Pixie Queen» Forums » General

Subject: [POLL] The real playing time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the real playing time for Pixie Queen?

Poll
1. First play
  less than 30m 30m to 60m 60m to 90m 90m to 120m 120m to 150m more than 150m
2 players
3 players
4 players
5 players
2. Experienced players
  less than 30m 30m to 60m 60m to 90m 90m to 120m 120m to 150m more than 150m
2 players
3 players
4 players
5 players
      5 answers
Poll created by Geert Vinaskov

This poll is also at the 'The real playtime - All in one' geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, this seems to be even longer on your first go than I feared.
My hope was that it plays a tad longer than Lords of Waterdeep (easily around 70 mins with 5). I'd put PQ at a slightly higher complexity level, but not much higher given that there are only the gold/silver tracks to mitigate ongoing penalty points and the 3 bonus tile versions to gain end game points.

What do you think adds most to the playing time? AP seems to be not too bad despite the multiple choices. There is a fair bit of bookkeeping at the end of each round though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:
What do you think adds most to the playing time? AP seems to be not too bad despite the multiple choices. There is a fair bit of bookkeeping at the end of each round though.

Pixie Queen has a few distinct phases during each turn. They all play very distinctively, and most require active decisions (actions, offering, rewards), while others are mostly passive (income, penalties).

Even though it's a worker placement, it's different from Lords of Waterdeep. LoWD is a bare bones worker placement (which I like very much about that game), Pixie Queen does this differently and is a worker placement with bells and whistles.

These extra elements/phases just take time. Each phase plays very differently, and the fact that the gameplay is divided into these three active phases lessens AP. During each phase it's very clear what you should be aiming for.

But yeah, basicly that's the reason for the additional playing time. LoWD has an action phase. This game has an offering phase (blind betting minigame) and a reward phase (spatial movement of pixies) on top of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.