1 , 2  Next »   | 

Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: The Future of Fury of Dracula? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wes Ray
msg tools
mbmbmb
So, what happens now that Fantasy Flight and Games Workshop have parted ways and the game is maybe/possibly/seemingly out of print?

What would YOU like to see happen?

1) Fantasy Flight releases a reprint of the game with a brand new theme.

2) Games Workshop releases the game as-is themselves a few months down the road.

With a game as popular as this, could BOTH happen?

What is the most likely? Any chance Fantasy Flight could just license it from Games Workshop like some of their other IP's (Star Wars)?

The Bram Stoker novel itself is public domain, so other than maybe the name of the game, I don't see how Games Workshop could really "own" the rights to the characters or anything.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadMime wrote:
So, what happens now that Fantasy Flight and Games Workshop have parted ways and the game is maybe/possibly/seemingly out of print?

What would YOU like to see happen?

1) Fantasy Flight releases a reprint of the game with a brand new theme.

2) Games Workshop releases the game as-is themselves a few months down the road.

With a game as popular as this, could BOTH happen?

What is the most likely? Any chance Fantasy Flight could just license it from Games Workshop like some of their other IP's (Star Wars)?

The Bram Stoker novel itself is public domain, so other than maybe the name of the game, I don't see how Games Workshop could really "own" the rights to the characters or anything.

Thoughts?

Let it go a few years OOP.

It was originally put out in 1987, went 18 years until its first reprint in 2005, then 10 years until a reprint in 2015.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best bet would be for Asmodee to acquire GDW and hand FoD back to its FFG subsidiary. The second best bet would be for GDW and FFG to renegotiate a new license agreement, after a cooling off period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Half the beauty of the game is the theme. So I don't think this works as a reskin.

I find the option of GW releasing a version of the game to be the best available, however unpalatable (in my opinion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If FFG does reskin the game, due to the detective nature of the game, I could see it being done so in their newly expanded Android universe. A cat-n-mouse hunt through New LA with both physical and virtual locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonHook wrote:
If FFG does reskin the game, due to the detective nature of the game, I could see it being done so in their newly expanded Android universe. A cat-n-mouse hunt through New LA with both physical and virtual locations.

That is an awesome idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
JonHook wrote:

Yeah, that sounds cool. I'd like that.
You should probably pitch that to them.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how much Games Workshop can do to stop FFG making their own Dracula hidden movement game. Dracula is public domain and no one has rights to hidden-movement mechanic (I assume, I have not checked that in the slightest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar Arnason
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
Half the beauty of the game is the theme. So I don't think this works as a reskin.

I find the option of GW releasing a version of the game to be the best available, however unpalatable (in my opinion).

This is post-Asmodee Fantasy Flight we are talking about here, so let's be realistic

There will be two editions, one featuring a rag-tag band of rebels hunting a Sith and the other Stormtroopers hunting a Jedi. One of them could even be planet based and the other a map of the galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Ray
msg tools
mbmbmb
Angurvaki wrote:
mrsuitcase wrote:

This is post-Asmodee Fantasy Flight we are talking about here, so let's be realistic

There will be two editions, one featuring a rag-tag band of rebels hunting a Sith and the other Stormtroopers hunting a Jedi. One of them could even be planet based and the other a map of the galaxy.

Fury of Vader

wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Ray
msg tools
mbmbmb
Batesmates wrote:
JonHook wrote:

Yeah, that sounds cool. I'd like that.
You should probably pitch that to them.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how much Games Workshop can do to stop FFG making their own Dracula hidden movement game. Dracula is public domain and no one has rights to hidden-movement mechanic (I assume, I have not checked that in the slightest).

Of course, FFG still has Letters From Whitechapel. They could always just expand that universe if they wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadMime wrote:
Angurvaki wrote:
mrsuitcase wrote:

Fury of Vader

wow

Okay, you've convinced me it can be rethemed. I'd buy that. Except Vadar and the Empire are the hunters, and the rebels use the hidden movement...

... hmmm... nevermind. I guess they already rethemed this one: Star Wars: Rebellion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be up for an Android reskin. It would be nice to have another game in that setting that plays up the detective side of the setting. I feel like that could be more fleshed out. The theme of Android the boardgame is already several detectives trying to chase down a murder suspect. It would change to a many versus one game with hidden movement instead of the every detective for himself style game play the Android.

I was going to suggest as an alternative in the Android setting a game with corporate security trying to prevent criminals and runners from stealing corporate assets, but I wonder if that might feel too similar to Spectre Ops though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruse
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Re-theming Fury of Dracula isn't really relevant to what will happen to the game itself. As was mentioned there is letters from White Chapel and other hidden movement games that are currently in the works like "Hunt for the Ring" by Ares where the nazgul hunt down frodo and company. Unless the game is a Dracula game it will be very different from Fury of Dracula just as there are a variety of worker placement games, deck building games, etc.

I expect Games Workshop will try to update it or release it as is themselves if they are legally able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Zoidberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
This is GW here. They'll probably sit on Fury of Dracula for 8 years, realize there is a lot of demand for it, release a new edition with a tiny print run that sells out before it even reaches stores and refuse to do it again for another decade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
JonHook wrote:

I'd actually think it'd be fun if it were set in their new five rings universe. Get some japanese mythology themeing with Onis and samurai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTUX wrote:
This is GW here. They'll probably sit on Fury of Dracula for 8 years, realize there is a lot of demand for it, release a new edition with a tiny print run that sells out before it even reaches stores and refuse to do it again for another decade.

Is there really a lot of demand for it though? FFG waited 10 years between their editions and in that time there wasn't a massive amount of clamouring for it. I would imagine that most people who really wanted it have just scooped it up in the mass panic buying inspired by the announcement of the FFG/GW split. I really doubt that GW would view this game as a goldmine that's just got to be reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Ray
msg tools
mbmbmb
The most unfortunate thing about the whole situation is, after being out of print and hard to obtain for several years, we FINALLY got it back... and now it's gone again.

I don't even think it was even out for a whole year this time was it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
MOTUX wrote:

Is there really a lot of demand for it though? FFG waited 10 years between their editions and in that time there wasn't a massive amount of clamouring for it. I would imagine that most people who really wanted it have just scooped it up in the mass panic buying inspired by the announcement of the FFG/GW split. I really doubt that GW would view this game as a goldmine that's just got to be reprinted.

Exactly. Fury of Dracula isn't Blood Bowl or Space Hulk, it's a niche game tied to some nostalgia but there are plenty of other deduction/hidden movement games out there that scratch a similar itch. If it never gets reprinted again it will be largely forgotten, aside from a vocal minority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
panzer-attack wrote:
MOTUX wrote:

Exactly. Fury of Dracula isn't Blood Bowl or Space Hulk, it's a niche game tied to some nostalgia but there are plenty of other deduction/hidden movement games out there that scratch a similar itch. If it never gets reprinted again it will be largely forgotten, aside from a vocal minority.

The third edition is significantly better than the earlier two editions and removes a lot of clutter of the earlier editions. That said, it is a 3-4 hour game, and no matter how good it is, there are relatively few people willing to play games that long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lari Rissanen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be rethemed with the Android universe as many have said.

I'd like it to be a runner hacking into a server with 4 sysops hunting him down ala Netrunner.

There are tracers, killers, code gates, barriers and such in that game which could be made to be the item deck and event deck. You could also make the runner have a different abilities and cards depending on which of the runners you pick. There's plenty to choose from if it was rethemed and remade. It needs a lot of reworking for that setting but would be hyyyype (I already love Netrunner). wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
Re: The Future of Fury of Dracula?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think it's quite unlikely Fury of Dracula will be rethemed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Of course it will be re-skinned - into Star Wars, like everything else.

'Fury of Vader' anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any edition of this game has never been particularly hard to find.

It's like you guys have one single store and if they don't have it, it's gone forever.

I think what people mean, is that they can;t buy the game for 40 bucks from Amazon, so it needs reprinting.

That said, the original is a much more interesting game than either of the FFG editions, and will remain a classic. The FFG ones will drift into obscurity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

That said, the original is a much more interesting game than either of the FFG editions, and will remain a classic. The FFG ones will drift into obscurity.

By "more interesting" do you mean "a better game"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.