One Night Ultimate Werewolf» Forums » General

Subject: Ways to balance for 10+ players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I work at a family entertainment center that regularly hosts parties of at least 10 at a time. This game doesn't seem that difficult to grasp at all, but I get that younger kids probably wouldn't work for it. I proposed it to my manager that we make this an option for groups with older kids. She demanded that it be rebranded with no killing, so I ended up making our own re-theme like a jewel heist, and you have to figure out who the thieves are to take to jail.

All that setup aside, I've been reading some of the threads here, and it suggests having more than 10 players would make this game unbalanced as there aren't enough werewolves compared to the villagers. With the cards as packaged, not counting the Doppleganger (way too hard to introduce to new players), it seems like there'd be enough for 12 players (15 role cards, 3 in the center). Would it be appropriate to add 1 or 2 werewolves to the mix? I would guess a 12-player game with 3 werewolves would make for interesting shenanigans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
You can add as many Werewolves as you want, or think you need.

But there are alternatives which are potentially more interesting, especially if you include Daybreak: Doppelganger, Minion, Alpha Wolf, Curator and Paranomal Investigator can all result in more wolves, or allies for wolves, without the blunt instrument of just including an extra Werewolf.

I will say, though, that grasping the rules isn't the difficult bit. Developing the depth of thinking to do things which make the game interesting is a little harder.

Possibly Resistance would be a better choice: it's slightly more resilient to the weaknesses of individual players. It needs more people than ONUw to play well, but it doesn't sound like that's your problem!

Also, there's more to think about and remember with more players. Maybe two groups of six would work better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you already made your rebranded version? Does the jewel theme work with the app? Because thats half the game imo.

You can use some alternative roles from the Daybreak expansion - browse it to see whats good. Or a bonus pack.

I wouldnt worry too much for balance esp if its meant to be for a party environment. Though tbh I would avoid this at ten or more personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.