United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First it was Council of Four. I thought maybe my kid wouldn't mind playing it because the rules are simple. As usual, he half-grudgingly put down his ipad and humored me with a game. And not as usual, he really got into it. It was especially nice for me because it's one of those games that are easy to play, but you can think far ahead, or not, as you please. So I just start with the handicap of having zero cards in hand and we both have a blast.

So after about six plays of that, I ventured to try a simplified version of Grand Austria Hotel. We played first without the Politics cards or the Emperor bonus tiles (so that going up that track just gave you the VP). I started with no food or drinks and gave him 5 extra kronin. He liked it more than Council of Four!

When we played this evening he insisted on starting with no handicap (but he didn't notice I still didn't take starting food & drinks). And we played with the Emperor bonus tiles, which caused some stress for him. But he still dug it and wants to include the Politics cards next time.

So thank you Signor Luciani for tearing my kid away from video games once in a while!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Luciani
Italy
Fermo
AP
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
With these kind of stories I have the greater satisfaction in designing games! Thank you for your post.
And I suggest Marco Polo, that in my opinion is the my "medium" euro that is more suitable for a younger players (expecially if they can play at Grand Austria!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter loves board games and this is definitely one of her favorites. Says a lot about a game's design that it can have deep meaningful decisions and still be approachable to a child. Though, I'd say that the children of gamers are more advanced than the average child.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Though, I'd say that the children of gamers are more advanced than the average child.

Without a doubt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.