Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cry Havoc, El Grande, Inis, Blood Rage, Kemet, Cyclades, Chaos in the Old World, Shogun, etc....So many great games that for many people are insta-buys. Nonetheless, is there any area control game that feels epic but still works well at low player counts? I guess games that rely on bidding as a main mechanism are excluded form the start (Cyclades). However, is there something fundamentally pro-high player counts within the area control genre? Or are there exceptions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Dodger
United States
River Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it's epic but how about Small World?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Cry Havoc, El Grande, Inis, Blood Rage, Kemet, Cyclades, Chaos in the Old World, Shogun, etc....So many great games that for many people are insta-buys. Nonetheless, is there any area control game that feels epic but still works well at low player counts? I guess games that rely on bidding as a main mechanism are excluded form the start (Cyclades). However, is there something fundamentally pro-high player counts within the area control genre? Or are there exceptions?

Area control (majority) doesn't work well with 2. You will always have the problem of "I'll just go where you're not", so the whole tension of that style of game is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Minter
United States
Scottsville
United States
flag msg tools
Have you tried Twilight Struggle? If you have access to an iPad or Steam, I would say go that route first then if you like that then gothe boardgame route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-player area control games tend to lean towards wargames. A good midway point for many people would be something like BattleLore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsc19702 wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Area control (majority) doesn't work well with 2. You will always have the problem of "I'll just go where you're not", so the whole tension of that style of game is lost.

That actually doesn't work. Certainly not against an aggressive player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I'm not asking necessarily for a recommendation. I was just curious about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World works quite well with two (though many people disagree). I haven't played Cry Havoc yet, but since it comes with separate boards for different player counts, I would expect it to be at least okay with two as well.
As mentioned, Twilight Struggle is an exceptional two player game as well.
And I actually found El Grande quite passable with two. Definitely not great, but certainly playable. Then again, not good enough to actually ever get played 2p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I heard that Eight-Minute Empire: Legends works well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sun Tzu is an area control game exclusively for 2, and it's good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came up with a game idea. I mean, just this second. So yeah, soon, there will be one. (No, really, I'm not kidding, I think it might be a good idea. It has cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm...You want an epic area control game that plays well with 2 people....You are a closet grognard...See the Wargamers subdomain and prepare to go down the rabbit hole...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

I don't think area control games need higher player counts. Most games have mechanisms that restrict your placements and force you to take control in the right place at the right time.

One mechanism I think works very well with smaller player counts is the double majority mechanism, where you play to "control the controllers" by having a majority in a color that has a majority in an area. Examples includen Carolus Magnus and The King Is Dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Sun Tzu and The King Is Dead (or rather Dynasties and König von Siam.) They're both exclusively two-player, and as purely El Grande-style area control as can be found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Sun Tzu

You could also try Battle Line, which fits if you look at it from the right angle

Oh and definitely Kahuna
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Free
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We love Clockwork Wars!

It's a fantastic epic area control abstract that, I believe, work well at all player counts. I play with my partner 2 player a bunch, and it's awesome. We also love Eclipse at 2 players, for what it's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried El Grande with 2 on yucata. In my opinion it works surprisingly well at that player count. As others have mentioned Twilight Struggle is essentially an area control game. However it might be that the particular qualities that make area control games appealing to you are not reproducible in 2 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pharmakon wrote:
Another vote for Sun Tzu and The King Is Dead (or rather Dynasties and König von Siam.) They're both exclusively two-player, and as purely El Grande-style area control as can be found.

And to add to this great list, the third game in this trifecta is Power & Weakness (which, like Sun Tzu, is designed for 2 and quite well at that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyperborea works well with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant species is solid with 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple more that work well with 2

2 de Mayo - Which includes elements of area control with hidden movement and special powers.

Louis XIV - Which uses a clever and non-obtrusive third player to mke the dynamic work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Stars is good with 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My go-to area control game for 2 is War of the Ring (Second Edition). I've never played the game with 3 or 4 players, and don't particularly want to.

Runewars also works well with 2; the map size scales based on the number of players, so space is always tight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
+1 for Sun Tzu . . . Oh and definitely Kahuna

I totally agree on those two, and especially Kahuna. \

Also, +1 on Carolus Magnus (if you can find a copy -- it's been OOP for many years.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Dąbrowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
have you considered Metallum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.