andy bush

London
London
msg tools
mb
Started playing this solo and keep getting nailed.

If you were to recommend an expansion that would help even things up - what would you say?

Cheers!

Bush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1108855/back-basics-killer-...

Its what i used to get a few wins under my belt. Still not easy though.

There isnt really "a set" that will make you win but having a good deck and starting hand help out a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Tello
Spain
Oiartzun
Guipúzcoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Above link is a good deck, but you may want to play two sphere decks first, I recommend spirit-leadership. Keep your deck on 30 cards, once you get better, you can make 50 card decks. Play first quest of the core set until you beat it consistently. Second quest is much tougher and is very important to learn how to play that scenario, adapt your deck for it and fight the troll properly. Third scenario is almost impossible playing solo, don't worry, all of us have felt the same. You may want to try it playing two handed. This game is tricky, and is most usual to lose games.

After that, you should continue getting the expansions in order. Here is an excellent article series about buying recommendations: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Porteous
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Stewards Fear, has the bulk of Outlands Allies, well constructed deck will obliterate many a quest solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buschenfeld wrote:
Started playing this solo and keep getting nailed.

If you were to recommend an expansion that would help even things up - what would you say?

Cheers!

Bush

To be sure, are you playing single or double handed solo? Single handed is almost certainly doomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
To be sure, are you playing single or double handed solo? Single handed is almost certainly doomed.

There's nothing majorly wrong with "single handed" solo, apart from the odd stinker like Dol Guldor that needs a real power deck to have a hope.

I suggest the OP has a read of https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/ for a lot of advice on playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy bush

London
London
msg tools
mb
Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game can be difficult and challenging at first for sure.

It was a little frustrating for me at first, when I owned the core set, and only a couple of the initial expansion packs.

What I totally love about this game is playing a scenario, getting wrecked, and then going to my collection of cards (I think I own about 1/3 of what they have printed so far) and then tweaking my deck in order to handle what the scenario is throwing at you. When you can make the necessary adjustments in order to meet the challenges of the particular scenario, it really feels victorious.

I think the more product you own, the more deck building possibilities you have in order to handle the encounters which you face. I realize that takes money, but after about a $300 investment in the game, you should be able to enjoy many gaming sessions where you have plenty of options to tweak and customize in order to find success.

Oh, and I would recommend staying away from any "nightmare" modes for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.