Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: How many endings are there for each scenario? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andris Borbíró
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi! Is there any official or unofficial collection of possible endings? I would like to know whether it is worth to play the first mission again or not, and maybe how we should act different to see a different ending. I think this need is pretty obvious and many people will be curious. If there is no information of the sort on the net, we could start collecting it here...

Opinions/experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ramiz wrote:
Hi! Is there any official or unofficial collection of possible endings? I would like to know whether it is worth to play the first mission again or not, and maybe how we should act different to see a different ending. I think this need is pretty obvious and many people will be curious. If there is no information of the sort on the net, we could start collecting it here...

Opinions/experiences?

From the rules videos and playthroughs I've watched it's a pretty straightforward succeed/fail situation with the scenarios. It's got a story but it's not a story driven game.

However, once you beat all the scenarios there are things you can add to the scenarios to increase the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Holy Cow!
Why would you want to increase the difficulty?!
I shudder at the thought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Spoilers, obviously:

Most scenarios have one successful ending. 'Cycle of Eternity' has 2. One for if you proceed quickly and disrupt the ritual and one if you were slower and closed the portal. There is also a failure ending with the house being destroyed.

'Escape from Innsmouth' and 'Shattered Bonds' have a successful ending and a 'qualified' success ending (you completed the investigation but not perfectly). In 'Innsmouth' that is escaping the town but not collecting enough evidence, in 'Shattered Bonds' it is re-imprisoning the Star Spawn but letting some of the family members die. You get a failure ending if they all die. In 'Innsmouth' you get a failure ending if the mob destroys the dock (i'm not sure if it's possible to have the boat leave without you).

'Rising Tide' and 'Dearly Departed' have alternative endings where you escape with your life but didn't complete the investigation. In the latter instance that is by being too slow to destroy the machine, in the former it is incorrectly guessing the suspect.

I haven't yet played 'Hangman's Hill'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HOLY CRAP I AM AN IDIOT. I responded to this before drinking coffee this morning. I thought this was in the Mechs Vs Minions forums. Ignore everything I said.

Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Spoilers, obviously:

Most scenarios have one successful ending. 'Cycle of Eternity' has 2. One for if you proceed quickly and disrupt the ritual and one if you were slower and closed the portal. There is also a failure ending with the house being destroyed.

'Escape from Innsmouth' and 'Shattered Bonds' have a successful ending and a 'qualified' success ending (you completed the investigation but not perfectly). In 'Innsmouth' that is escaping the town but not collecting enough evidence, in 'Shattered Bonds' it is re-imprisoning the Star Spawn but letting some of the family members die. You get a failure ending if they all die. In 'Innsmouth' you get a failure ending if the mob destroys the dock (i'm not sure if it's possible to have the boat leave without you).

'Rising Tide' and 'Dearly Departed' have alternative endings where you escape with your life but didn't complete the investigation. In the latter instance that is by being too slow to destroy the machine, in the former it is incorrectly guessing the suspect.

In Escape from innsmouth there is another ending as well. It's actually the "true" ending if you know your lovecraftian horror, but it's still a negative ending I believe

Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you collect every piece of evidence there is and check the notebook, it happens automatically.

Edit: Whoops, there's another that I forgot.

Killing the mob also gives you an alternate ending with different text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Doma0997 wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
Spoilers, obviously:

In Escape from innsmouth there is another ending as well. It's actually the "true" ending if you know your lovecraftian horror, but it's still a negative ending I believe

If you collect every piece of evidence there is and check the notebook, it happens automatically.

Edit: Whoops, there's another that I forgot.

Killing the mob also gives you an alternate ending with different text.

I'd heard of those but not personally seen them yet, so didn't feel qualified to mention them. The first one, I'm not sure of the trigger for... I'm pretty certain I've collected every piece of evidence and it didn't happen... but I could be mistaken. Is it possible that it's 'random'?

Innsmouth is definitely the most interesting scenario.

volnon wrote:

Holy Cow!
Why would you want to increase the difficulty?!
I shudder at the thought!

Maybe because of experiences like I just had, 'beating' Sentinel Hill on the very first attempt. I'd be pretty annoyed to have paid for that scenario.

In my opinion, anything they rate below 4 Stars should be considered 'easy' as 2 of them we beat at the first attempt (Sentinel Hill and Rising Tide) and the other took us 2 (and the 1st game of that one (Cycle of Eternity) was our first play of the game).

To date not a single scenario has taken us more than 3 plays to get the best ending.

I think that with replayability in this game already an issue they need to leave the idea of graduated difficulty and just make all of them from now on as challenging as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some scenarios also have unique endings for Investigator Eliminated. I've seen them for Dearly Departed and I think Rising Tide, but I don't know the conditions to get them instead of the generic ones. (Just tried starting all six scenarios and hitting the button on the first turn, but that didn't do it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:

I think that with replayability in this game already an issue they need to leave the idea of graduated difficulty and just make all of them from now on as challenging as possible.

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the difficulty given for each scenario seems a bit weak to me. I beat are very nearly beat every scenario I try on my first try. At 4 and 5 stars, I would more expect to have to play it twice at least. But that's coming from someone who likes difficult games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Have you seen the "Win by claiming all clues yourself?"

I know it says in the start that if you find all you can solve it here and now. I felt pretty sure we found all in one of my playthroughs and still wasnt able so tried going through it again to see whether i was missing something. We had the following clues.

Amulet(If that is a clue percé)
The one from the puzzlebox
The statue from the store
The one from the newspaper on the toilet
The one from the boat rental
The one from the library
The one from the FBI agents room

Are there any i am missing? Clicked every search token in my standalone runthrough so if there is they must be somehow time based or something the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

No.

Thanks for the stimulating discussion! You really made me re-examine my viewpint!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

No.

Thanks for the stimulating discussion! You really made me re-examine my viewpint!

Not everyone feels like arguing about everything. Yet, still, they may feel compelled to let you know that they don't agree with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
DancingFool wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

No.

Not everyone feels like arguing about everything. Yet, still, they may feel compelled to let you know that they don't agree with you.

That IS arguing, just badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.