$5.00
$15.00
$30.00
$20.00
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow. I just finished a 7 hour 4 player game with LOME and WOME. I am not going to give a turn by turn report, but will share a few of the fun highlights.

1. I used "Fly You Fools" in the middle of the game. My opponents were stunned it just ended like that. I had fun with it for a minute and then told them the card was a joke, after which they also had a good laugh.

2. Battle of 8 Armies in Dale. The hunt was very successful and the Balrog made Frodo take the Northern route. He was taking corruption right and left. To heal he headed for Dale, but was revealed so couldn't go in. He went to Northern Rhovanion. The shadow was making very slow progress and Frodo was at around 6-7 corruption already so on the following turn he went back to Dale where he stopped for 4 turns to heal. The Shadow players did not want him to heal there so assaulted Dale with forces from Dol Goldur and the East. Dwarves/Elves/Northerners/Eagles fought off two armies of Easterlings/Orcs/Spiders/Nazgul. All the Nazgul had to die with the last remaining army and Frodo could rest on.

3. Factions duke it out in Andrast. The Dead Men were able to recruit every single figure into Erech along with Aragorn. Since they were protecting Dol Amroth the shadow bypassed that city and headed North to Andrast on the way to Grey Havens or Shire. First the Eagles came and killed a Nazgul and disbanded the rest. Then the Dead Men launched an attack and completely destroyed a 10 strong army of Southerners (actually two regulars were left but the Free player ceased the attack since two regulars couldn't do anything there and the 3 remaining dead men were still useful for defending DA.)

4. Ents take it to Saruman. Gandalf roused the Ents. Saruman bet we didn't have a card allowing us to move the ents in hopes of besieging HD before we could muster more troops there. The ents were sacrificed and out of the game, but Saruman was also out.

5. Spiders twice run from Dol Goldur in pursuit of Frodo and Sam. Once they added corruption killing Merry. And once they triggered a tile draw. They also killed Merry "again" in Osgiliath.

6. The Balrog and the WK sacrificed themselves by trusting in Grond to beat down Galadrial's forces in Lorien.

7. Gandalf and every single Rohan soldier in the game sacrificed themselves defending Rohan.

8. Gothmog razed Minis Tirith.

9. A Shelob tile and The Ring is Mine were both drawn in Mordor as well as a couple of other high corruption tiles. Four of the fellowship corruption healing cards were in the last 6-7 cards of the deck and they moved slowly to get those before advancing in Mordor. On the last step the Free peoples had 4 tiles that would give the win to 3 for the Shadow and the Free peoples could deflect one of those with Galadrial's ring ability. If an orc patrol hadn't pulled an eye it may have been over already. Galadria's Phial was drawn and the Free won with 7 corruption while the Shadow was at 6 VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
That does indeed sound like a very epic game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome!

Our first WoME game ended in a similar fashion - final step of the Mordor Track with 10 corruption. There were 8 tiles remaining, 5 of which would be wins for the Shadow. The red '3' tile was drawn, ending in a win for the Shadow.

We played a couple of rules wrong, and I wasn't really convinced the Shadow Factions helped much at all compared to the FP Factions, but it was still a great game!

Need more plays to comment in more depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
savedbyhim01 wrote:

1. I used "Fly You Fools" in the middle of the game. My opponents were stunned it just ended like that. I had fun with it for a minute and then told them the card was a joke, after which they also had a good laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
savedbyhim01 wrote:

Did you, for the sake of gameplay balance, immediately draw a Faction Card as a replacement (though that didn't block you much from winning the game, I see)?

P. S. While I think considerable thought has been made in creating a prank-card for the Free Peoples, I'd like to hear some Shadow Players using their copy. Announcing that the whole thing is just a mere joke could raise quite some eyebrows, considering that the Shadow Player actually knows the contents of the opponents entire hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Awesome!

Our first WoME game ended in a similar fashion - final step of the Mordor Track with 10 corruption. There were 8 tiles remaining, 5 of which would be wins for the Shadow. The red '3' tile was drawn, ending in a win for the Shadow.

We played a couple of rules wrong, and I wasn't really convinced the Shadow Factions helped much at all compared to the FP Factions, but it was still a great game!

Need more plays to comment in more depth.

In this game the Free factions were certainly more powerful. You do have to keep in mind though that the Ents tie up a companion. A lot of the time that will be Gandalf because it is sometimes quite difficult to get another companion there. If he is in Fangorn he is not helping defend against Nazgul. Also the Dead Men faction tie up Strider/Aragorn so he can't be used elsewhere.

Our game was so long that we could use the Dead Men, Ents, AND Eagles to great effect. But in normal games that may not be the case and a 4-5 strong army of Ents or Dead Men is only moderately powerful.

There are two quite powerful Call to Battle abilities of the Shadow Player that I didn't see them use in our game though.

Webs of Shadow allows for eliminating a spider to score an extra hit if the Shadow player scored more hits in the battle. This can be a very good combat card that is re-usable.

Also, The Last Strike of Doom allows for elimination of a Corsair to extend a siege battle instead of reducing an elite. That can be very strong as well.

My impression is that the Free People's factions have more game changing potential, but the Shadow factions provide more incremental help throughout the whole game. Knowing that the ents and dead men can grow at any time, the shadow player should likely rush attack either HD or DA or both before there is time for the Ents/Dead Men to grow. It shouldn't be that hard to attack DA before the Dead Men come since it takes a while for Strider to get down there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
savedbyhim01 wrote:

Did you, for the sake of gameplay balance, immediately draw a Faction Card as a replacement (though that didn't block you much from winning the game, I see)?

P. S. While I think considerable thought has been made in creating a prank-card for the Free Peoples, I'd like to hear some Shadow Players using their copy. Announcing that the whole thing is just a mere joke could raise quite some eyebrows, considering that the Shadow Player actually knows the contents of the opponents entire hand.

Actually I just snuck the "prank card" in to my hand while they weren't looking so didn't have to draw a replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.