12 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacker's "Advantage"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
In the rules it says that due to Attacker' Advantage, their special abilities are resolved first.

I wonder if this can still be called an advantage. Obviously, with the new factions, it is always more convenient to get your +2 Power bonuses after Saxony/Nordics use their -2 Power ability. Hence the question:

1. Attacker always resolves their ability first and "advantage" may just be a bit misleading

2. The rationale for designing that rule was to give the attacker an advantage so with the expansion it should be rephrased to "may choose which player's ability resolves first".

I know the exact phrasing is clear at the moment but I am just curious what the actual intention was while designing the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it always more convenient to get your +2 power bonuses after Saxony/Nordic use their -2 Power ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The order will only matter if you are near either end of the power track. Which is to your advantage depends on the situation.

Which raises another question: if you have 14 power and get first +2 then -2 at the start of the same combat, do you get to place your 16 power star?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaus O K wrote:
Which raises another question: if you have 14 power and get first +2 then -2 at the start of the same combat, do you get to place your 16 power star?
If the +2 resolves first, then I'd say yes. If the -2 resolves first, obviously, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Klaus O K wrote:
If the +2 resolves first, then I'd say yes. If the -2 resolves first, obviously, no.

On what's been said on here - the general answer is as soon as you place that 6th star it's game-over - I'd say yes, given the above order stipulation. I'd also guess that this would cancel the combat, too, and the moving units would get moved back, otherwise you could have the situation where winning that combat could cause a "7th" star to be placed (if the attacker won and still had combat slots available) or two people to be on 6 stars (if the defender needed to win the combat to get their 6th star) - neither of which, it's been made pretty clear, can happen.

It's a bit of an edge-case so you may want clarification from Jamey. But if it is legit, it's a pretty sneaky way to get that 6th star out =8)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a 6th star would be placed, the game immediately ends, even if other things were already set in motion to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
jameystegmaier wrote:
If a 6th star would be placed, the game immediately ends, even if other things were already set in motion to happen.

Jamey, thank you for the clarification!

Could you also help clarify the issue I raised in the OP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much every rule of Scythe combat is intended to make combat happen smoothly, without confusion, and to give a slight edge to the attacker (lest there be no attacking at all). That's the case with this rule.

If we look at all of the various combat abilities, I can't find one that gives you an advantage if taken second instead of first. At worst, perhaps this is just semantics: You can read it as "attacker first" instead of "attacker advantage."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Pretty much every rule of Scythe combat is intended to make combat happen smoothly, without confusion, and to give a slight edge to the attacker (lest there be no attacking at all). That's the case with this rule.

If we look at all of the various combat abilities, I can't find one that gives you an advantage if taken second instead of first. At worst, perhaps this is just semantics: You can read it as "attacker first" instead of "attacker advantage."

Thank you for making it crystal clear

Just to clarify what I meant - when you are near the end of the track (1, 15 or 16), it actually makes difference. Let's take 2 examples:

1. 1 power (expansion faction) and fighting Saxony on a Tunnel:
a) 1 - 2 = 0 (no negative values); 0 + 2 = 2
b) 1 + 2 = 3; 3 - 2 =1

2. 16 power (expansion faction) and fighting Saxony on a Tunnel:

a) 16 - 2 = 14; 14 + 2 = 16
b) 16 + 2 = 16 (max value); 16 - 2 = 14

However, as mentioned - it just to clarify what I had in mind. The explanation is perfectly clear and answers the question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see. If you are the Togawa faction with the Ronin ability and a faction causes you to lose 2 power, it's better for you to have 0 or 1 power, take the -2 (dropping you to 0), then gain your 2 power. I think the effect is minimized if you're at 15 or 16 power--at that point, you already have more than enough power to spend for at least 2 combats.

So yes, you're right--it honestly didn't occur to me when designing Ronin. I wouldn't change the rule, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like corner cases really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Ah, I see. If you are the Togawa faction with the Ronin ability and a faction causes you to lose 2 power, it's better for you to have 0 or 1 power, take the -2 (dropping you to 0), then gain your 2 power. I think the effect is minimized if you're at 15 or 16 power--at that point, you already have more than enough power to spend for at least 2 combats.

So yes, you're right--it honestly didn't occur to me when designing Ronin. I wouldn't change the rule, though.

Thanks for the final ruling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.