Subject: Ally gandalf with Narya + sword thain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerry Drouillard
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
It takes quite a bit to get it working, but I'm determined to give a neutral card sword-thain.

You can give ally gandalf Narya, giving him a leadership icon. He then 'belongs to a sphere of incluence', thus allowing him to have an attached sword-thain.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it a legal move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you make it on OHUH Gandalf yes, not on the core set one i think cause he will go to discard pile at the end of round anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legal move, but very expensive and probably not worth it. But if you are determined to do it, give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
The Road Darkens saga expansion includes a neutral Gandalf hero. His special basically expands your hand size to 7 (though you can only play the deck card once per phase). But it's his being considered to have all printed spheres that's nice. Those heroes that affect other heroes in their spheres will also affect Gandalf. He is high threat, but you wont' have to discard him at the end of the turn.

Gandalf
Type: Hero Sphere: Neutral
Threat Threshold: 14
Willpower: 3 Attack: 3 Defense: 3 Hit Points: 5
Istari
Play with the top card of your deck faceup. Once per phase, you may play the top card of your deck as if it was in your hand. When playing a card this way, Gandalf is considered to have the printed [Leadership], [Lore], [Tactic] and [Spirit] icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can but it's very wasteful. If you have Narya on OHUH Gandalf you want to keep him as an ally so that he can refresh himself. Give him shadowfax as well and you can defend for 5, attack for 5 and refresh a helpful ally to participate in the attack and give them +1 Atk to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Drouillard
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
Great point, i never considered that OHaUH gandalf would be able to ready himself with Narya! that makes him mighty powerful with just another 2 cost attachment!

Yeah, forget the sword thain idea. The whole point was to generate some more resources and to open up some more attachment possibilities, but it would all be way too intricate to make it work properly.

As for TRD Gandalf, i believe he only has all 4 spheres of influence when he is playing a card from the top of the deck. He is powerful for sure, especially with all his toys, but still has his limitations. in the right deck, i like OHaUH Gandalf much more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword Thain is not really a good source of resources. Many of my games finish by turns 6 or 7, so the payoff is awful. You have to be doing something that takes advantage of there being an extra hero for it to be worthwhile e.g. a caldara deck or ramping pip and merry even further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.