$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Has anyone got suggestions for constructing a collapsible/foldable dice tray rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like dice trays (but not dice towers) and I'd like a dice tray about 8-10" wide (not necessarily square/rectangular) that I can use to avoid the carnage caused by rolling a handful (6+) of 18mm D6 on an Arkham/Eldritch Horror board. However, I really want a fold/roll-up construction to minimise the grief caused by transporting it. In an ideal world the base would be rigid enough to allow use of the tray while it's held off the playing surface.

Suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
perhaps a large leather snap tray/valet?

link to example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Decorebay-Pocket-Foldable-Travel-Le...

remember to look at the dimensions to make sure that you get one large enough for what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting approach - it certainly "flatpacks", which is an important feature. I could make one that - when folded flat - fitted into the lid of an Eldritch/Arkham game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use leather and wrap the edges around board for a nice structure. Instead of snaps, use magnets sealed inside the edges. Of course snaps would probably be best in case of a particularly powerful roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
You could use leather and wrap the edges around board for a nice structure. Instead of snaps, use magnets sealed inside the edges. Of course snaps would probably be best in case of a particularly powerful roll.
yes, that would work I guess. I have an old IT guy's dislike of magnets. I'm thinking Velcro as a fastener for the corners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As an EE, I shy from magnets also. Velcro would be perfect. You could make the edges wrap around each other instead of pinching the corners. I am surprised this has not made it to KS already. I have the same concerns as you about dice towers and space for a tray. You have inspired me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan_c_byrd wrote:
As an EE, I shy from magnets also. Velcro would be perfect. You could make the edges wrap around each other instead of pinching the corners. I am surprised this has not made it to KS already. I have the same concerns as you about dice towers and space for a tray. You have inspired me.
I like the pinch corners approach because it simplifies creating the shape from which the tray is formed. With pinch corners the shape is just a square, but with other approaches it may be necessary to use a more complex shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any other suggestions for methods of crafting the tray?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A painter's cap, beret, or other flat headgear (top hat, if you're feeling extra classy). Hands-free while not in use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I like dice trays (but not dice towers)

What's wrong with a collapsible dice tower?

I actually recreated this one in Sketch-up and made one out of plywood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
I like dice trays (but not dice towers)

What's wrong with a collapsible dice tower?
Nothing... except that it's a dice tower and I don't like 'em. I prefer to roll the dice rather than just drop them into a "machine". I feel that if I'm going to use a machine to roll them I may as well use an App. I also like trays because everyone at the table can share in my pain and I in theirs, whereas with a dice tower, I often don't get to see the other player's rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
A painter's cap, beret, or other flat headgear (top hat, if you're feeling extra classy). Hands-free while not in use.
Nope, don't want to take up millinery as a craft at this time. Plus there are issues with the shared visibility of outcomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I also like trays because everyone at the table can share in my pain and I in theirs, whereas with a dice tower, I often don't get to see the other player's rolls.

You do with the transparent one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I did this in a few minutes based on the ring from Luchadors.
You'd have to slide the sides down (putting the floor in as you slide them down). then bend out the opposite walls to get the single floor tabs in. but it might work... this hasn't been tested AT ALL.
LOL

I'm sure we can come up with a better solution if more thought is given to it.

edit for corrections on centering tabs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made one from a box from cookies (packet from biscuits). I removed the flaps from the top and bottom, then cut into the sides to make baffles on which the dice bounce when dropped inside, and two flaps at the bottom to slow the dice as they come out. It folds flat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-box.html

Origami tray! you just need to learn to do this and all you need is paper.

teach a man to fish.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ursus_Major wrote:
I made one from a box from cookies (packet from biscuits). I removed the flaps from the top and bottom, then cut into the sides to make baffles on which the dice bounce when dropped inside, and two flaps at the bottom to slow the dice as they come out. It folds flat.
Thanks, but this is a dice tower. I don't like dice towers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-box.html

Origami tray! you just need to learn to do this and all you need is paper.

teach a man to fish.....
Not very practical though. First, origami tends to use sheets of paper that are huge relative to the object that they create. Second, I'm not sure that I want to spend 10 minutes re-folding the thing every session. My son is a very proficient Origami practitioner I'll ask him how practical a solution it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
Okay, I did this in a few minutes based on the ring from Luchadors.
You'd have to slide the sides down (putting the floor in as you slide them down). then bend out the opposite walls to get the single floor tabs in. but it might work... this hasn't been tested AT ALL.
LOL

I'm sure we can come up with a better solution if more thought is given to it.

edit for corrections on centering tabs.

Interesting suggestion. I have Luchador myself. I'll take a look at it, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
albert dimayuga
Philippines
flag msg tools
if you are not aiming for something fancy.. I suggest a collapsible tray from cardboard.. something like

https://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop/72/08/19/0/southern...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about going inflatable? Maybe a Barbie doll-sized paddling pool? I remember owning a an inflatable dinghy for Action Man (G.I. Joe) when I was a kid, that could be used for rolling dice in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have several dice trays that store flat. They are all along the same lines. One is plastic, one thick felt, one leatherish but all the same basic idea: square, firm material (or stiffened at base and sides), with a closing mechanism at the corners. At least one of them was picked up from Essen for a couple of euros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helixx wrote:
I have several dice trays that store flat. They are all along the same lines. One is plastic, one thick felt, one leatherish but all the same basic idea: square, firm material (or stiffened at base and sides), with a closing mechanism at the corners. At least one of them was picked up from Essen for a couple of euros.

This is the same design as the first reply, but it's interesting to see that they've actually been sold as dice trays by gaming suppliers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference, here are some commercial products

http://www.allrolledup.co.uk/dice-trays-in-accessories/
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/106134756/soft-dice-tray?ref...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also go with a collapsible bowl like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.