Subject: Airfix Battles First Experience!! (First time wargamer) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jan hendrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello fellow boardgamers!!

Since i havent seen much people talk about: Airfix Battles yet. I was wondering if there are actually any people playing it at this time!
Dont know if i have the right side of the forum here for my post but well see

So i have recently bought airfix battles and ive been wondering how it would play Solo. Since i dont have anyone really to go and play it with on a regular basis, though i always wanted to get the feel of a wargame.
My first impressions when i saw the game online were really good, and my expectations were maybe kind of high for what you get in the box.

The introductory wargame gives you 3 boards with *tokens in them (*facedown tokens for infantry, tanks, towguns, halftracks and some inviroment and numbers etc.) you also get a bunch of command cards, unit cards and 12 dice (wich in my opinion are really nice!!) Next to that you get 2 double sided maps wich are again nicely done. The downside of the maps are that they are just paper maps and u have to weight them down a bit first since there folded up in the box. You also get a scenario book and a rulebook wich i (as a starting wargamer / boardgamer) give a 9/10 ! most of the things you need to know are really well explained! A bit of trouble for me personally in the grenade explanations etc, but BGG helped me out with that.

My first game

After i read trought first pages of the rulebook, page 1-to-11 of the rulebook for *your first game* and following all the steps. I had the board ready to play.
I decided since i played solo, but wanted to play as both sides to get a grip on the rules a.s.a.p. i just rolled the die to see where my troups would start. since the starting area had 5 spots to start on for both sides i just made 1&6 be the first spot and so on.

This is how i started off the game, Allied forces top / Axis forces bottom. to be honost, the set-up of the game takes a bit of time. But i guess thats kinda normal for a game where every token/miniature/chit represents 1 soldier of a unit. Since u have to count them out etc.etc.

So after setting up i started playing the game, i did my best on both sides and did not (try) to take any favorites.
One of the things that came up pretty early on was the interrupt cards. I have to say, some of them are really really good!! There are also some interrupt cards that give you back a few troops in a unit, but there is also one who cancels a interrupt and cant be cancelled itself. So for me, it feels really fun that you have a sort of say in the other persons(A.I.) turn!

To be completely honost, i do have missed out once or twice on the special abilities on the unit cards. The american infantry squad's have something called american firepowerwich allows them to gain 1 extra die when making an attack against other infantry. Surely ive missed out on some other few little things. But since it was my very first game, it felt like a learning moment more then a mistake

The small game i played in the *your first game* ruleset allready felt kinda epic to be honost. The U.S. troops were pushing there way up to get some fire on the Germans. While the Germans had some really nice movement into cover wich gave them the ability to do save rolls wich were really helpfull in this kind of close combat skirmish feel.

Thoughts and Feel

My overall thoughts about the game is really like "i want to explore more of this game!" and reading in the back of the rulebook where they are talking about Map Packs & Force Decks expansions, and a Airfix Battles Bonus deck, i really think that i will add them to my collection one day.
As a 0 experience wargamer, i really really like the game!
I havent played with Towguns & Vehicles/tanks yet, so i cant give you a 100% depth review on this. But i just wanted to share my experience after my first game. Since i havent seen allot of people post/talk about this game, and for me! Its something i see myself playing allot in the coming months.

After i got my first feel on the Vehicle & Towgun play, i will share my experience on that. But for now i think this is a perfect game to get into wargaming, since i have had no experience whatsoever and after a 20-30 min read trough the rulebook you really get a good idea of how you are supposed to play.

I really like the game so far, and hope to get some comments on you're experience on it. And maybe even a short report of other players playing the game.

Thank you so far, i will post more of my experience in airfix battles later on!

Cheerz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
You may want to ask a moderator to move it to the game's session forum page as there are no sessions posted for the game so far and your post would receive better attention there.

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1811422/airfix-battles/sessio...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
brullemans wrote:
Hello fellow boardgamers!!

Since i havent seen much people talk about: Airfix Battles yet. I was wondering if there are actually any people playing it at this time!
Dont know if i have the right side of the forum here for my post but well see

So i have recently bought airfix battles and ive been wondering how it would play Solo. Since i dont have anyone really to go and play it with on a regular basis, though i always wanted to get the feel of a wargame.
My first impressions when i saw the game online were really good, and my expectations were maybe kind of high for what you get in the box.

The introductory wargame gives you 3 boards with *tokens in them (*facedown tokens for infantry, tanks, towguns, halftracks and some inviroment and numbers etc.) you also get a bunch of command cards, unit cards and 12 dice (wich in my opinion are really nice!!) Next to that you get 2 double sided maps wich are again nicely done. The downside of the maps are that they are just paper maps and u have to weight them down a bit first since there folded up in the box. You also get a scenario book and a rulebook wich i (as a starting wargamer / boardgamer) give a 9/10 ! most of the things you need to know are really well explained! A bit of trouble for me personally in the grenade explanations etc, but BGG helped me out with that.

My first game

After i read trought first pages of the rulebook, page 1-to-11 of the rulebook for *your first game* and following all the steps. I had the board ready to play.
I decided since i played solo, but wanted to play as both sides to get a grip on the rules a.s.a.p. i just rolled the die to see where my troups would start. since the starting area had 5 spots to start on for both sides i just made 1&6 be the first spot and so on.

This is how i started off the game, Allied forces top / Axis forces bottom. to be honost, the set-up of the game takes a bit of time. But i guess thats kinda normal for a game where every token/miniature/chit represents 1 soldier of a unit. Since u have to count them out etc.etc.

So after setting up i started playing the game, i did my best on both sides and did not (try) to take any favorites.
One of the things that came up pretty early on was the interrupt cards. I have to say, some of them are really really good!! There are also some interrupt cards that give you back a few troops in a unit, but there is also one who cancels a interrupt and cant be cancelled itself. So for me, it feels really fun that you have a sort of say in the other persons(A.I.) turn!

To be completely honost, i do have missed out once or twice on the special abilities on the unit cards. The american infantry squad's have something called american firepowerwich allows them to gain 1 extra die when making an attack against other infantry. Surely ive missed out on some other few little things. But since it was my very first game, it felt like a learning moment more then a mistake

The small game i played in the *your first game* ruleset allready felt kinda epic to be honost. The U.S. troops were pushing there way up to get some fire on the Germans. While the Germans had some really nice movement into cover wich gave them the ability to do save rolls wich were really helpfull in this kind of close combat skirmish feel.

Thoughts and Feel

My overall thoughts about the game is really like "i want to explore more of this game!" and reading in the back of the rulebook where they are talking about Map Packs & Force Decks expansions, and a Airfix Battles Bonus deck, i really think that i will add them to my collection one day.
As a 0 experience wargamer, i really really like the game!
I havent played with Towguns & Vehicles/tanks yet, so i cant give you a 100% depth review on this. But i just wanted to share my experience after my first game. Since i havent seen allot of people post/talk about this game, and for me! Its something i see myself playing allot in the coming months.

After i got my first feel on the Vehicle & Towgun play, i will share my experience on that. But for now i think this is a perfect game to get into wargaming, since i have had no experience whatsoever and after a 20-30 min read trough the rulebook you really get a good idea of how you are supposed to play.

I really like the game so far, and hope to get some comments on you're experience on it. And maybe even a short report of other players playing the game.

Thank you so far, i will post more of my experience in airfix battles later on!

Cheerz
whistle FT4"embiggeneding"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan hendrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Philip, problem is i dont know how haha!

@Robert, i dont really know what u mean haha! But maybe you can Keep in consideration that this is my very First "review" so advice or tips would be welcome. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
googoo "Avocado Goggles" YET were naught 'binoculars'/'telescope'/'microscope' so, viewing the smaller imagery of yours have then become "embiggened" in order for better viewings now. You can "copy & paste" those of what I made, or just ADD/append them with 'original'-sizing after their ImageID-numeral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Piepho
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I've thought about trying this out, but have hesitancy due to the lack of follow-up by the company. They have talked about a "Collector's Edition" for months, but no product spotted yet. So, the big question is whether Modiphius and Airfix will continue to build on the platform. If not, the introductory game alone doesn't appear to offer enough replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paull
United Kingdom
HUNTINGDON
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
skystalker wrote:
Quote:

I've thought about trying this out, but have hesitancy due to the lack of follow-up by the company. They have talked about a "Collector's Edition" for months, but no product spotted yet. So, the big question is whether Modiphius and Airfix will continue to build on the platform. If not, the introductory game alone doesn't appear to offer enough replayability.

A new set of 10 scenarios in a linked campaign (Operation Cobra) is now available on PDF. So that makes 20 scenarios, so far.

Alan
(Co-designer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alan Paull wrote:
skystalker wrote:
Quote:

A new set of 10 scenarios in a linked campaign (Operation Cobra) is now available on PDF. So that makes 20 scenarios, so far.

Alan
(Co-designer)

That's great news!! :-)
Is there anything in the pipeline in the way of expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Anderson
msg tools
new user
Alan Paull wrote:

Alan
(Co-designer)

How do we get that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.