$30.00
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is NOT another "What's your favourite/the best Feld game" thread. This is more specific.

If you are an experienced Feldian (for the purposes of this thread I'll consider you an expert/experienced if you've played more than half his games at least twice, but if not and you think your an expert, I'd be happy to read your answers, too!), what do you think of the games you've played considering what I've heard about them and what I've experienced (see list below - my opinions based on my experiences are in red)?

I'm wanting to expand my Feld collection with his best games, but I'm stuck at five because of what I've heard of the others. I want a game I'm going to love, or at least like quite a bit, not just one with his name on it.

I own and enjoy: AquaSphere, Trajan, Bora Bora, The Castles of Burgundy, and Macao.

What I've heard/read/experienced:

2005 Roma - boring
2006 Rum & Pirates - poorly designed
2007 In the Year of the Dragon - very tight, mean(?), and unforgiving (good or bad?)
2007 Notre Dame - good, simple, rats
2008 The Name of the Rose - poorly designed
2009 Arena: Roma II - ok but simple
2009 The Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel - mean
2009 Macao - good game, very cool and fun use of the wind rose, dry
2010 Luna - very strange theme, goddess/nature worship(?), fun gameplay if the theme doesn't offend you
2010 The Speicherstadt - interesting but mean
2010 It Happens.. - overly simple
2011 The Castles of Burgundy - I've played too many times, good game, poor production value, fun combos
2011 Strasbourg - haven't heard much about his one
2011 Trajan - great game! brilliant mancala
2013 Bora Bora - very good game, can be mean, but effective ways to mitigate, I can't score worth beans in this game
2013 Rialto - not very good, possibly broken
2013 Bruges - not very good, possibly broken because random chance can change outcome
2013 Amerigo - I can't figure out why there are so many negative reviews of this one, looks pretty good
2014 La Isla - simple, not great 2p
2014 AquaSphere - Brilliant game! great simplicity/depth ratio, fun tactics, beautiful and interesting colours/design
2016 The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game - not a good implementation of board game, boring(?)
2016 The Oracle of Delphi - no points, race game

I'm leaning toward Amerigo and Notre Dame, and possibly In the Year of the Dragon and La Isla. What are your expert opinions on Feld's games?

Thanks for the insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arena Roma II is just as boring as Roma. Both games can get caught in a vicious cycle of both sides gaining a few points and losing a few points thereby stretching the game long beyond a reasonable time frame for the game. I rate it maybe 4 out of 10.

Rialto is easily my favorite Feld game. It's not broken. Perhaps some of the buildings are stronger than others, but I think it's more likely that some are easier for beginners to know how to use them properly. I have seen several different strategies work. I really like how the buildings drive hand management in that game and I always seem to enjoy area majority/area control games which is a big part of Rialto. I also like how the values of the districts are determined by the players as the game progresses. It really feels more like an old schooled euro than his other games. If you like that style of older euro, you will enjoy it. If you are more caught up in the more modern direction of point salad type euros, which I tend not to be, you may not like it as much.

I find the Castles of Burgundy the Card game to be pretty bad.

I did not enjoy Bruge much at all, though I played it without the expansion. It took too work much, IMO, to get the person cards in play and the punishments seemed too destructive and snarky.

La Isla works fine with two. The card play is similar to Bruge, but significantly smoother and hence I like it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very helpful, David B, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Spencerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my top 10 - Bora Bora and Trajan
Also rated 10's for me - Castles of Burgundy, Macao

Others I own:

AquaSphere - It's okay, but I don't like how restrictive and punishing it is.
La Isla - It's a little simplistic for my taste. I keep it because my wife and daughter like it. The board is a little too open with 2 players.

Others I've previously owned:

Bruges - Was excited about it, but it didn't click for us. It didn't feel like it really did anything unique. I think the uniqueness was supposed to multiple use cards combined with Feldian goodness, but somehow it just didn't work for me. If I want a multi use card game, I'd rather play Glory to Rome. If I want Feldian goodness, I'd rather one of the four I've already rated a 10.
Rialto - There was nothing horrible about it, but there just wasn't anything about it that made us want to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the games you own and enjoy, I'd recommend Luna and In the Year of the Dragon next. One reason is, because those 2 are similarly complex/difficult, the other is, that I personally find that Luna requires a similar kind of thinking as AquaSphere, and In the Year of the Dragon is similarly unforgiving.

Of the medium-weight games I like Notre Dame and Rialto best: Notre Dame because of the drafting system which reduces downtime very effectively, and Rialto, which is definitely not broken - where does this opinion come from? Rialto maybe has the problem, that it is very different to Stefans other games and his fans expected something else - that's why you possibly should try other designs of him first.

Maybe I should add, that I'm the publisher/editor and/or developer of Luna, AquaSphere, Rialto and the Oracle of Delphi, so I'm of course biased! That said, I still consider Luna as my all-time-favorite game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:
This is NOT another "What's your favourite/the best Feld game" thread. This is more specific.

If you are an experienced Feldian (for the purposes of this thread I'll consider you an expert/experienced if you've played more than half his games at least twice, but if not and you think your an expert, I'd be happy to read your answers, too!), what do you think of the games you've played considering what I've heard about them and what I've experienced (see list below - my opinions based on my experiences are in red)?

I'm wanting to expand my Feld collection with his best games, but I'm stuck at five because of what I've heard of the others. I want a game I'm going to love, or at least like quite a bit, not just one with his name on it.

I own and enjoy: AquaSphere, Trajan, Bora Bora, The Castles of Burgundy, and Macao.

What I've heard/read/experienced:

2005 Roma - boring
2007 In the Year of the Dragon - very tight, mean(?), and unforgiving (good or bad?)
2008 The Name of the Rose - poorly designed
2009 Arena: Roma II - ok but simple
2009 The Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel - mean
2010 Luna - very strange theme, goddess/nature worship(?), fun gameplay if the theme doesn't offend you
2011 The Castles of Burgundy - I've played too many times, good game, poor production value, fun combos
2013 Bora Bora - very good game, can be mean, but effective ways to mitigate, I can't score worth beans in this game
2013 Bruges - not very good, possibly broken because random chance can change outcome
2013 Amerigo - I can't figure out why there are so many negative reviews of this one, looks pretty good
2014 AquaSphere - Brilliant game! great simplicity/depth ratio, fun tactics, beautiful and interesting colours/design
2016 The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game - not a good implementation of board game, boring(?)
2016 The Oracle of Delphi - no points, race game

I'm leaning toward Amerigo and Notre Dame, and possibly In the Year of the Dragon and La Isla. What are your expert opinions on Feld's games?

Thanks for the insight.

I strongly disagree with your (and David's) evaluation of Roma. It's fast (never over 15 minutes if both players know the game, 5 minutes if the win is achieved by killing and not by points), extremely portable and quite deep for the size. Downside: it's VERY tough to teach compared to the scope of the game. TIER 2 for me - good, not outstanding

Notre Dame: I would like to like this more, given the very nice theme. However, the dullness of the draft makes your decisions easy, VERY easy. And difficult decisions lie at the core of good games. This is also particularly prone to a player gifting the game to the one sitting on his left. - TIER 3 - will play, but will never suggest it and I don't need to own it.

This is getting long, I'll probably write a post about the rest later.

I'll just say that Rialto is excellent.

Geki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

This is a super light route building game, where players get cute little pirate meeples that they lay down behind the path of the red action pawn that players move around the board to collect tiles of different point values when they land on an intersection space. A few of the tile collection methods require die rolls, which feels a little uncomfortable among the other mechanisms in the game. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's poorly designed. The game is pretty fun for what it is, however I didn't think I needed to own this.

Quote:

This game can be very unforgiving of mistakes and you need to keep up with other player's point generation engines. There isn't really a catchup mechanism in this game, which can feel a little hopeless for the players not doing well. Despite this, it's a tight, punchy game full of suffering which is something I can appreciate, but in the end the game didn't have enough flexibility in strategies for me to hold onto it.

Quote:

This is one of my favorite feld games. The way that each player gets a symmetrical deck of cards and on their turn they draw three cards from their deck, keep 1 and pass the others, until everyone has a three card hand again. Then each player gets to resolve two of the three cards as actions. The actions build on each other, so all following times you preform action A, Action A gets stronger in it's effect. It's so full of possibilities for action efficiency.

Quote:

This is a fun early Feld, where we see the inspiration for many future games. You roll dice to determine resources, you collect sets of tiles, you have the turn order stack mechanic he puts into his games, and you have an early version of his card combo mechanic you see in Bruges. It's an interesting game to play, and it's nice in how uncomplicated it seems compared to his later designs. Sometimes returning to the basics is refreshing. I didn't hold onto this game, as I have many of the games that overlap the mechanics, but I certainly enjoyed playing it.

Quote:

What? Offensive theme? How...?
Luna is my favorite feld game. This is a game where you really need to plan a few rounds ahead in order to really take advantage of your workers, and it's Feldian in the way that you need X to do Y to do Z. It's a fantastic brain burner with simple choices that lead to significant results.

Quote:

There's a ton I dislike in this game. Everyone seems enamored by the bidding mechanism where the first player in has the opportunity to buy it, but everyone who bids after him makes the price more expensive. I dislike this, because the income per turn is so low, that forcing someone to pay more than they should for a card they need can cripple you on future turns, but choosing to not pay can mean you just don't get any cards at all, which is equally crippling. Then the mechanism of how fire resolves, where it rewards the player who was able to get the firehat card and hurts the player struggling to get any cards at all. Then, I also dislike how in the first few rounds you need to buy contracts and merchants who require resources that come into play randomly in the future, which you also then need to be able to afford, and it's not uncommon to have cards in front of you that you had to really fight for that you never get to execute. The expansion also is bad in that it adds another card row at the top that allows players to make sure some cards never see play as an aggressive move, and gives nearly free cards to whoever happens to be last in turn order. I really don't see any appeal to this game at all.

Quote:

This is a cute kid's game made for kids. Nothing wrong with it, but it won't hold your attention as an adult for long.

Quote:

Interesting tile laying mechanics where you want to complete areas of your board for first-ies bonuses, but larger areas pay out more. Terrible turn order adjustment mechanic, ugly game boards, randomness as to what tiles you are allowed to take, difficult to remember iconography of building abilities.

Quote:

This is a ridiculously tight bidding game where you are fighting off random card draws to try to beat your opponents to unknowingly taking the spaces you desperately need to get points and to not suffer uncompleted goal penalties. Many of the secret goal cards push up against other cards, so the game really forces you to put everything into winning the few things you need, and then hope that another player didn't happen to randomly draw and then is able to complete higher value cards. For example, a common goal is to have three meeples in one color region of the board. There are three auctions to place a guy with the top 2 bidders getting to place, assuming they have the money to do so. Mess that up once, and rather than getting a ton of points for your card, you get -3. My group didn't enjoy this game at all.

Quote:

This game is interesting and super frustrating to play. Getting the action pegs to line up to take the actions you want to take requires a lot of forethought. The extra actions mechanics make this even more frustrating when you see other players pull of moves that let them do a lot in the same turn. The different action regions aren't of equal value, so knowing that is important. It also has a 'feed your forces' mechanic each round to bring in some of that Agricola inspired frustration. Despite this all, I like the game. Somewhere between all that frustration there are a lot of little aspects to the game I enjoy. The thing that lets the negative aspects outshine the good aspects is how each area of the board has nothing to do with the others, making the game feel very empty.

Quote:

I really enjoyed Bora Bora. I think it's a pretty great game. It has the action variation of Trajan, but the theme works together, and different actions influence each other from time to time. It has the dice determining your actions mechanic of Burgundy, but it's player driven rather than game mechanics driven, where in Bora, you get to take an action so long as no player as assigned a lower die value to that action yet (and the higher the die value, the more options you have for resolving that action).

Quote:

This game isn't broken. It's a fast and streamlined majorities game. Essentially it's el grande if you only scored the board once, and rather than be able to send guys to different regions of the board, you can only send guys to the current of 6 regions (with one minor exception that lets you add 1 guy anywhere). Your actions are determined by the cards. The cards are chosen in player order from a series of piles where some are face up and others are face down. In this way you can influence which actions you get, but not really control which actions you get. There are balancing factors such as being able to control the point value of the different regions, and being able to build buildings for points rather than worry about the board at all. The only problem with Rialto is that for area majority I'd rather be playing El Grande, and for I-split-you-choose i'd rather be playing Dynasties: Heirate & Herrsche.

Quote:

I like how the cards have multiple uses depending on what you want to do, and how their effects can stack and build on each other. The setup process is frustrating as you take a big stack of cards, split it into five even piles and then two of those piles are your draw decks.

The reputation track mechanic isn't well thought out as it can be impossible to gain the lead from someone. This is troublesome because it's worth points inherently but also it gives one of the three 'majority bonuses' for the player in the lead.

In the game there are disasters that can wipe away your progress, and the disasters are assigned randomly. Once you get your third of a kind, you suffer the negative effect. There is an in game threat mitigation mechanic but it relies on you having the right colored card in hand at the right time, and since you can only hold 1 card between rounds, this can be difficult. Additionally, not all the disasters are of equal severity.

Some of the personalities are too powerful. In particular the 12 cost cards who are the most expensive guys in the game, have very unbalancing effects.

Quote:

This is a pretty fantastic game. Cubes of a single color are dumped into a cube tower which is supposed to retain some of the cubes. Whichever cubes fall out, determines which actions are available each turn with an action strength equal to the highest number of single color cubes that fell. A big part of the strategy is counting the number of cubes of each color that aren't in the tower, and make predictions about the likeliness of future potential action opportunities that round. Like most Feld games there are a lot of different things to do to get points, but the different elements are nicely tied together.

The bad part is that late in the game, the sailing action becomes meaningless. It might have been nice to give boats something to do once they can no longer reach any unoccupied anchor spots. Another big issue is that the cube tower that comes in the box seems to have some trouble actually retaining cubes. This leads to duller games where the action options are stronger than I think was meant, and there are limited color choices.

Quote:

This is a game where your card draws dictate what moves you are able to make, then you are expected to set up and execute board combos to snatch up sets of animal tokens by surrounding them. This doesn't work, because other players who got better draws, can sneak in and snatch away the tokens you were setting up for before you can get there. I went first and spent the whole game having other players snatch tokens out from under me after 2 turns of awkward setup. Super frustrating and I hope I don't have to play this again.

Quote:

This game has what I like in Felds, which is meaningful decisions, tension about being able to beat players to spots and about reacting when a player takes a spot from you. The area control aspect is very well thought out, and it's both possible to play predictably and unpredictably. I'm fond of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Geki, I also really like Roma/Arena: Roma II, and I usually don't care for lighter games. It's good stuff and fun.

Year of the Dragon is ok. Sometimes the event tiles can come out in a way that the last couple don't matter.

Notre Dame is very good, especially with the extra people cards. I always enjoy my plays of it.

Macao - if you know/have seen me around these parts, you know my love for this masterpiece. It's my #1 and for good reason. Plays well at all player counts.

Luna - have never played because of the theme. Maybe someday.

Speicherstadt - good, better with the expansion, but not one I felt that I had to keep.

Burgundy - Very fun, but not a game that I have any desire to play with more than 2p. Too much tableau-checking, but with 2p, it's sublime.

Strasbourg - Only played it once, but it was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

Trajan - Another stellar Feld. Just have to avoid playing with anyone with AP. All the different things going on make it wonderful. Again, good at all player counts.

Bora Bora - Beautiful. Love the Polynesian theme. Dice for actions is a love of mine. This is one that I prefer with 4p only.

Rialto - Unlike Geki, I detested my play of this so much that I dumped it. Reminded me of El Grande, another game that causes me physical pain.

Bruges - Another one of my favorites, especially with the expansion. Really good stuff. I'm a tactical player, so dealing with random crap thrown at me is enjoyable.

Amerigo - I've enjoyed when I've played it. The tower has some wonkiness to it, and sometimes the cubes come out in a way that everyone is taking the same actions, but I like it.

Aquasphere - another one with a goofy theme that I have avoided.

Burgundy Card Game - Not sure I need to play this. I get the feeling that it would leave me wondering why I'm not playing the actual board game.

Hope my views help! Also, if you like dice for actions, I cannot recommend Troyes highly enough. It's one of those games that if you didn't know it, you might mistake it for a Feld.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just comment on the ones where I have a big disagreement with your comments.

Rialto doesn't get as much love as it deserves.
Amerigo fell flat for me. It just wasn't that compelling honestly. I'm surprised why it gets any good reviews.
La Isla is a great short game. I think it's fine two player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the five you like many times, so I have a sense for what you might like.

CoB 108x and ranks #3 in my collection
Trajan 36x/#11
Macao 14x/#18
AquaSphere 11x/#17
Bora Bora 6x/#43

Of the others you are considering here are the ones I've played and thoughts on them:

Bruges 49x/#5 - we love this one and enjoy the expansion with it as well. Multi card use is always fun.

Notre Dame 7x/#34 - it is an earlier, simple design, but elegant and one I would enjoy playing more.

Rialto 5x/#54 - we mostly play 2p and I admit we haven't tried the 2p variant yet (that David claims is good). With more players it is a fun game, I just have been unsuccessful to interest others given other multiplayer choices.

Amerigo 1x/#28 - I've only played it once and enjoyed it enough that I'd like to own it. This seems to be a love or hate option (risky?).

La Isla 2x - I don't own, and enjoyed as lighter option, but not enough to own it at this point.

CoB:TCG 10x/New - I wouldn't choose it over the board game given the option, but it travels well, has a great price point, and offers a decent solo option in a pinch.

meeple Keep playing (and happy choosing)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be helpful if you distinguished between what you've heard and what you've experienced. No sense in trying to tell you whether something is good or bad if you already have your own opinion.

Feld's very best: Luna

Others in top tier (in no particular order, because they're pretty different):
In the Year of the Dragon
The Castles of Burgundy
AquaSphere
Trajan
Bora Bora

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
2005 Roma - couldn't get the hang of it when I played it first, might have to revisit it because I was still wet and green at the time
2006 Rum & Pirates - never played
2007 In the Year of the Dragon - hands down the best deconstruction engine around, designed to perfection... but annoying in that the game often plays you instead of the other way around
2007 Notre Dame - impressive design feat to cram so many routes to victory into such a short game... but the draft giveth and the draft taketh away and taketh away and taketh away
2008 The Name of the Rose - ick, ick, ick, ruined by random events, Clans is in all ways the superior game
2009 Arena: Roma II - See Roma.
2009 The Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel - never played
2009 Macao - too much randomness in the dice rolls ruin the engine aspect, and force unhealthy attention on the turn order track to be able to mitigate it, not fun
2010 Luna - unique zero randomness game with several unique mechanisms, hard to explain, but very satisfying to play, with satisfyingly nasty interaction; for me Feld's #2 game
2010 The Speicherstadt - not played sufficiently often to form an opinion
2010 It Happens.. - never played
2011 The Castles of Burgundy - boring: the dice are used in an interesting way, but with some experience it's hard to eff up your game; also I never have the feeling I could have done significantly better at the end
2011 Strasbourg - ye olde style Feld marrying two mechanisms together, but as with all blind bids you can get terribly hosed by finding out you did not bid enough for something, and from that moment on you're fighting a rear guard fight
2011 Trajan - best Feld game to date (but Luna is really really close as to make little difference... it's just that Trajan is explained more easily): great use of the mancala, really fun to see that the whole of Trajan is better than its parts
2013 Bora Bora - a riot of colour held together by a next to broken dice mechanism which doles out hosage as it sees fit
2013 Rialto - never played, would like to, though
2013 Bruges - makes a mockery of card comboing and succeeds well in doing that; not a great game because of the brutal card randomness, but fun nonetheless; superseded by La Isla
2013 Amerigo - gimmicky construct
2014 La Isla - Bruges with a bit more control, resulting in a much better and more playable game
2014 AquaSphere - knife fight in an iron maiden filled with molasses, impossible to get things done, game plays you instead of the other way around
2016 The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game - excellent conversion of the boardgame in that it is just as pointless to try and improve one's play, but is also over and done with in a much smaller amount of time
2016 The Oracle of Delphi - not yet played

Really, at this point it's either Luna, Notre Dame or ItYotD for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
It would be helpful if you distinguished between what you've heard and what you've experienced. No sense in trying to tell you whether something is good or bad if you already have your own opinion.

I did:
Quote:
(see list below - my opinions based on my experiences are in red)?

Why do you like Luna and In the Year of the Dragon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Garnett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I think Strasbourg is excellent for 3 to 5 players. Nice bidding mechanism and area control
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:
curtc wrote:

I did:
Quote:
(see list below - my opinions based on my experiences are in red)?

Ahh. I saw, "What I've heard/read/experienced:", but the comment about red was buried three paragraphs up! shake)

VolleyGame wrote:
Why do you like Luna and In the Year of the Dragon?

Luna: This game is just ridiculously good. There is zero-randomness, but it still feels like there's plenty of variation. It's not simple a "do this for X points, and do that for Y points" game. The actions are very different. You have to make goals and sub-goals, and make specific plans for how to accomplish them. This is also by far the most unique among Feld games, and even among Euros in general. You could think of it as an action selection game, but many of the actions require specific "tokens" to activate, which you must pre-acquire. So seeing what tokens players have give you a cue as to what actions they may take.

In the Year of the Dragon: This is one of the most sadistic games around. It's pretty much a building game where you try to avoid getting completely wrecked while every round bad stuff is happening. It's a slog about trying to make progress while mitigating all the bad stuff. Minimal randomness (but not zero).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan21 wrote:
I think Strasbourg is excellent for 3 to 5 players. Nice bidding mechanism and area control

It's a nice system. Unfortunately, however, I don't think the difficulty/reward ratio of the goals is always balanced, and is affected unevenly across the cards for various player counts, which severely curtailed the replayability among the folks I tried it with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2005 Roma - have not played
2006 Rum & Pirates - My daughter loves it. It's a fun, light game. I'd happily never play it though. Screams young designer.
2007 In the Year of the Dragon - Very good with 3+ players. Nasty and cutthroat. I could live without it though.
2007 Notre Dame - Fell really flat for us. It's fine, but I think it's overrated due to its scarcity (as is ItYotD). I think later games are better. Definitely needs 3+ players.
2008 The Name of the Rose - have not played
2009 Arena: Roma II - have not played
2009 The Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel - have not played
2009 Macao - I enjoyed this one a lot, but many in my group didn't so it got sold. Can fall a bit flat depending on what cards come out, but the wind rose mechanic is great.
2010 Luna - Probably my favorite Feld game. Good at all player counts. Mean as hell. And the theme (or at least the art) and mechanisms just flow together really well (no pun intended).
2010 The Speicherstadt - my second favorite Feld and my favorite auction game. The Kaispeicher expansion is essential, as far as I'm concerned. Needs 3+ players. Can sometimes fall a little flat in late game, but I really enjoy this one. Reimplemented by the upcoming Jórvík, but I'll take early 20th century Hamburg warehousemen over Vikings any day.
2010 It Happens.. - Kids loved this one. Good fun.
2011 The Castles of Burgundy - Used to be my favorite Feld game, but all of my recent plays have left me cold. I guess I demand more interaction these days.
2011 Strasbourg - Excellent auction game. The limited card mechanic is genius. Needs at least 3 players. There's a decent dummy variant out there for 2 players, but infinitely better with 3+.
2011 Trajan - My third favorite Feld. Dismissed by many as a series of mini-games - a charge that could be aimed at 90% of modern euros. The mancala is great. Everything is great.
2013 Bora Bora - Very good game. I find it very hard to do well in it.
2013 Rialto - excellent area control game with a really nice card mechanic. Needs 3+, but plays great at 3, 4 and 5. Has recently been replaced by Colonialism as my area control game of choice, but this one's still a keeper for me. Far superior to the much touted El Grande IMO.
2013 Bruges - This one took a long time to grow on me. Very good with 3 or 4 players, but in the end it's all a bit too random for me to rate too high. Bits of the expansion improve it. Still a fun, lightish game.
2013 Amerigo - My kids like it, but beyond the gimmick of the cube tower I didn't find anything particularly interesting in it. It's good. But most Feld games are good. The prospect of finding a box to ship it in is probably the only thing keeping me from selling it.
2014 La Isla - very nice, quick and light game. Improves on Bruges. Plays well at all player counts (including 2). Components are pretty bad.
2014 AquaSphere - Took an instant dislike to it, and it has yet to win me over. Far too restrictive, and I feel I am being played by the game. Don't understand all of the love for this one at all.
2016 The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game - not interested
2016 The Oracle of Delphi - after the disappointment of AquaSphere (and the fact that I think Stefan and I should see other people for a while), I'm playing wait and see on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions and insights so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm not as picky as you guys.

Pete (hasn't played a Feld he doesn't like)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Amerigo, and am looking at La Isla and Rialto. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be late to the party because you just posted that you bought the game I was going to suggest.

I have Castles, Trajan, Bora Bora, Aquasphere, Amerigo, and Bruges. I also have Roma 2 but it's up for sale because I have lots of 2-player only games that I prefer more.

The other six aren't going anywhere. Macao and Luna are the only other two that are calling out to me so if I find a good deal one day I might grab them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:
Any other suggestions?

Uh, yeah. See above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I guess I'm not as picky as you guys.
You don't get to 1,100 games by being picky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greetings
I'm definitely not a Feld expert but I mostly enjoyed all of his games and have or played a few of them.
For what it's worth I give you my opinion on the list.

2005 Roma - only played it once and wasn't a big fan.

2006 Rum & Pirates - never played it sorry

2007 In the Year of the Dragon - played it and enjoyed it, it wasn't as mean as I was expecting, okay you have to constantly keep your eye on the events and some give you negative points if you are last, but you win points and lose some points.

2007 Notre Dame - great drafting game I enjoyed very much. Simple but fun

2008 The Name of the Rose - never played it, sorry

2009 Arena: Roma II - never played it, sorry

2009 The Pillars of the Earth: Builders duel - played it and liked it but you have to consider that there is some luck in flipping tokens.

2009 Macao - played it and liked it, great time mechanism

2010 Luna - feldelicious!!! Played it a few times and for me this is the hardest Feld to grasp. I just can't seem to figure out how to time my actions. One of the best for me.

2010 The Speicherstadt - played it a few times and liked it but the firemen seemed to be overpowered to me personal great bidding mechanism

2010 It Happens.. - lighter one I still enjoy

2011 The Castles of Burgundy - my most played Feld game but lately I have the feeling that it doesn't matter what you do, everyone scores almost the same amount of points. Every game feels the same to me. (Personal opinion) maybe I played it to much!

2011 Strasbourg - only played it once and liked it, not one of his best in my opinion
2011 Trajan - Feldelicious! great game! brilliant love the multiple paths to score, so rewarding that almost anything you do scores you points

2013 Bora Bora - great game love dice as workers!

2013 Rialto - I liked it very much but my friends don't, so it doesn't get played anymore.

2013 Bruges - good game but not one of my favorites.

2013 Amerigo - I liked this one a lot. Love the cube tower

2014 La Isla - short and easy and I like it but not as a 2 player game.

2014 AquaSphere - only played it once but liked it, some things look like they are just there to make it complex for no reason other then make it more complex.

2016 The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game - easier then its big brother but I liked it
2016 The Oracle of Delphi - didn't have a chance to play it yet but it's the first Feld game I'm not eager to buy. I want to wait a few months until there are a few more reviews around.

2016 Jorvik haven't played it yet

If you see everyone has a favorite Feld game and a few they don't like for some reason, so this is probably not helping you at all.
I think almost everyone has the seem feeling about Luna, so that would be a great choice.

To make it more complicated there are other designers out there that have that Feldian feel to there games.
In my opinion the Feld is strong in La Granja

Good luck whit your quest and happy gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, because of your answers I have picked up used copies of Amerigo and Rialto (well, actually have physically go an pick this one up from a guy in the next town), and have La Isla and Notre Dame (plus the 9 card expansion/promo) on my wishlist.

Edit: When I get the last two, I'll be satisfied with my collection of nine Feld titles. Sounds like a lot, but that's only 3/8 of the total number.

Thanks all, for your help! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.