Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The Phantom League: Mostly Harmless» Forums » Rules

Subject: Battle questions (MH only) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
Avatar
mb

My group has been enjoying this game. (Actually, one game of mine they DO enjoy, versus criticizing it.) Unfortunately, have a a bunch of rules lawyers that quibble and squabble over tidbits, rather than accept the theme of things.

(I have the Mostly Harmless expansion, without Pilot Academy. I realize Pilot Academy has a different battle system, so bear in mind we are looking at halfway rules, here.)

We've been having trouble with points of the Battle system.

1) Escape: Does escape ONLY happen during the Escape Phase? For example, someone plays a defensive card that lowers their EV to Zero. Does that ship escape battle AT THAT TIME, thereby avoiding more damage and cannot attack any more, or does it only escape during the official Escape Phase?

2) Escape: A ship's Escape Value lowers and STAYS lowered from Round to Round (and going back to its default value after battle,) but a Defensive maneuver is only temporary during the Round within which it is played, right? Why is this? (Rules lawyer kept trying to argue this.)

3) Multiplayer Combat: Does a player need to declare his attacks ahead of time? Alliance and Pirate Ship were fighting. Player joined the side of the Pirate and attacked the Alliance ship, which in turn attacked the player. (all ships the same speed and attack simultaneously.) The Pirate had two cards attacking the Alliance ship and kept a third one back to see the outcome. Alliance ship was destroyed, so Pirate attacked the player. (He's a pirate after all.) Did the Pirate need to declare the third attack ahead of time?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:

My group has been enjoying this game. (Actually, one game of mine they DO enjoy, versus criticizing it.) Unfortunately, have a a bunch of rules lawyers that quibble and squabble over tidbits, rather than accept the theme of things.

(I have the Mostly Harmless expansion, without Pilot Academy. I realize Pilot Academy has a different battle system, so bear in mind we are looking at halfway rules, here.)


First of all, I'd highly recommend you to get Pilot Academy. That is available
either directly from us or from Fun Again.

Quote:

We've been having trouble with points of the Battle system.

1) Escape: Does escape ONLY happen during the Escape Phase? For example, someone plays a defensive card that lowers their EV to Zero. Does that ship escape battle AT THAT TIME, thereby avoiding more damage and cannot attack any more, or does it only escape during the official Escape Phase?


It only escapes at an official escape phase.

Quote:

2) Escape: A ship's Escape Value lowers and STAYS lowered from Round to Round (and going back to its default value after battle,) but a Defensive maneuver is only temporary during the Round within which it is played, right? Why is this? (Rules lawyer kept trying to argue this.)


You are correct in your reading how it is intended to be. Reason for this is that defensive manouvers would otherwisely be overly powerful and wouldn't require timing.

Quote:

3) Multiplayer Combat: Does a player need to declare his attacks ahead of time? Alliance and Pirate Ship were fighting. Player joined the side of the Pirate and attacked the Alliance ship, which in turn attacked the player. (all ships the same speed and attack simultaneously.) The Pirate had two cards attacking the Alliance ship and kept a third one back to see the outcome. Alliance ship was destroyed, so Pirate attacked the player. (He's a pirate after all.) Did the Pirate need to declare the third attack ahead of time?


Attacks are all called for the round and cannot be changed during that round if one target is destroyed.

I hope this helps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
Avatar
mb
Awesome. Thanks, Timo. Maybe we'll pick up Pilot Academy if we find we are going to play it a lot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
Awesome. Thanks, Timo. Maybe we'll pick up Pilot Academy if we find we are going to play it a lot.


I find PA making whole game a lot better. Sorry to say but the original battle system is not best possible - and I designed it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
Avatar
mb
Eridis wrote:
Lhowser wrote:
Awesome. Thanks, Timo. Maybe we'll pick up Pilot Academy if we find we are going to play it a lot.


I find PA making whole game a lot better. Sorry to say but the original battle system is not best possible - and I designed it


Well, with having Phantom League AND all the changes to cards, dials, etc in Mostly Harmless, I'd rather try and make what we have work, rather than just scrap it for Pilot Academy with yet another bunch of changes.

I try and incorporate all the new stuff (like Docking fees, etc) into the game, but ignore the Planet Missions, etc.

(and I dont want to have to figure out what to do with all the extra misc cards, then...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. That works as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.