Popular Tags: [View All]
Wydawnictwo Galakta
Poland
Kraków
Małopolskie
flag msg tools
publisher
Hello everyone! ninja

We are proud to present the full rulebook for Age of Thieves! We know you've waited long but it's finally complete. You can download it here, at BGG:

Age of Thieves - Rulebook 1.0

Please take a look and tell us what do you think about it! Are you excited for the game as much as we are? What are your favourite points or rules? Would you change anything? Please share your point of view with us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any play through or review videos forthcoming to get a feel for game play?

Thanks and best wishes! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydawnictwo Galakta
Poland
Kraków
Małopolskie
flag msg tools
publisher
Hi Ray!

We are making a preview video with gameplay elements. Hopefully we'll make it before Spiel. What's more, many reviews are coming after the fair at Essen October 16th - many great reviewers are really interested in our title!

Thank you for the encouragement! How do you like the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix L.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good read: Clear and precise rules!thumbsup

Just one note: The old paper background especially on page 9 sometimes makes it hard to read the text (at least on screen)...

Can't wait to get my copy on the gaming table

Edit: I probably do like most the secret declaration of actions and the resolution in AP order. Sounds intuitive, fast and tactical!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydawnictwo Galakta
Poland
Kraków
Małopolskie
flag msg tools
publisher
Thanks!

We've printed the rulebook and we think it's ok - the background is lighter on paper than it seems to be on the screen. We can try to make the pdf lighter - thanks for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Fischer
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no problems reading the rule book. The rules sound good. They made this jump from interesting to Must Try. Hope I will have a chance to play it in Essen and then take it home with me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElderSigned wrote:
Just one note: The old paper background especially on page 9 sometimes makes it hard to read the text (at least on screen)...

I have to agree here!
Perhaps a printer friendly version without a background would be interesting. It seems like a (surprisingly) long read to read on a computer screen...
Haven't read the rules yet but at first glance it looks much heavier than anticipated...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydawnictwo Galakta
Poland
Kraków
Małopolskie
flag msg tools
publisher
The Iced One wrote:

Perhaps a printer friendly version without a background would be interesting. It seems like a (surprisingly) long read to read on a computer screen...
Haven't read the rules yet but at first glance it looks much heavier than anticipated...

Thanks for that suggestion! We'll see to this issue and probably follow your advice about the printer friendly version

The rulebook is ultimate reference document, but we didn't like to overload it. So you'll probably find there answer to every question that would appear during the game, but a quick read will suffice to play! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why should I not use all AP in every turn ? Is it sometimes better to act last to see what the other thieves are doing ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydawnictwo Galakta
Poland
Kraków
Małopolskie
flag msg tools
publisher
Exactly! Sometimes you'd rather wait for the other thieves to show what they have in store, and then act quickly, possibly taking actions one after another. ninja

It depends on your cards and play style. Some players want to act quickly and play aggressively and some would rather wait for other players mistakes and then steal the jewel in the right moment Which one are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading, I'm potentially quite interested. But, some questions come to mind:

- does the game leans more toward luck (you program, but still unexpected things happen) and you just mitigate this luck, trying to fulfill your goal or is it more strategic with just a pinch of luck?

- what is the ideal player count? Is 2p ok?

- how clunky (if ever) is managing the guards?

- if you could compare this game to Android: Infiltration, how similar the feel/gameplay is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydawnictwo Galakta
Poland
Kraków
Małopolskie
flag msg tools
publisher
rattkin wrote:

After reading, I'm potentially quite interested. But, some questions come to mind:

- does the game leans more toward luck (you program, but still unexpected things happen) and you just mitigate this luck, trying to fulfill your goal or is it more strategic with just a pinch of luck?

It's definitely more about planning and making the best use of cards that you have. There are of course random events, but they are designed not to be the game breakers - at every time you should be able think of some cunning tactics that would lead you to winning the game.

rattkin wrote:

- what is the ideal player count? Is 2p ok?

There's no ideal player number for Age of Thieves. We've tested it heavily with 2, 3 and 4 players and it works just fine every time.

rattkin wrote:

- how clunky (if ever) is managing the guards?

Not at all! Guards have easy to remember behaviour and a quick look at the board will always tell you which guards you have to move if any.

rattkin wrote:

- if you could compare this game to Android: Infiltration, how similar the feel/gameplay is?

It's very different both in theme and gameplay the only similarity being the act of stealing something and playing as a "thief".ninja

Thank you for these questions! Hope you'll like the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. This raises it to one of the first game to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydawnictwo Galakta
Poland
Kraków
Małopolskie
flag msg tools
publisher
See you at Spiel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is indeed surprisingly exhaustive and long, but as far as I can see it covers everything including possible "what if" cases. No complaints on that account.

I did find one typo and one wording that could be a bit clearer. I understand it's probably too late to make changes to the rulebook now, but there's always future print runs, right? cool

Quote:
p. 19, Joanne flavour text:
Yet, even after the promotion, she worked harder than most eliminating gangs that prayed upon the citizens’ toil

preyed

Quote:
p. 16, Alert Citizens token:
Each thief in the district with this token immediately chooses and discards 1 general action card from his hand.

Maybe just me, but I read it as "thief (in the district) with this token", as if a thief could somehow hold a token like that, and is only affected when he holds one. shake

Maybe change the wording to "Each thief in the district where this token was revealed immediately chooses..." for dense people like me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I was curious about and is hard to tell without seeing the cards: what are the other ways to interact with other thieves? Does it make sense to somehow help each other for a short amount of time? Is there a way to set up traps that other will fall into? Etc, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydawnictwo Galakta
Poland
Kraków
Małopolskie
flag msg tools
publisher
Hi Snapshot! Thank you for these corrections - we will update the future edition of the Rulebook!

rattkin wrote:
One thing I was curious about and is hard to tell without seeing the cards: what are the other ways to interact with other thieves? Does it make sense to somehow help each other for a short amount of time? Is there a way to set up traps that other will fall into? Etc, etc.

You are always against the other thieves - you need to outrace them and steal the jewel first. Almost every action has instant effect, but there are some which leave dangerous markers active until the end of a round.

There is a chance you might want to help other thief for a turn only to get him in the next, but these are rare occasions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a nice medley of a euro and ameri type of game. I will give it a try once it's in Polish distribution. I like the fact that there typically is just one winner and that's it, everybody else simply loses. On top of that you need the main jewel and escape with it. It is possible to sneak a win at the very end; unlike in other games in which you know that you'll never catch the leader, due to the current points difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghostfire wu
Taiwan
flag msg tools
This game is awesome, even I just see the pictures and read the rulebook. I'll buy one, and I translate the rulebook into Traditional Chinese to let my friends (even others in Taiwan) know how to play it, could I upload it here?

However, thank you for designing good games.

ps:

in page 4, step 6, Important: "Before" your first game?

page 6, Game Turn/Playing the Game, b): should "yellow token" be "yellow jewel"?

page 7, Game Board Overview: should the text under the pic "guardhouse with swords" be "Guardhouse with swords"?

page 10, Action Card Overview: should "Each Event Card" be "Each Action Card"?

page 11, Theft, Important: should "the theft token" be "the theft maker"?

2016/10/24

page 9, Types of Movement: see p. 14 → p.12; see p.12 → p. 11, 17

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel Lothar
Canada
flag msg tools
I think the game looks fantastic.

A few things:

1. Does the random apparition of gems on the board add an important luck factor? The game is all about planning, but gems appearing or not appearing close to your character might play an important role? I did not playtest, so it's just an observation after reading the rules. I do see that yellow gems are not worth much, though.

2. I wonder, after reading, how the game flow goes after someone steals the main jewel. Since it brings automatic victory, how does the game avoid the pitfall of everyone leaping on the first thief to take the jewel, with said jewel thereafter exchanging hands in a series of steals? It's just a question. I see the possibility of victory through VP, so maybe stealing the main jewel is really hard... yet someone has to do it, or everyone loses...

3. Am I wrong or is there some form of blind bidding for action? At first, I thought that adding more AP on a card meant it would be more powerful, but it seems to only affect order of play, so this order must be important? I often dislike blind bidding, which to me, only works if losing the bidding is not catastrophic by any means. I can't say simply by reading the rules, though, if this bidding for order of play is crucial or not. I just really hate situations when you use half your ressources to do soemthing, then blindly, someone mobilizing one more ressource than you gets everything and you end up with nothing (see: Tal der Könige). Then again, I might have misunderstood the mechanic or its implications.

Otherwise the game looks so great that I would like to preorder it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
msg tools
Axel: I'm not from Galakta but I bought the game at Essen so I feel qualified to comment

1) Gems don't appear randomly - they are placed by the first player (and may only be placed more than six spaces from a thief). So nobody can pick up a gem in the same turn it's placed unless they are using several movement cards (e.g. Potion of Speed which allows 4 extra moves). They don't add a lot in the Calm phase as usually the players are rushing to steal the Emperor's Jewel - but on the way out of the city you could stop off to grab a couple. Escaping from the city in time is very difficult, so it's perfectly possible for someone to win with only a couple of yellow gems purely because they escaped and everyone else failed. Makes for a couple of different strategies - do you try for the instant win, or just grab a few gems and run for it? If you escape you lose the ability to mess with the other players (by moving guards etc) so there's a real cost-benefit tradeoff to consider - you don't want to make it too easy for the thief carrying the big jewel to escape.

2) When the guards are alerted (and especially when the Captains are added, it changes a lot. Because all players are then scrambling to escape the city from the same quarter of the board, they're thrown together a lot more and are forced to work a lot harder to avoid capture. It's particularly hard to move the Captains around as few cards specifically refer to them - you basically have to get one of them to chase you and then either hide, double back or manoeuvre them into catching another thief () to get them out of position and free up a route to the exit. This becomes really difficult when there are three players working against you, as they may decide to force a draw (everyone loses) rather than allow you to escape with the Emperor's Jewel...

3) There is blind bidding for initiative. You still get your actions in almost all cases (the only exception is if someone going before you changes something - e.g. you were going to throw a smoke grenade at them but they move out of range before you throw it) but the order relative to the other players - and the guards - is determined by your AP spend. You get +3 AP for being the player currently holding the Emperor's Jewel (from adrenaline, I guess!) so you are more likely to be able to go first if you are leading. But equally you may want to execute your actions without any interruptions, in which case you can just bid one AP per card and do them all at the end of the round once everyone has moved already...

Losing isn't catastrophic - you still get to do all your actions - but if you are dead set on having a "perfect turn" then it's less likely that the board will be exactly the same when you get your turn to do your actions because of how the other players have changed it before your actions take place. You can go "all in" on one card to prevent someone going before you - for example if you've just stolen the Emperor's jewel there will probably be guards nearby so you may want to use 10-12AP on one card to be sure that you will escape before another player sets the guards on you! There will definitely be occasional disappointment when other players mess with you (there's one card that forces a player to discard down to one AP on each action card so they're guaranteed to go last...) but it's not often fatal. Even if you get caught you can get back into the lead within a couple of turns, so it's not too severe. I really like how it works

Stone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Schneider
Germany
flag msg tools
I also have another question about the rules.

In the rules stand "the same thief cannot resolve a few action cards with the same initiative in a row.."

There is also an example to explain this rule.

How about this case?

The first thief have an action card with 4 AP, another player has 2 cards with each 4 AP.

The first thief goes first, after this the second player resolve his 2 cards.

Is this correct?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Greetings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydawnictwo Galakta
Poland
Kraków
Małopolskie
flag msg tools
publisher
Correct! "the same thief cannot resolve a few action cards with the same initiative in a row.." regards to a tie situation. In case there's only one player with multiple cards with evenly distributed AP he or she activates all of his or her cards one at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba
msg tools
Hi Galakta,
When can we expect any reviews/complete previews of the game? Would like to see some before making a pre-order.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cyberfefe wrote:
Hello from Argentina! I have a question concerning the treatment of tokens. It seems that some are to be treated as the object that they represent (jewels) but other such as ap or movement are to be treated differently. Can these tokens be stealed?

Stolen. No, they can't be. Only jewels can be stolen. If you wish, you can replace the jewel cardboard token with the actual jewel (yellow plastic, that is).

cyberfefe wrote:

Also, the 2ap token state that the ap cant be reduced. What about the crossbow? And what about the 1ap token? It doesent state that. Should both be treated equally?

I would imagine, that if that's the only token you have on the card, then Crossbow cannot affect it. If, however, you have more standard AP on the card, just reduce them to 1 and put the token aside. I'm not sure if that counts as token used, but I would say yes. 1 AP token works the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.