$30.00
Tolga CORAPCI
Belgium
flag msg tools
There are two exceptional sea hunting biomes in the game: Bowhead and Orca.

Each of these grant an enormous 13 VP (if the hunting faction remains Polytheistic)to their hunters (in addition to rich return in babies and energy).

If one of the factions succesfully hunts and collects its 13 VP (which is not very difficult when you concentrate all your hunters on them), then to equalize this success each other faction must hunt and collect all of the other biomes in the game (which is practically improbable compared to the risk and return of these huge animals simply because of competition). Especially, Thule, with a given ability to reroll 3's and 4's in sea hunting biomes would hardly miss the opportunity.

When this happens the game seems to turn into a "convert to monetheism" rush and Polytheistic game seems to be "over" (for the remaining factions). (Note: Yes there is gang on the leader attitude of the multiplayer games, but this is not a design feature).

I am very curious the reasons which lead the designer to "rate" these animals incomparably high compared to the rest from a VP stand point. Yes they are huge animals, but they already give great returns in terms of babies and energy. Why terminating Trophy game at one stroke with one of these? Wouldn't 8 or 9 VP be good enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that you also gain points from having lots of dudes, so you could also try to kill all the dudes of the guy manages to get the big score.

We have not found it easy to catch these big guys, but I guess it depends on how aggressively you pay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Turquine wrote:
There are two exceptional sea hunting biomes in the game: Bowhead and Orca.

Each of these grant an enormous 13 VP (if the hunting faction remains Polytheistic)to their hunters (in addition to rich return in babies and energy).

If one of the factions succesfully hunts and collect its 13 VP (which is not very difficult when you concentrate all your hunters on them), then to equalize this success each other faction must hunt and collect all of the other biomes in the game (which is practically improbable compared to the risk and return of these huge animals simply because of competition). Especially, Thule, with a given ability to reroll 3's and 4's in sea hunting biomes would hardly miss the opportunity.

When this happens the game seems to turn into a "convert to monetheism" rush and Polytheistic game seems to be "over" (for the remaining factions). (Note: Yes there is gang on the leader attitude of the multiplayer games, but this is not a design feature).

I am very curious the reasons which lead the designer to "rate" these animals incomparably high compared to the rest from a VP stand point. Yes they are huge animals, but they already give great returns in terms of babies and energy. Why terminating Trophy game at one stroke with one of these? Wouldn't 8 or 9 VP be good enough?

I think in the next edition I will try 9 VP for the two whales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolga CORAPCI
Belgium
flag msg tools
Muemmelmann wrote:
Note that you also gain points from having lots of dudes, so you could also try to kill all the dudes of the guy manages to get the big score.

We have not found it easy to catch these big guys, but I guess it depends on how aggressively you pay

With one alpha and 8+ hunters and rerolls for 3 and 4's, Thule can catch them quite easily. These rerolls reduce animal bite probability and the reward of babies usually makes up more than the casualties.

To be crystal clear, I am not talking about an auto-victory situation here. And I am definitely not saying that it breaks the game. I am aware that there are other VP acquisition possibilities.

However 13 VP at one strike appears "enormous"! Difficult to catch up in trophy game after that. So it appears to cut-off a huge branch of the game algorithm with one roll.

So why such a huge VP advantage for a single card?

It appears to take out a lot from the game!

What does it bring in the game designwise?

Edit: When I posted I had not seen Phil's post. Thanks Phil for the answer. It makes a lot of sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems you were right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United Kingdom
Peckham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Turquine wrote:
What does it bring in the game designwise?

With the current VP schedule, if someone bags a whale, it provides an unignorable incentive to convert to monotheism and explore that whole side of the game. Desperate conversion rolls in the last round (either I make them see the Christian light or I lose) can be beautifully tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's important to consider how crucial these animals were to the survival of these cultures. By not going after them, you may not be as successful.

May funnel you into a particular strategy a bit, but I think it is historically accurate. I don't think the game needs to be perfectly balanced, where my tribe can survive by eating plants and hunting rabbits. If that's my strategy, maybe I should go extinct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.