GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,794 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: What will motivate you? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, without a new preview article the forum kind of dies down quite a bit, so to spark a little more discussion I'd like to pick everyone's brain for a bit.

I was wondering, aside from those that are going to play as every character once through or anything like that, what will be your motivations for playing with a particular character? I was thinking about this earlier, and I find it quite interesting how there are factors that may decide why you pick someone.

Are you going to pick based on the character and their background? These are reoccurring Arkham characters we're talking about. Maybe you just pick your favorite based on who they are.

Their stats? Yes, particular classes have a particular kind of stat line, but maybe you feel comfortable with higher will, or maybe you just have to have that character with more sanity than health.

Their unique ability and item? Wendy would be my choice is this was the only driving factor for me. Having a little bit of control over random elements is always nice. Maybe someone's special item caught your eye?

Their class? I've seen a lot of people saying they are playing mystic. Maybe one class draws you in more than the others.

Or maybe their deck construction rules? Now this ties into class a little, but not completely. Seeing how between the core set investigators and Dunwich vary quite a bit in construction rules, it's easy to justify picking a character based on the particular kind of deck you want to make.

Some of those cater to the rpg players, some to the Arkham line followers, and some to the deck builders. I'm just curious, what is everyone's motivations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulfengaard Hrafnson
United States
Cameron Park
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pick Carolyn Fern, if available, because I like Psychology. Otherwise, I tend to go for the lore-sey character. I have always been fascinated with archeology and mysterious ancient languages, etc. So, I tend to go with those sorts of characters to evoke the feeling of unlocking an ancient secret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agnes. Because I always like playing a spellcaster or an archer in anything I do. As a bonus, I really like the flavor they're giving to the mystic class such as possibly taking horror when spellcasting, or having a fascination with the arcane, etc.

I also just really like Agnes and her backstory about having a past life as a witch, and a pretty badass one at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one of those people who are are planning on playing through as every character, but my first choice is Daisy Walker, the librarian. Depending on what Tomes are available, I like the idea of potentially having a lot of versatility in her actions. Also, my wife is a librarian lol. However, if I can get her to play it with me then I suspect she will want to be Daisy, in which case I will play Roland. It might prove useful to have someone tanking the enemies while Daisy is busy reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are Tomes and how will they play in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Beining
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on playing with all the characters, but I definitely have a hierarchy as to which ones I'll play more often.

For instance, the character I'll probably end up playing the most is Daisy Walker. There are four guys in my weekly gaming group. When it comes to all things "Arkham Files"; one guy likes to be the "muscle" (Roland), one guy likes to be the mage (Agnes), and the other guy doesn't have a type, but he really likes the name Skids. I'm normally the support character that goes insane, so Daisy sounds like she fits the bill. I love the idea of her getting an extra action to use on her tomes, PLUS... The Necronomicon!

When playing Arkham games with my old lady, we always like to use the dynamic duo of Joe Diamond and Jenny Barnes. Since no Joe, Roland will be my go to with her, where she'll pick the girl that's the "prettiest".

As a side not, I CAN'T WAIT for the deluxe expansion. I love playing Jim Culver in the other Arkham games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rnickster86 wrote:
What are Tomes and how will they play in this game?

They are just asset cards with the trait Tome. Each one has different abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Poitier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely try each character at least once, to get a feel for the basics of the classes, but I normally play the tank or the support/explorer, so my first 2 runs are probably going to be Roland and Daisy. Though I feel like I'll prefer playing the Rogues and/or Survivors more once all's said and done.

Evasion and resource generation? More options is always good!
Getting cards back from discard? You deckbuild by putting the best cards in your deck (for what you're going for), so more chances to play those cards = yes please!

At least, that's how I've been interpreting those 2 classes, based on the preview and the cards shown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the spoiled characters it would have to be Agnes since my favorite part of the Arkham File games is exploring the forbidden lore and artifacts. Also her backstory of remembering her former life as a witch in contrast to her current life as a waitress was always fun.

Of unspoiled investigators I'd say Ashcan Pete, since he's a hobo with a pet dog. He is just such a fun character to role play while playing the game. A close second would be Bob Jenkins because he seems like he belongs in the show Madmen. He seems so ill equipped to deal with the horrors of this setting. In AH the board game I'd just walk around buying up common items and sass mouthing the other characters.

For me it's mostly the background that get's me excited about the investigator then how they play mechanically (their unique rules and cards) would come second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Culver is my favorite from other Arkham games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Cthulhu games for the setting, so I like playing someone with an occult connection of some sort. So far, that's Agnes and Daisy. Nothing wrong with say a cop like Roland, but I don't need a Cthulhu setting to experience a cop. It's a fairly ordinary archetype. Same reason I never play the humans in a space game that lets you choose alien races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Perryman
msg tools
I'll probably play as Daisy. The Tomes seem like they will be powerful assets and I can play around with some mystic cards, too. For the future, Harvey Walters has always been my favorite along with Jim Culver because of the Call of Cthulhu RPG connection. Silas Marsh might be fun. Perhaps his unique weakness will relate to some fishy events in his past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
souloon souloon
Poland
flag msg tools
Do you know that you need two cores to play roland/daisy duo?

If you want some man to protect daisy with only one core box bought skids should be your man

If rumors about which character got which sub class are true we can easily figure out all possible combinations, that you can play with just one core set without expansions. Here they are :

daisy + skids

wendy + daisy

agnes + skids

roland + agnes

wendy + roland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
For me, I really think that after a few expansions I'll end up playing whoever can hold the craziest deck. So far it looks like the Dunwich investigators will be able to do silly things, but the limit of 5 out of class cards will prevent anything too broken, so I'm on the lookout for whatever classes can get combined to make an engine of some sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to the rogues and all their tricks. I hope they will be able to hold their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Fear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Howsare
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Silas Marsh is my favorite character in the setting, because The Shadow Over Innsmouth is my favorite story by Lovecraft, so he appeals to me thematically.

Until we get him in the game, though, I'm probably going to be playing primarily the mystic characters, because their high-risk, high-reward style appeals to me as a gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try Daisy Walker, Skids-o-Toole, Wendy Adams and Agnes Baker also I really wanna get Dunwich and play the clover club scenario. I like the voodoo trombonist he looks really neat.

For me I pick the most badass looking class (sample artwise) or most out there but since this is a mystery game I'll be either Seekers or Mystics and try any other character that strikes my fancy artwise. (Skids and Wendy are an example)

I feel like this game is going to get you to die like a lot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BardicSkaven wrote:
I feel like this game is going to get you to die like a lot...

If you're "defeated" during a scenario you end up with a "point of trauma" which then reduces your stat (physical or mental) before you even start the next scenario.

Nasty, but not quite like dying and having to start the entire campaign over again.

Of course if you suffer enough trauma to reduce your starting health or sanity to zero, THEN you are killed (physical) or driven insane (sanity).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully I can win a scenario or two before Daisy gets beaten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.