martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This will be my second entry for the 2016 Mint Tin Design contest. This game is much simpler and should be up and component ready in no time.

Game Battle of Brit-Tin

Designer Martin Melbardis

Overview
Battle for Brit-Tin is a solitaire tower defense game designed to fit in a mint tin. The player takes control of the RAF during the battle of Britain in WW2 trying to defend London from German bombers. The game includes dice rolling for actions, dice for combat and upgrades for your fighter squads and defences such as radar and AA batteries.

Number of players: Solo

List of components:
-2 page rulebook
-6 small dice
-36 Mini cards
-4 Business cards
-30 mini Cubes
-16 tokens

Proof of Concept:

BATTLE OF BRIT-TIN RULES V.1.0

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B536qQUmHffaaXZsVjdMMUtYZzA...

LOW-INK PNP COMPONENTS V.1.0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B536qQUmHffaMFlXMHhMNGlaX3M...

List of things to do:
1. A few Private playtests
2. low-ink PNP components
3. Rules
4. Blind playtests and feedback (Still needs work)
5. Refine rules (Still needs work)
6. Full Art components

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: (WIP) Battle of Brit-Tin -2016 Mint Tin Design contest -Idea Phase
GAME LOG UPDATES
------------------

OCT.12.2016
Uploaded the Rulebook V0.1
A rough draft of the rules

OCT.17.2016
Uploaded Rulebook V0.2
Added upgrades, minor changes, now in PDF format

OCT.21.2016
Uploaded new PNP components PDF V.0.2
Added the missing South Map cards, Made some minor changes to 2 Luftwaffe blitz cards (changed the heading)and re-arranged the tokens on the pages

OCT.30.2016
Uploaded new Rulebook V.1.0
Added Factories to the game, Clarified Blip Reveal rules, Made changes to AA guns, Lots of Clarifications to previous rules

OCT.30.2016
Uploaded new PNP components V.1.0
added shaded areas to each map card for cube placement, bunched all cards together for easy cutting, changed the Blitz cards wordings and added a single lone wolf Luftwaffe ACE to a Radar blip card, added Factories to map cards N-2 and S-2, also resized the tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Basic concept of the game is
you have 3 airfields each of 1 squadron (3 fighters) The map is divided into 9 cards forming a 3x3 grid. One map card being London and three being the airfields that base your fighters.

Luftwaffe turn -The blitz begins..
Every turn the player flips over one Luftwaffe card for each map row (3 total) This card controls all luftwaffe formations on that specific row. It also indicates if a radar blip is spawned at extreme edge of the row. The card also mentions whether or not the bombers will bomb a map section if has a valid target on it (ie. if it has AA, a radar or airfield)

Radar blips are hidden information. They are revealed by either flying over a valid target (Ie. AA, Airfield or radar) or when your fighters move into the same location on the map.

Player turn (Actions)
On your turn, you roll 6 dice for actions.
1-2 Scramble
3-4 Intercept (move)
5 Heal or Build
6 Choose any action

You may assign any two actions to each squadron.

After each combat (when your fighters or even the enemy move into the same map area) Your squadron must land at their airfield. So the scramble action is very important as it allows a squadron to leave their airbase and get on the map. Intercept is also very important as it allows squadrons to move on the map.

Heal will allow you to bring squadrons back up to strength that have lost fighters in combat. It will also allow you to remove "Explosion" tokens from london and airfields that have been bombed.

Building allows you to construct AA batteries and radar installations that improve your defences.

Object of the game
You must survive the THREE Luftwaffe attacking waves. Each new wave is stronger than the last one. You lose the game if London takes 5 bombs and loses its moral to fight on.

Upgrades: Improving your squadrons

In combat everytime a squadron shoots down a Luftwaffe fighter or bomber, he adds one victory mark to his squadron card. These`victory marks represent XP/Victory points but are called Victory markings in game to represent the historical fact that each "kill" allowed a pilot to mark a cross on his plane to show off his victories.

Upgrades cards can be bought with Victory marks. If a squadron has enought marks, he may purchase upgrade cards. Each card has different costs and different bonuses. For example, ACE fighter will allow a player to upgrade a single fighter to an ace giving him a bonus in combat, Another will be called Foreign volounteers and will allow you to replace a loss of a fighter without having to roll a heal result on the dice... One will be called Improved tactics and will allow you to re-roll a combat dice. Some will be permanent, others will be a one-time use.

let me know what you think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks very cool so far.

I tried a similar theme in last year's mint tin contest, [WIP] Allied Bomber Run - 2015 Mint Tin Design Contest Entry...Contest Ready, with so-so results.

It was quick and easy, but just a luck based dice chucker. Yours looks better already. Looking forward to trying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
This looks very cool so far.

thanks. Much appreciated

Quote:
I tried a similar theme in last year's mint tin contest, [WIP] Allied Bomber Run - 2015 Mint Tin Design Contest Entry...Contest Ready, with so-so results.
It was quick and easy, but just a luck based dice chucker. Yours looks better already. Looking forward to trying it.

Cool. Thanks for the link... its always interesting to see what others have done with a similiar themed game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Added "the Upgrades" section to my 3rd post on the game concept.
Quote:

Upgrades: Improving your squadrons

In combat everytime a squadron shoots down a Luftwaffe fighter or bomber, he adds one victory mark to his squadron card. These`victory marks represent XP/Victory points but are called Victory markings in game to represent the historical fact that each "kill" allowed a pilot to mark a cross on his plane to show off his victories.

Upgrades cards can be bought with Victory marks. If a squadron has enought marks, he may purchase upgrade cards. Each card has different costs and different bonuses. For example, ACE fighter will allow a player to upgrade a single fighter to an ace giving him a bonus in combat, Another will be called Foreign volounteers and will allow you to replace a loss of a fighter without having to roll a heal result on the dice... One will be called Improved tactics and will allow you to re-roll a combat dice. Some will be permanent, others will be a one-time use.

let me know what you think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered using a yatzhee like mechanic for the player actions? Maybe allowing 1 or 2 rerolls?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Have you considered using a yatzhee like mechanic for the player actions? Maybe allowing 1 or 2 rerolls?

Thanks for the input/suggestion 4D6, much appreciated
Believe me, I have considered many options. I actually posted a thread asking about dice rolling for actions a few months back... Dice Rolling for actions?
The opinions varied slightly, however, What I managed to gather from the thread is to take away just enought freedom from players so that they have tought decisions to make with the dice but at the same time trying to minimise too much frustration on their part. If they don't get the dice/actions they want there will have to be other stuff to do to keep them occupied on their turn.

At first, I did want to include (possibly too many) options for re-rolls but a user mentioned..
Quote:
Too many rerolls, wildcards, manipulations, and so forth just make me wonder why you went with dice in the first place.

Which kinda influenced my final decision to have some re-roll and manipulation but at the same try to keep it to a minimum.

For Battle of Brit-tin, At the moment, The dice roll of a 6 gives the player the option to choose any action of his choice and there will be a few upgrade cards that can manipulate actions or give some re-rolls. This might change during playtests though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Managed to get my 1st alpha playtest done tonight after work. I only played throught a single wave just to see proof of concept/mechanics. It went pretty well It took about 15-20mins, but I was slowed as I was making rules/changes and taking notes as I went. I am aiming for a 30 min game (all 3 waves)

Couple of things to add to the rules or consider adding:

-Cannot build AA guns on the coast unless a Radar is already present.(this prevents players from placing AA guns on the coast to easily reveal radar blips (thats what radars
are for) Players may still build AA guns without radars anywhere else.

-(Possibility?) Radars give AA guns in the same location a bonus o shootdown enemy fighters/bombers?
(not sure about this one yet...however it seems like it would be an interesting combo to include in the game)

-Radars reveal blips in the same row as they appear before even reaching the coast, not just when they move into the same location (ie. like AA guns or Fighters for example)

-Radars can only be built on the coast.
(Because they are there for early warning)

-In combat, Fighters shoot down enemy on a roll of 4+, Aces (an upgrade) hit on 3+, Luftwaffe fighters shoot down a fighter on a 5+. Bombers shoot down on a 6 for every two bombers present. Maybe including a rule that if an enemy fighter is shot down, it may not make an attack roll? So the decision would be does the player aim for the enemy fighters 1st to minimise casualties? or do they go for the bombers that pose a larger threat long-term to winning the game?

-Action roll of a 6]..Choose any action or add a Victory mark to any fighter squad??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Solitaire! I love them types of games.

Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Solitaire! I love them types of games.

Subscribed!

Thanks!

Below is a very basic setup of how the game looks.
Also I have been working on the rules and should have a very rough version up by this weekend. Next on the list would be the PNP files to hopefully generate some blind playtests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is a preview of the low-ink PNP files I am currently working on...

Above is a Blip card used for spawning enemy Luftwaffe formations at the edge of the map.

Above is a Luftwaffe Blitz card which indicates how enemy Luftwaffe formations already spawned on the map will act (kinda like a basic A.I)

Almost finished the cards, next up are the rules (trying to cram everything into 4 pages is going to be quite the challenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

All low-ink cards and tokens are completed. Here are some more samples..

One of three Airfield cards

Sector C-1 of the map. The Main target to defend..London

Sector C-3 of the map. On the coast of England. A good place to build a radar

and the tokens...

and finally a new updated image of the setup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

A few days late, but I finally managed to finish a rought draft of the Rules. Its about 4 and a half pages at the moment. Got to try and get it down to 4 so it can fit in the mint tin. This is actually my first rulebook i've written in years, so any comments/advice/tips are very much welcome

BATTLE OF BRIT-TIN RULES V.0.1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7tGAFzIGX55TEwwQ3dOWGFEcGM...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting! I've enjoyed watching this game progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Very interesting! I've enjoyed watching this game progress.

Thanks Caroline

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Uploaded Rulebook V0.2 which you can find here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7tGAFzIGX55ZjktTnlCTnRNNTA...
A couple of changes made including adding upgrades, added some tweaks to old rules and clarifications. Also added some icons to make it look more flashy. The rulebook is now in PDF format as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

A very happy time indeed. Battle for Brit-Tin is now officially COMPONENT READY!
Rules are 4 pages and PNP low-ink components are 3 pages. Potential playtesters will have to provide 6 dice, 32 small cubes (in 5 different colors)and their best winston churchill inpersonation
Quote:
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

RULES
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7tGAFzIGX55ZjktTnlCTnRNNTA...

COMPONENTS
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7tGAFzIGX55N1psQlpMa25MMUU...

Now that I finally have my components up I will hopefully start playtesting other entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
You've been busy - adding this to my playtest list this weekend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
You've been busy - adding this to my playtest list this weekend

I have been busy and work is getting very hectic lately (pulling 12 hrs shifts 3 times a week)I've been meaning to post a session report of a playtest I did recently but haven't found the time yet.

If you do get a chance to playtest it that would be great Let me know how it goes Any comments/critiques would be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed yesterday and hope to test it by end of the week.

Dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Printed yesterday and hope to test it by end of the week.

Dark.

Awesome Let me know how it goes. Also if you have any rule related questions because as mentioned before, It was the first rulebook i've made in years.. please feel free to ask. Hopefully I did well explaining everything. I'm unfortunately slowly losing my english year by year (gulp)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Martin,

I just cut the components and found 3 of the Map Cards missing on the PnP sheets: S-1, S-2, S-3.

Maybe you can place the three Airfield Cards and the nine map cards on one sheet of paper in the correct position like shown on the setup graphic in the rulebook.

That way I can opt to print but not cut it into cards if I don't want to in my test games.

Dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hey Darkpadawan,
I really can't believe I missed that myself! I was working late trying to finish and I blame it on the fatigue

I'm on my way to work right now but when I get home I will condense the tokens to two pages and free up another row for the 3 missing map cards.

thanks again for catching that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.