$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

The Guardians: Explore» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wolf Pup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I missing something?

The wolf pup has no stats. IF you manage to play it with another wolf, you draw another card. IF you manage to play it with Dire Wolf, you also add +4 to Dire Wolf, but only once.

So in your best case scenario, you have a card that gives +4 to another card, making it +8 total, and then lets you draw another card to replace itself? And in your worst case, is worse than a Practice Swing. This seems absolutely terrible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds about right. I tend to pass over or trash the wolf pups since it is harder to make use of their abilities than other cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering just removing them from the game. Or houseruling that they have 3 attack, no energy. I really don't see a purpose in having cards that you're forced to draft that are worse than the ones you start with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
I'm considering just removing them from the game. Or houseruling that they have 3 attack, no energy.


There's no reason to pick the wolf familiars-- plant, tiger, and bug familiars are better. You can compare the 0 cost sapling to the 0 cost pup, and it's a no brainer. The 4 cost Tiger to the 3 cost dire wolf isn't apples to apples, but the tiger has to be considered better.

The Wolf Pup had a play-test version that was +1 energy, and draw a card (non-conditional). Personally I'd rather add "draw a card" to the "if you play or have played another wolf draw a card". I feel it gives it a more unique "pack" feel than the tiger, and works with a draw deck.

Mat628 wrote:
I really don't see a purpose in having cards that you're forced to draft that are worse than the ones you start with.


Even though I'd house rule the card, I disagree with worse cards not having a purpose. Sometimes I feel that practice swing isn't bad enough, but the game plays fast enough where I have no plans to change it. Having 3 cards that maybe in draft pile to dodge just adds to some planning choices. Not ground breaking choices in this instance, but I can see a purpose for the idea: just not here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I can see how in some contexts having dead weight which is to be avoided could create some choices. Just haven't ever seen it in a deckbuilder.

I'd think making the wolf cub
- Draw a card. If you played another wolf card this turn, draw another card.
- Draw a card. If you played a dire wolf this turn, gain +2 (maybe +1) attack for every wolf including this one.

That would seem about the same level as the other familiars. And do a flavor of the pack mentality, especially the second option which would let the cubs do damage so long as they had an adult leading the charge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Ruland
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Mat628 wrote:
Yeah. I can see how in some contexts having dead weight which is to be avoided could create some choices. Just haven't ever seen it in a deckbuilder.

I'd think making the wolf cub
- Draw a card. If you played another wolf card this turn, draw another card.
- Draw a card. If you played a dire wolf this turn, gain +2 (maybe +1) attack for every wolf including this one.

That would seem about the same level as the other familiars. And do a flavor of the pack mentality, especially the second option which would let the cubs do damage so long as they had an adult leading the charge.


I hear you all!

Basically in the design for the game I have "draw a card" set at a very high point cost. Because I wanted to encourage people to play cards that weren't just "draw through your deck." Which is prevalent in other deck builders. Also, I can't offer you the ability (easily) to draw more than 1 card from a single card because then your power level can get out of control. So the wolf pup got a nerf with the increase "value" of drawing a card.

I felt that it was important to keep wolf pup as a zero cost card, If I would have increased it to a 2 cost then it could have the ability you mentioned Mat628.

So, what's the point of Wolf Pup? Firstly, if you're not planning to draft wolves then you likely wont pick it up. This means its easier for the "wolf player" to actually pick up the wolves during the draft. Secondly, the wolves play very nicely with the Mystic Ball which grants them 2 ATK power for each wolf in play. It's also good to pair wolves with the Pixie because although you only get a +6 bonus from the two wolf cards they only count as 1 "non-draw a card" card in play. This allows you to get to a higher ATK power score. Lastly, I've played games where the draft didn't go my way, but was able to power through the game using Super Potion + direwolf + wolf pup.

I hope this helps.
It's not just about the strength of the card on it's own, but in comparison to the whole game and the rareity of the card.

I'm open to more feedback though!

Jonathon
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As crazy as it sounds, I'm actually confused about how this card works, even with the clarification text.

The issue is the "if you play or have played" part.

Let's say I play a wolf cub. Then I play another wolf cub. At this point, I draw 2 cards, right? One for each wolf cub? And then if I play a *third* wolf cub, I draw one card, only for the last wolf cub, because I've already drawn one for the first two? Is that what the clarification text is telling me?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Ruland
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mb
ignorantpenguin wrote:
As crazy as it sounds, I'm actually confused about how this card works, even with the clarification text.

The issue is the "if you play or have played" part.

Let's say I play a wolf cub. Then I play another wolf cub. At this point, I draw 2 cards, right? One for each wolf cub? And then if I play a *third* wolf cub, I draw one card, only for the last wolf cub, because I've already drawn one for the first two? Is that what the clarification text is telling me?


Yes!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Reihon wrote:
So, what's the point of Wolf Pup? Firstly, if you're not planning to draft wolves then you likely wont pick it up. This means its easier for the "wolf player" to actually pick up the wolves during the draft. Secondly, the wolves play very nicely with the Mystic Ball which grants them 2 ATK power for each wolf in play. It's also good to pair wolves with the Pixie because although you only get a +6 bonus from the two wolf cards they only count as 1 "non-draw a card" card in play. This allows you to get to a higher ATK power score. Lastly, I've played games where the draft didn't go my way, but was able to power through the game using Super Potion + direwolf + wolf pup.


We played a game after my last response, and before I read this (today)-- and one of our players figured out the above. He came in 2nd out of 5 with a wolf deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.