Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I am looking for games that meet the following criteria:
- main element is to fulfil missions, similar to games like Yedo(/Lords of Waterdeep): go to a certain location, bring certain items, pay something and get a bonus (money/victory points/items)
- players move their character(s) on a map to collect the items and fulfil the missions (that's where it differs from worker placement games like main element is to fulfil missions, similar to games like Yedo/Lords of Waterdeep)
- a *clever* movement system, no roll-and-move
- low/no player vs player fighting, or even better, no real "fighting" at all (especiallly not based on dice rolling) (rather Euro-ish)

Optional:
- use several of your characters to complete more difficult missions (or team up with an opponent for single missions.)
- trade items with other players
- low on health scales/talent checks

(A cross-over between Yedo (missions and items) and Candamir: The First Settlers) (map, player boards) would describe it quite well, I think)

I am looking forward to your suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P.
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Thebes (Jenseits von Theben).

Players move on a map to historical sites to excavate and find artifacts, with which they can gain victory points at expositions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound (Third Edition) is exactly the game you're looking for. Adventuring on a map to accomplish a multitude of missions, visit cities to buy items, build your character to take on the end-game boss. There's only 1 character in the base game that has a power that encourages pvp combat, so each hero is mostly free to do their own thing. The combat doesn't involve dice, rather it uses tokens representing items and abilities that are flipped and manipulated during battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ion Iovan Arthur Codrut
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Covert meets your demands. It is also a worker placement, mission fulfilling game - but it uses dice to select actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also check out The Witcher Adventure Game. There might be a little more combat than you are looking for, but it isn't player-to-player combat. But there are quests that the players are trying to complete to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko it's a Panda thing. The card draw give tasks/missions
Elder Sign it's a lovecraft thing.the cards on the table have to be completed.
Darkest Night (First edition) it's a dark thing. Defeat the mini missions dropped by the necromancer while ultimately trying to stop him.

All these have a slight twist on what you are after but add nice variation if you like completing tasks within a game .

EDIT Lords of Waterdeep is a pretty darn good game to top for this and you already enjoy it.
Wanted to drop Dungeon Petz too. It's a pet thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the urge to recommend Legends of Andor.

Some people complain about how you lose the game if you kill everything on sight, so this might be right up your alley. It is basically a coop puzzle where you have to be very carefull and reluctant about who you fight, or if you should fight at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to be describing Mage Knight Board Game , in which the "combat" with dungeon denizens and the like involves puzzle solving with cards and tokens but no random element. Though there are no "missions" per se, you do have to choose which path you will follow and which locations you will try to defeat in order to win various advancements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drdranetz wrote:
You seem to be describing Mage Knight Board Game , in which the "combat" with dungeon denizens and the like involves puzzle solving with cards and tokens but no random element.
??? I don't see the slightest similarity between MW and the OP's description.

Anyway, how about Middle-Earth Quest?
It's an asymmetrical game with one player playing Sauron and the other 1-3 players playing heroes. Each side has a hidden main objective required to win the game. The heroes travel the country-side, solving quests, revealing events and trying to gain allies.
Meanwhile Sauron tries to expand his influence, hinder the heroes, and places some hidden monsters.
The game uses some clever multi-purpose cards that are used for movement and combat maneuvers in addition to representing a hero's life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P.
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also suggest Himalaya or the newer variant Lords of Xidit. The last one includes fighting monsters, but combat is handled a lot like fulfilling missions in Lords of Waterdeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your recommendations so far!
I will check the games out and maybe comment on the tipp...

On the theme:
- the Old West would be cool
- I don't fancy fantasy

Young, rich and sexy wrote:
I'd suggest Thebes (Jenseits von Theben).

Players move on a map to historical sites to excavate and find artifacts, with which they can gain victory points at expositions.

I played Thebes years ago though I have never owned it. It was ok IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Runebound (Third Edition) is exactly the game you're looking for. Adventuring on a map to accomplish a multitude of missions, visit cities to buy items, build your character to take on the end-game boss. There's only 1 character in the base game that has a power that encourages pvp combat, so each hero is mostly free to do their own thing. The combat doesn't involve dice, rather it uses tokens representing items and abilities that are flipped and manipulated during battle.

This one looks very interesting indeed! (fresh take on the movement part)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arthuriovan wrote:
Covert meets your demands. It is also a worker placement, mission fulfilling game - but it uses dice to select actions.

nice game though I would prefer a map of a smaller scale (as in Runebound)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odysseus3 wrote:
You could also check out The Witcher Adventure Game. There might be a little more combat than you are looking for, but it isn't player-to-player combat. But there are quests that the players are trying to complete to win the game.

I am not particularly keen on the combat part, the support missions and the player powers/boards look quite cool though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your recommendations!

GitFeatures wrote:
Takenoko it's a Panda thing. The card draw give tasks/missions

neat, a bit on the light side

GitFeatures wrote:
Elder Sign it's a lovecraft thing.the cards on the table have to be completed.

will have to take a closer look

GitFeatures wrote:
Darkest Night (First edition) it's a dark thing. Defeat the mini missions dropped by the necromancer while ultimately trying to stop him.

way to dark for me - unfortunately
GitFeatures wrote:

Wanted to drop Dungeon Petz too. It's a pet thing.

lacks a map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror maybe? but there is some fighting in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.