Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: [POLL] The real playing time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the real playing time for Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization?

Poll
1. First play
  less than 120m 120m to 150m 150m to 180m 180 to 210m 210 to 240m 240m to 270m 270m to 300m 300m to 330m more than 330m
2 players
3 players
4 players
2. Experienced players
  less than 120m 120m to 150m 150m to 180m 180 to 210m 210 to 240m 240m to 270m 270m to 300m 300m to 330m more than 330m
2 players
3 players
4 players
      171 answers
Poll created by Geert Vinaskov

This poll is also at the 'The real playtime - All in one' geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should clarify whether or not the "first play" is a full game or short game. I think most people would go with the shorter game for their first playthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I consider experienced at this game to consist of 25 or more plays.

That said, there is no reason this cannot be finished at a rate of 30 minutes per experienced player + 10 min per player upkeep time + 10 minutes set-up/tear down. You will need either a timer or time when they are kicking you out of the store/restaurant and focus, but it can be done.

In addition, if you are really pressed for time, just play it in person online to lop off 45 minutes to an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Charlap
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I assumed "first play" to mean new players, with one experienced player to teach. I assumed the full game, using my personal experience as a guide.
I would add another 30-60 min if all players are new.

I basically figure about 1 hour per player + 30 minutes teaching for new players. Most new players will take longer to play, but experienced players are more prone to analysis paralysis, so that's probably a wash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with 1.5h per new player and 45min-1h per experienced player

If you were to play online, that takes care of a lot of the calculations and setup too. As well as making it easier to reset turns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
warren maruschak
Canada
winnipeg
manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With my groups, 2 player games take us about 90 minutes, 3 player games take about 135 minutes, and 4 player games take about 210 minutes. These times include set up and tear down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way we can modify the game to shorten the length of our first game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
u1timo wrote:
Is there a way we can modify the game to shorten the length of our first game?

Don'y play a full game? The rulebook explains the shorter variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.