Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you have to oppose? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arno Noms
msg tools
mb
It just came up in a pbf here on the forums (008 to be precise):

If my opponent is attempting a mission in a system where I already have leaders in it, can I choose not to oppose?

In the current example my opponent plays a homing beacon on Leia, setting her free while my next move would be to attack from the base anyhow yielding the exact same 3 systems as information that the empire would get from the beacon.

This leaves me in the unusual situation that if I successfully oppose, I'm worse off as Leia stays captured while if I fail, I get my leader free and nothing much happens.

So can I choose not to oppose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Yes, interesting question (I follow that PBF).

If we go by the wording alone, you have to oppose.

RR p. 09, "Opposition" subsection:
"If there are at least one Imperial and one Rebel leader in the
system, the mission is opposed, and players must roll dice to
determine whether the mission succeeds."

(Emphasis mine.)

I do not see anything indicating otherwise (there is also nothing saying you can roll less dice or anything like that), but it would be a good question for Corey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno Noms
msg tools
mb
I believe, that the wording on Homing Beacon should read that the leader gets freed regardless. I have a hard time imagining a successful contest:

Vader - You are free to go, Leia Organa
Leia - No! I'll stay here and refuse to leave this cell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as per the rules you oppose the mission since you have leaders there, but sending an additional leader from the pool to oppose is not mandatory.

thematically they arent setting her free, they just let her escape easily, then realise the homing beacon wont work and recapture her immediately before she gets too far away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thrombozyt wrote:
I believe, that the wording on Homing Beacon should read that the leader gets freed regardless. I have a hard time imagining a successful contest:

Vader - You are free to go, Leia Organa
Leia - No! I'll stay here and refuse to leave this cell!

"If successful, this leader is rescued."

I agree thematically that it's weird thematically, but the wording's pretty clear.

Maybe it's more like the Empire sees an opening to send in their sleeper beacon, but with a successful opposition that opening closes- yielding no reason to return the captured leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
The way I saw it in the PFB 008 is that Homing Beacon is one of the few missions that targets a captive and thus puts her icons in play. Since Madine and Piett were there duking it out for Infiltration, they contribute their intel icons along with Yularen and Leia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Wilkes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thematically it makes some sense - the Empire try and make it easy for Leia to escape while still making a token effort to catch her to sell the deception.

Unfortunately Leia is just really, really bad at escaping. Or some hyper-competent but ultimately going-to-get-force-choked Stormtrooper who wasn't in on the plan thinks he's about to get a big promotion for recapturing the escapee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
I soppose you do.

I'll be here all week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.