Subject: Is Poison able to reduce the Knight to 0 cubes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a situation occur at the weekend where the poor Knight found herself stymied.

The Goblins got an early Poison attack on the Knight while her Grit was below 5 so she only had the two starting cubes. The Knight was in a dead-end when this happened. The Goblin tribe's strength was 2 higher than the Knights so both the Knight's cubes were removed to the Entrance tile. On the Cave turn it played a rock slide and now the hapless Knight was trapped until such time as the Cave decided to move the rock slide.

Ignoring any tactical considerations about whether what happened was good play or not, I wanted to confirm from a rules perspective that it is possible for the Knight to be reduced to 0 cubes?

For some reason I had it in my head that the Knight would always have a minimum of 1 cube available, but I couldn't find this anywhere in the rules so not sure why I thought this.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Van der Meulen
Belgium
Bornem
flag msg tools
I'm certainly no expert on the game, but given the layout of the grit track on the Knight board, I always had the feeling that, technically speaking, the Knight starts at 0 grit and thus also 0 hero cubes.
Of course, at the start of the game, the first thing the Knight will do is exploring 1 of the 4 dark tiles, automatically gaining 1 grit and therefore 2 cubes. That is probably why it is always said that the Knight starts with 2 cubes.
So yes, to my feeling the Knight could indeed end up with 0 grit and no cubes at all. In that case the knight could only continue if she had the possibility to explore an adjacent dark tile after this happened, thus gaining 1 grit and 2 cubes.
In your case however the situation seems quite hopeless for the Knight...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StefVdM wrote:
I always had the feeling that, technically speaking, the Knight starts at 0 grit and thus also 0 hero cubes.

The first two cubes are on space 0. Thus the Knight starts with two cubes. It's in the rules under "Setup".

Da Rules wrote:
Place 2 Hero cubes near your player board. (These tokens are the two shown on the "0" space on your Grit track.)

As for the OP's question...

Quote:
Is it possible for the Knight to be reduced to 0 cubes?

It would seem so from a strict reading of the rules, though I expect the designers intended otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Knight can never be reduced below her original two cubes. Poison would have no effect if used on her in that situation.

ADDED: The same applies to things where she normally has the option to discard cubes (Axe, Potion Kit, and Light). She can't use that discard effect if she has only 2 cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks for confirming that, Kyle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Dunn
United States
Newberg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
The Knight can never be reduced below her original two cubes. Poison would have no effect if used on her in that situation.

ADDED: The same applies to things where she normally has the option to discard cubes (Axe, Potion Kit, and Light). She can't use that discard effect if she has only 2 cubes.

I also found myself in this situation in an earlier game (early poison, only two cubes) but couldn't find a statement in the book to rule otherwise, so I handily lost the game having no cubes and being very far away from the entrance. Thanks for clarifying this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a rule for this, but I haven't been able to find. The intent is the Knight can never go below or voluntarily spend her way below 2 Hero Tokens, nor can they be held this way.

Ironically Hero Cubes were put into the game the first time my wife got stuck down a long hall and had to spend 4 turns walking out and I made the startling realization that wasn't fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely played this wrong before!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.