Hide
6 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » General

Subject: 2 player game - Kalas Ravine : a super region in the north rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oak Wolf
msg tools
We initially thought that the board was set up equally in 2 player games.

Yesterday i noticed that the two HQ positions have one difference. The northern one has access to what i call the "super region" of the planet, which makes structures with "adjacency" effects more efficient than anywhere else.

It's located on the western side of the Scorch (can't remember the name), and is the only region that connects to 5 others AND one HQ (so technically 6. Many structures gain efficiency simply from being placed there, and the opponent has no equivalent on his side and must fight their way to reach it.

The northern player simply has to take this and set up structures early to influence the whole map except the two eastern most areas.

This advantage may go unnoticed for some time, and unless there's a drawback i am not seeing due to inexperience, one might think a race performs better than others simply due to its structures being settled in there.

Anyone else noticed this? I am not saying that it imbalances the game, or that the game is any less enjoyable for it, but i can see it pulling strings in some games (especially if humans claim it and have an airfield there).

Edit: Name of the region is Kalas Ravine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
Re: 2 player game: a super region in the north
You're talking about the side of the scorch that has two adjacent regions right? And between those, you're talking about the one that is north, right?

I have won almost every 2p game I've played with a variety of faction configurations and I've always played on the south side of the board. I will admit that that region becomes a key region mid-game and it's wise to acquire it early on, but I wouldn't say that its acquisition is OP. Key regions can change from game to game depending on a variety of factors.

Hopefully in a few days I can have another 2p match and I'll tell my opponent to gain control of that region from the get go and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
Yep that's the one.

There's simply a lot of benefits from taking that region early.

One exploration token
Trog Nest will add 1-3 crystals
Battle will add 1 crystal

Should you win that battle you'll gain some VP (something you do not get if you go for exploration-only regions).

You can imagine what a Shred Drones can do from there, but an Airfield is even more dangerous. I am not sure Pilgrims gain as much from it, but it is the only area in the 2p map that you can set up a "triad" of power orbs that is relatively safe from the opposing HQ.

The only thing i hope is that other options are as efficient and taking that region is not always the auto-move for north.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Smothers
msg tools
Seems like it would do best with Humans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
I can't play for another couple weeks, but my initial thoughts are to fight for that region, but alternatively you can stay back and let them try to milk it while you focus on other regions. Remember that the game is all about earning points. If you can do so without fighting the opponent in a key region then go for it. Combat is not always what you want to do to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
I could agree for pilgrims who might actually want to avoid flagging themselves with a huge target right from the start.

However, Machines really enjoy it as a base of operation for Shred Drones, Factories and to a lesser extent, Bunkers. Matrixes and Orbital snipers don't need the advantageous position. That said, another reason to get it is that it costs less movement to get involved around the map from there, and machines need to fight to get Crystals and, pretty much any VP they can get.

Humans are the most obvious candidate here, as their structures make it even more advantageous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.