Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello fellow Andor enthusiasts!

According to the rules, heroes engaged in group combat may swap (trade) items (Witches Brew, etc.) between combat rounds, if they are on the same space or use the falcon (referring to a bow-carrying hero fighting from an adjacent space, I presume).

But following a situation that arose in a game yesterday, the following question arose:

Can a hero who decides to withdraw from a group combat (say, following an initial round of fighting) still pass objects he possesses to other heroes before they engage in a new round of fighting?

For example (from our recent session) : the Wizard, who was wielding the 3 Runestones (the Black die) and was low on Willpower Points soblue, decided to withdraw from a group combat against a Troll. The Warrior decided to continue. Could the Wizard give her 3RS to the Warrior after combat round 1 (assuming he has the space to carry them), and before Round 2, even though she decided to withdraw and not participate in Round 2?

My reading of the rules is that the answer is : NO, because they seem to be saying that only heroes engaged in group combat may swap objects between rounds. If the Wizard decided to withdraw/abandon after Round 1 , he/she could not swap with other heroes because he/she is no longer participating in the combat.

I would be interested in your interpretations of this situation! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
The German reference guide states regarding this:
Quote:
• Wichtig: Gegenstände wie Runensteine oder der Trank der Hexe dürfen nicht innerhalb einer gemeinsamen Kampfrunde ausgetauscht werden. Beispiel: Ein Held trinkt eine Hälfte des Tranks. Dann darf er den Rest nicht an einen mitkämpfenden Helden weitergeben. Es ist aber erlaubt, am Ende einer Kampfrunde einen Gegenstand einem mitkämpfenden Helden zu übergeben (wenn beide auf dem selben Feld stehen oder einer von beiden einen Falken nutzen kann).
• Ein Held oder mehrere Helden können sich nach einer Kampfrunde entscheiden aus dem laufenden Kampf auszusteigen (dann können sie nicht mehr in den aktuellen Kampf eingreifen, sparen aber Stunden). Das kann auch der Held sein, der eingeladen hatte. Solange noch ein Held weiterkämpft, geht der Kampf weiter. Die nächste Kampfrunde beginnt von den beteiligten Helden der Spieler links vom einladenden Helden.
The terms I marked red are translating to:
am Ende einer Kampfrunde ... at the end of a battle round
nach einer Kampfrunde ... after a battle round

So I would think, it is still possible to exchange, because technically you retreat later. The first paragraph treats the passing of an object, the second retreating. However, I'm a little doubtful regarding "einen Gegenstand". This can translate to "an object", but also to "one object", so "3 objects" might not be allowed. I would call this safe, because exchanging objects is a free action, and there are no quantity limitations in any other case in this game, so this would be strange, if this applies here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks susumu for your help!

Admittedly, this rule pertaining to swapping objects during group combat is an exception: as a rule, free actions, such as swapping objects, cannot be done during an action that involves spending "hours" (such as combat). The other only exception I can think of is that it is legal to "pick up" Peasants without having to end your movement action in that space.

Your interpretation based on the German rules seems convincing (and so my initial impression may be wrong). If I've understood correctly, they state that :

- heroes engaged in group combat can exchange objects at the end of a combat round

- and that heroes may opt to withdraw from group combat after a combat round

As you say, the wording implies that: "after" a round technically refers to a point in time which is later than "at the end of" the current round ; so a hero could swap first (at the end of the round), and then decide to abandon/withdraw afterwards (after the that round is completed)

I love Andor, but I sometimes wish the rules were more explicit about specific situations...

And I concur, no limit on the number of items exchanged (as long as they fit on the player mat), so 3RS or a Shield or anything else would be legal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylusboy wrote:
Your interpretation based on the German rules seems convincing (and so my initial impression may be wrong). If I've understood correctly, they state that :

- heroes engaged in group combat can exchange objects at the end of a combat round

- and that heroes may opt to withdraw from group combat after a combat round
That's exactly, what they state.
Quote:
And I concur, no limit on the number of items exchanged (as long as they fit on the player mat), so 3RS or a Shield or anything else would be legal
Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
@ Susumu:

... and we can add the following to complete what has been said above:

- such swapping of objects at the end of a battle round is only possible between the heroes participating in the group combat (i.e. between fellow fighters).

So, for example, it is not legal for other heroes (who did not participate in the fighting) to send objects to one of the heroes involved in the team battle (via a falcon, for example).

Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.