Popular Tags: [View All]
Seleukos
Germany
Neuss
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

attachment looks in our current game like the most irritating stuff.
As far as i understand it in every phase the attachment can be shifted (otherwise to keep track of it would be a nigthmare).
Nevertheless, currently the following trick came up: I have corps units that could be kept in supply if attached to a german div HQ in range. Nevertheless i will voluntarily keep them OOS during the allied combat phase, because i have other units nearby, tracing supply to another german div HQ, which has an artillery available to give defensive support. By using 12.5.4 and the third bullet this looks legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Martin
msg tools
I have used this tactic too to maximize defensive artillery availability,

An even weirder example is for divisional units in supply range to their own HQ, but no artillery available (either divisional or attached) through their HQ. However, the defending unit is within 3 hexes of an in-supply unit of another divison, which does have in range artillery available. So the div unit is declared to be attached but OOS to the other div HQ, and so can get arty support that way.

I think declaring the corp unit OOS is legit under the rules. I'm not sure about the divisional unit work around though since it is in range of it's own HQ (and therefore could be considered not OOS), but then again Supply is not necessarily determined by the nearest HQ, rather than which division a unit is regarded to belong or be attached to (and therefore drawing supply/support from).

In either case though, the OOS units would also be counted as one of the 3 attachments to that div, so there are limits to how often this can be employed during one phase if having to support multiple defenses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It wasn't that strange to have units attached to another division, though this wasn't done nearly as frequently in the Allied armies.

In the German army, units would often be attached across divisions, sometimes in the same day, as a necessity.

Necessity breeds ingenuity.. Different war, different time, but remember the credit card phone call from Grenada for support?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.