Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another new post. About the difficulties of being playful.
Do we have a right to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I'm anticipating this thread as if it were a new Spielberg movie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A right is the product of an enforceable social contract, usually codified in law and backed by the power of the state.

Do we have a right to play? It depends on what you mean by "play".

Most forms of play are probably protected by better defined rights (like the right to free assembly), while others are restricted (like the right to shoot yourself in the head playing Russian Roulette).

But what I think the question really wants to ask is whether we should be encouraged to pursue whatever (legal) activities we choose, however frivolous they might appear to others.

And the answer to that depends on what you mean by "right".

Again, most forms of play are probably protected (and enforceable) by law. But that doesn't mean we can expect public support, approval or accommodation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
That was an interesting blog post (both in its sociological points and in its personal info about your new project), and not at all what I expected, so cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
That was an interesting blog post (both in its sociological points and in its personal info about your new project), and not at all what I expected, so cool.

You may be the only one who thinks so

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fogus
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
russ wrote:

No, not the only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The comparison of competitive to imaginative play reminds me a bit about the distinction made by a video game designer (I forget who: Will Wright? Peter Molyneaux?) between games and toys.

In his discourse, games have rules and are usually played competitively for a goal, while toys have neither rules nor goals and can correspond to imaginative play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fogus wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:
russ wrote:

No, not the only one.

Thanks. I wrote that after reading some nasty comments about it on reddit. Made that part of me that suspects I'm an idiot a little bit louder. One of the perils of using writing as a tool for thinking is I'm wrong a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andre_sand wrote:
The comparison of competitive to imaginative play reminds me a bit about the distinction made by a video game designer (I forget who: Will Wright? Peter Molyneaux?) between games and toys.

In his discourse, games have rules and are usually played competitively for a goal, while toys have neither rules nor goals and can correspond to imaginative play.

Yep, I believe he's making the same distinction I am. I think it was Molyneaux?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
christianF wrote:
I'm anticipating this thread as if it were a new Spielberg movie!
surprise "Afraiders of the LOST 'change' under the 'Seat Cushions'!" sauron ~"OUR precious-s-s-s-s-!..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how deep into the "philosophy of play" you want to go, Nick, but here are a few items that may be of interest.

Two classics:

Johan Huizinga, Homo Ludens: A Study of the Play-Element in Culture

Bernard Suits, The Grasshopper

One recent PhD dissertation:

Nathaniel Gindele, A Naturalistic Philosophy of Play

Of these, I confess I've only read Suits. It's engagingly written, but a bit narrow in focus (its main aim is to propose and defend a definition of "game"). It does provocatively claim, though, that people in utopia would do nothing other than spend their time playing games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
Not sure how deep into the "philosophy of play" you want to go, Nick, but here are a few items that may be of interest.

Two classics:

I'd heard of none of these. Thanks.

Quote:
Of these, I confess I've only read Suits. It's engagingly written, but a bit narrow in focus (its main aim is to propose and defend a definition of "game"). It does provocatively claim, though, that people in utopia would do nothing other than spend their time playing games!

Well of course that's true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe those famous words were:

"I disapprove of what you play, but I will defend to the death your right to play it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
cdunc123 wrote:

Two classics:

I'd heard of none of these. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Huizinga

When I was young he was kind of a household name in the Netherlands, partly due to the popularity of his son's novels about 'Adriaan en Olivier'. In intellectual circles he was generally held in high regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.