Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In all my hobbies (games, books, tv) I love the big sprawling epics, which suggests from a gameplay perspective, KDM could well be a great game for me, if I could find the people to play it with.

However, I've never been that into "old school" miniatures games, where you have to build the miniatures before you can play with them, and the expectation is to paint them also. As much as I sometimes think about it, I've never painted a mini in my life. Also, my gaming budget doesn't really cope with that purchase model. The closest I've ever come is spending ~£100 on X-Wing.

So with the 2nd edition coming up, at potentially a cheaper price point than the recent "retail" price, I'm in a quandary as to whether it's really worth the money I'd be putting in to it, or would it never see the table because I'd never get around to building the minis. How much game is there (and how much replayability) in the core box, and how much game do the expansions add?

I'd be especially interested to get views from people who weren't big miniatures gamers previously, but have taken the plunge on KDM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also never been into minis gaming. My only previous experience was assembling the first edition of Super Dungeon Explore, which required it. (And which received the same kind of forum responses about the assembly requirement.)

With the online guides available at Vibrant Lantern, they are really not hard to assemble. I don't see myself painting them any time in the near future, because (1) that would require a whole 'nother hobby for me and (2) they already look pretty great with no paint.

The core game replayability is phenomenal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't know until you try. I don't really like painting, but the results keep me going.

Reaper Miniatures has released its first Learn to Paint Kit. and currently has an October promotion.
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/learn%20to%20paint%20k...

Games Workshop has its Battle of Vedros starter paint set and miniatures.
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/06/breaking-battle-for-v...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phoenixandy wrote:
In all my hobbies (games, books, tv) I love the big sprawling epics, which suggests from a gameplay perspective, KDM could well be a great game for me, if I could find the people to play it with.

However, I've never been that into "old school" miniatures games, where you have to build the miniatures before you can play with them, and the expectation is to paint them also. As much as I sometimes think about it, I've never painted a mini in my life. Also, my gaming budget doesn't really cope with that purchase model. The closest I've ever come is spending ~£100 on X-Wing.

So with the 2nd edition coming up, at potentially a cheaper price point than the recent "retail" price, I'm in a quandary as to whether it's really worth the money I'd be putting in to it, or would it never see the table because I'd never get around to building the minis. How much game is there (and how much replayability) in the core box, and how much game do the expansions add?

I'd be especially interested to get views from people who weren't big miniatures gamers previously, but have taken the plunge on KDM.

My two cents:

- I had never assembled a mini before, and it's quite easy (with a few exceptions and the appropriate tools) www.vibrantlantern.com .Painting is another story...I wouldn't have the skills nor the time to paint them...yet.

- KDM is hands down the best game I own in my humble collection. The core game alone provides for a ton of replayability and gameplay time (I'd say hundreds of hours easily).

- The game seamlessly blends a ton of great mechanisms into an awesome dark/hardcore survival experience with a lot of depth/interesting decision making, while keeping the rules quite simple (=it's not a difficult or complex game rulewise).

- You have a great theme + gruesome tactical combat + and abstract-event based hunt phase + a sort of civilization / resource management /evolve settlement phase + cooperative gameplay + a hardcore survival experience which has you out of your comfort zone for the entire game + a deep narrative epxerience in which every event has a precise influence on the game mechanics and variables. These elements together provide a truly unique experience unlike any other game out there that I know of.

- The expansions add a lot of content (i'd say that overall more than the core game), including new monsters, new game mechanics, new game elements and even brand new campaigns. Refer to the bgg topics for a detailed description of what they add, and which ones are more likely to suit your preferences.

- KDM is not for everyone though. The main cons i'd list include $$$$$. It's also not suitable for hardcore eurogamers, people who don't like messing with minis or the fact that a bad roll can ruin your day (though most of the times you can somehow try to put the odds to your favour / there is no perma-death, for the important thing is the settlement as a whole, not the individual characters), or for people who hate to do some record-keeping, for instance.

- I would suggest that you try to investigate as much as you can without running into spoiler ground.

Hope it helped. Please feel free to make any further question you deem appropriate. The KDM-loving community is numerous and willing to share this awesome experience out of plain love for this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Perry
United States
Coral Springs
FL
flag msg tools
TWIST Gaming
mbmbmbmb
If you are interested in seeing how the game plays we play on Twitch every week and allow chat to play along. https://www.twitch.tv/twitchgamenight

As for putting together the mini's you could use proxy mini's if it takes you awhile to put them together.

The replayability is very high I have to say we played 45+ hours on stream and haven't even beat the campaign. Off stream probably put 3-4x more hours and only beat the campaign once.

Each campaign takes ~25 years and each year takes about an hour and half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phoenixandy wrote:

However, I've never been that into "old school" miniatures games, where you have to build the miniatures before you can play with them, and the expectation is to paint them also.

Are tabletop miniatures games "old school?" I've just never seen that connection before- especially since the miniature hobby is stronger than it was back in the good old days.

If assembling minis is the only aspect you have an issue with, then this game still might be fore you. You will not assemble the whole thing at once- instead, KDM is designed to allow you to assemble minis mostly one at a time in between sessions (you'll need to assemble the lion and the 4 starting survivor minis in order to start playing, but after that it really is one mini in between sessions that you'll need).

Unlike something like super dungeon 1st ed or shadow of brimstone where you have to assemble 40+ minis before playing the game.

Replayability is very high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
phoenixandy wrote:

A mate introduced me to boardgames around October 2015, being a PC gamer, and I never painted or assembled a mini in my life. I got hooked on boardgames and after enjoying Mage Knight and Robinson Crusoe I was searching for another solo play board game, preferably something smaller, quicker, easier to setup and cheaper... oh the irony
I was about to buy Hoplomachus before I stumbled of KD, in February, I don't know how. I debated for over a week whether to blow $400 + $100 shipping on KD, my budget was only about $200. I decided to get rid of some clutter in my apartment and made up the extra cash and went for KD.

As long as you're not a freakin' spazoid, the miniature assembly should be a breeze, I had no problems and thoroughly enjoyed it. You don't need to paint them either, I think they look quite nice grey, but I did decide to paint them and I'm enjoying that too. Technically, you really don't need the miniatures to play the game, they each come with their own base. So, if you haven't yet assembled the Phoenix and have it's fight coming up, just use the base in the meantime and the coloured tokens for the survivors, the game will play exactly the same.

The gameplay itself is INSANELY replayable, I've never come across a game digital or tabletop, with this much replayability.
Not that I've ever found KD boring, after constant play, but it gets... emotionally draining and exhausting, at times
The painting and miniature assembly provides a perfect respite for me to relax and take things slow for a while, this only adds to the replayability and bang for your buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Remember something very important. In addition to playing with friends, you can play solo without the game being watered or dumbed down. This gives it a lot more replaybility. Most of my time with the game has been solo and I've enjoyed it as much as when I play with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened a lot before anyway (and will still happen a lot): when someone asks the community of a game whether he should buy that game, that person is better off without buying it.

The point is, something of the game does not convince you at all, but you want to try the game, so you try hard to rationalize why you should get that... But in the end you will feel disappointed, because any made up reason cannot change your gut feeling.

Now, there is $30 disappointment and $400 disappointment. You don't want any, especially the latter.

That said, big fans here, and this game is my personal favorite by far, in almost two years now, it's like not a second has passed. But my case was different: I missed the Kickstarter, read a very good session report, became obsessed and found a copy at black Friday sale two years ago.

Yoda said this best: "do, or do not. There is no try"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't interested in assembling minis, because there is a lot of that (especially if you want to assemble all the armor kits). The pieces fit beautifully, but it still takes a lot of time.

I'm also not convinced the game will be much cheaper at the next Kickstarter. Even if it's slightly less than the MSRP, it'll probably still be around $300 (plus you'll probably want a couple of expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I loved/ love it,
2) loved the simple/intricate mechanics
3) settlement phase showdown feedback loop is incredible
4) I disliked the nightmarish horror side.
5) expensive
6) Lack of people to play it with and solo managing 4 survivors and book keeping even with the ipad app, was a downside.

I sold it, thus the past tense above (finances at the time, so no real regrets) but if finances improve then I will reacquire...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.