6 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Familiar Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
O P
msg tools
Hey guys,

I wanted to ask about monsters attacking the familiar.

If the familiar is below a non-big monster, it means it's not adjacent to it. Can the monsters still attack that familiar, or does it need to move 1 space and then attack?

Also another question about the Necromancer's skill Dark Pact which reads: "Your Reanimate adds 1 additional brown die to its defense pool.
Each time you suffer Heart, you may choose to have your Reanimate suffer all of the Heart instead. Each time your Reanimate suffers Heart, you may choose to suffer all of the Heart instead."

What happens if lets say a monster attack the hero and deals 3 damage + poison and then I transfer it to the Reanimate? am I still poisoned? is the Reanimate poisoned?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatOldOne wrote:
Hey guys,

Hi ^_^

Quote:
I wanted to ask about monsters attacking the familiar.

If the familiar is below a non-big monster, it means it's not adjacent to it. Can the monsters still attack that familiar, or does it need to move 1 space and then attack?

What do you mean with "below a non-big monster"? A familiar treated as a figure can't be "below" another figure.

Quote:
Also another question about the Necromancer's skill Dark Pact which reads: "Your Reanimate adds 1 additional brown die to its defense pool.
Each time you suffer Heart, you may choose to have your Reanimate suffer all of the Heart instead. Each time your Reanimate suffers Heart, you may choose to suffer all of the Heart instead."

What happens if lets say a monster attack the hero and deals 3 damage + poison and then I transfer it to the Reanimate? am I still poisoned? is the Reanimate poisoned?

Thanks in advance!

That skills only transfers damage. If the attack deals at least 1 damage, then you are Poisoned. Then, you may decide to transfer that damage to the Reanimate, but - even if you now suffer 0 damage - Poison has already been triggered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O P
msg tools
Thank you for the quick reply

From the unofficial FAQ:
"When a familiar (e.g. Skye) is below another monster (1 space big) is its "adjacency" requirement fulfilled?

A: When occupying the same space as a monster, it is unfortunately not the same thing as being adjacent. (1)
Q: When familiar (e.g. Skye) is below a large monster which occupies more fields, is it adjacent?

A: Yes. (1)"

From this I assumed that the familiar can end it's movement on a monster's space. I don't think I'm playing it wrong but let me know.

And thanks for the other answer, we thought as much but weren't sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
mbmb
There are two "types" of familiar.
One refereed as familiar, and other as familiar treated as figure.
Because in base game you have only one familiar (reanimate) which is treated as figure people usually assume that new person may refer to this type of familiars in their question.

Skye is just a familiar so he can't be attacked (he does not have HP), can't attack, does not interfere with movement or line of sight.
He also can perform only one move action in his activation.

Familiars treated as figures, block line of sight, have effect on movement - heroes cant end their move on space occupied by familiar, monster can't move through spaces occupied by them, they can be attacked and removed form map and usually they can attack.

Hope that clarifies things a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatOldOne wrote:
Thank you for the quick reply

From the unofficial FAQ:
"When a familiar (e.g. Skye) is below another monster (1 space big) is its "adjacency" requirement fulfilled?

A: When occupying the same space as a monster, it is unfortunately not the same thing as being adjacent. (1)
Q: When familiar (e.g. Skye) is below a large monster which occupies more fields, is it adjacent?

A: Yes. (1)"

From this I assumed that the familiar can end it's movement on a monster's space. I don't think I'm playing it wrong but let me know.

And thanks for the other answer, we thought as much but weren't sure.

Okay. That's clarifies it.
That's the reason I mentioned "familiar treated as figure" in my post above.

In Descent 2nd Edition there are fundamentally 2 broad categories of familiars:
A) Familiars treated as figures. Currently: Necromancer's Reanimate, Beastmaster's Wolf, Challara's Brightblaze and (as a slight exception because they are obstacles) Geomancer's Summoned Stones.
B) "Normal" Familiars. Currently: Ronan's Pico, Shadow Walker's Shadow Soul and Vyrah's Skye.

Familiars of type B may indeed share the same space with a figure (and that's the reason behind the question in the FAQ you cited); however, they can't be attacked by monsters because they are not figures.

Familiars of type A, instead, may be attacked by monsters. But being figures (or obstacles) they can't enter or otherwise share a space occupied by another figure.

Edit: ninjaed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O P
msg tools
That explains it! Thanks a lot Robert and Erik
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.