Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working through the rules of Origins: How We Became Human in the hope of getting to play later this month and while I mostly understand what the idea is behind the various mechanisms, this one seems counter-intuitive. Could anyone shed some light on why increased brain size/capability would lead to reduced innovation? I think it makes for an interesting decision mechanically, but I'm not sure what is being modeled by it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perhaps improving your brain implies some setback in the urge to innovate to adjust instead to the new ways and ideas..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MplsMatt wrote:
I've been working through the rules of Origins: How We Became Human in the hope of getting to play later this month and while I mostly understand what the idea is behind the various mechanisms, this one seems counter-intuitive. Could anyone shed some light on why increased brain size/capability would lead to reduced innovation? I think it makes for an interesting decision mechanically, but I'm not sure what is being modeled by it.

Thanks!

The theme in Origins, over and over again in many arenas, is that you must tear down to build up.

This is most apparent in cycling through the Eras, where your civilization builds to a glorious but stagnant point, and must de-invest in some of the very things that made it so successful, and go in a new direction. Switching from the Age of Faith to the Age of Reason, for instance. Fire all the entrenched bureaucrats, if you will. And it will go badly, against the faithful majority. At first.

In the brain map, I wanted simulate a crossover from instinct-directed behavior to verbal-concept-directed behavior. Instincts, although can bring you very far in fast-learning intelligent animals, can only bring you so far. To make the very unpromising software change involved, you must switch to a whole new set of conscious descriptions of reality, conceptual motivations and "authorizations", all of which run against millennia of instincts. Everything had to be relearned from the bottom up, like a software change to a computer designed for an old language.

What I didn't want was a slow incremental improvements, but revolutions. And it is in the nature of revolutions that something is lost. Nature and evolution is full of investments in unpromising directions that have unexpected potential. Among them is clearing out the brain, using a common language so the different brain areas can talk to each other, for the first time. This switch from what Cosmides & Tooby call the Swiss-Army Knife Brain, with a blade dedicated for each purpose, to an integrated brain where all the parts talk to each other, often with astonishing cross talk.

I am working on a new edition of Origins, to be called Bios:Origins to emphasize it will be the finale of a trilogy covering the entire history of the Earth. The first, Bios: Genesis, appears in 2 weeks, and the second, Bios: Megafauna is slated to appear in October 2017. I just finished the first playtest copy of Bios: Megafauna (3rd edition). Bios: Origins is hopefully October 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response! This has been a fun one to go through and that's terrific news regarding a new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:

I just finished the first playtest copy of Bios: Megafauna (3rd edition).

...and you're still looking for some more testers right???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
anatana wrote:
phileklund wrote:

I just finished the first playtest copy of Bios: Megafauna (3rd edition).

...and you're still looking for some more testers right???

Yes, I am looking for playtesters for Bios: Megafauna 3. Co-designer Jon Manker and I got through the first playtest, so it should be ready soon after Essen, anyone interested in playtesting this send an email to phileklund@gmail.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nostra
Slovenia
Ljubljana (Colonia Iulia Aemona, Roman Empire 1st-5th century AD)
flag msg tools
John Company (2017) by Cole Wehrle, Sierra Madre Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought there was a mistake the first time I read Bios: Megafauna 3rd Edition. Was a 2nd Edition published? On BGG, I see only American Megafauna and Bios: Megafauna 1st edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The name "3rd edition " considers American Megafauna to be the first edition. However, American Megafauna itself went through two editions, and I may call this project the Bios: Megafauna second edition to reduce confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.