and hidden information:
Dead of winter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krazuul wrote:

You assume sleeves cost the same all over the world. The original poster has already stated they live in a territory with less than 10000 people. The cost of sleeving could be very prohibitive for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Schwalenberg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
But when he is ordering games, why not order sleeves from the same shop?
Or find a shop, that is shipping to him, selling that particular game and selling the sleeves?
Or, if he is buying used from BGG-members or similar, why not trying to ask them for help to get him a bunch of sleeves and shipping them with the game?

Yes, South Pacific is probably horrible in terms of shipping costs, but he already is paying these, so i would not count that argument (only if he is ordering insane amounts, but then he could order even more and sell them with a profit in his city, thus cancelling out the shipping costs, and so on)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sleeve the one(s) you're gonna play the most i guess. once you start sleeve though you will sleeve everything and get pissed off every time they dont fit back into the box. it makes shuffling a whole lot easier so those are the decks i initially started sleeving but now i've started to sleeve everything zombie

invest in some rubber bands aswell! sleeved cards might go flying in all directions when packing and unpacking without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.