Popular Tags: [View All]
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I definitely want to buy this game. But I play almost exclusively solo, and while I can have a decent time playing my left against my right it isn't the most thrilling experience for me.

I have seen Adam's thoughts on the game including his solo experience. Still want the game, still not convinced it will be great solo.

Does anybody have any ideas on a decent way to automate the opponent's moves, or another way to make a solo game less like playing against myself? I will definitely try to tinker something together, but help would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Maya, thanks for looking at my thoughts to date. I do have some other ideas too.

A system for "directing" the sides revolves around following the actual intent of the Syrian and Israeli war pre-plans:

1. Human Syria vs. Bot Israel - The Israelis shunned adding extra non-elite infantry into their OOB for fear of exposure to Syrian artillery and the highly vulnerable maneuver terrain hence the game's OOB as is. Israel's initial defensive intent was the repeated massing of armor at any Syrian breakthrough points, using their AFVs in this way like the mobile panzer "fire brigades" of the Eastern Front in WW2. Once force ratios realigned they'd push into Syria.

2. Human Israel vs. Bot Syria - The Syrians planned to take the B'not Yakov Bridge early. But if unable would, nonetheless, capture the Israeli HQ hub at Nafakh as a bargaining chip for the return or partial return of the Golan from Israel at ceasefire. Syria would aim for as many Gold Star objectives as possible, particularly in the south, and take at least one Blue Star objective for some extra diplomatic prestige. Historically, they'd also secure Mt Hermon in a commando drop, it's existence in Israeli hands a slap in the face; its capture demoralising for the enemy. That said, a random die roll for this paradrop would be historical too meaning a land attack on Hermon would still be mandated.

For more solo "bot" options see the book "Inside Israel's Northern Command The Yom Kippur War on the Syrian Border" (700 pages) which can be found for just $5 on Kindle under the title "Syrians at the Border". It has some fine sections detailing the pre-plans of both sides and their expectations for each other.

Within this framework, the game's combat-retreat-force reduction-replacement model makes many units within both side's OOBs quite resilient.

Hope this helps and others can add more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.