Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a somewhat peculiar situation arise when Mecatol Rex was elected as the Holy Planet of Ixth.

The law says:

"Elect Planet. This planet may not produce any units for the rest of the game. (No planet in a Home System may be elected.)"

Based on our interpretation of the rules it appears that this law prevents building a space dock on Mecatol Rex, because a space dock is a unit.

This is a very deceptive law. When voting, I never considered that this would prevent the building of a space dock. However, after reading the rules, I have a hard time finding any other reasonable interpretation.

This effectively makes any secret objective that requires a space dock at Mecatol Rex (close 40% of them IIRC) un-scorable.

There are a few ways around it, such as repealing the law or using an action card to move a space dock. However, those are extremely rare and unreliable.

I don't know if ultimately this is really an issue since it requires that law to come up and for Mecatol to be elected. However, I find it fascinating because I can't recall encountering a law that made it this difficult/impossible to score such a huge swath of secret objectives all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
This would affect 4 of the 13 secret objectives or 31%. (Industrial should not be counted because although it requires control of Mecatol Rex, it does not require a space dock there).

I was thinking that Integrated Economy might sidestep this but even IE won't help. Other than repealing the law, revoting the law, playing an Action Card or playing the Clan of Saar, there is little to prevent this screwage.

(Which is why I did it in the game the OP is describing ninja)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Good thing it's already on the list, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
islan wrote:
Good thing it's already on the list, then?

A list which purports to be of Political Cards which are too weak or uninteresting to include, so the inclusion of one with such a dramatic effect seems curious.

If a cabal of players who don't have spacedock-on-MR Secret Objectives conspire to pass this, good for them, I say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
This possibility was likely overlooked when the thinned political deck was made; it isn't obvious and requires that rules clarification before the impact of the card is realized.

There are a couple other cards in the list I've come to disagree with over the years, I plan to post my updated version of the thinned list in the thread where I detail out my new pimped copy of TI3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the interpretation, and this is why it should be in the Political deck - this is a meaningful vote, which is the whole point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree with the interpretation, and am not sure how it's really unclear - the FAQ is pretty explicit that all plastic stuff is considered a "unit", which would mean if you can't produce units, you can't produce Space Docks.

The utility of the law may depend on who had Mecatol-based objectives at the time and how much political sway they have when the law comes about. Could make for some very interesting political discussions and bribery, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I also agree with the interpretation, and am not sure how it's really unclear ...

It's slightly unclear because the law says "this planet may not produce units..." but planets do not produce units, space docks do. I think the intent is clear however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
halbower wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
I also agree with the interpretation, and am not sure how it's really unclear ...

It's slightly unclear because the law says "this planet may not produce units..." but planets do not produce units, space docks do. I think the intent is clear however.

Well, one unit is produced by the planet - the space dock itself

Plus, while the card was written before the Arborec, it does make sure that the Arborec GFs can't "produce" anything either

But I see your point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the intent is to also prevent the use of Integrated Economy although there is a case to be made to the contrary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Mecatol and its objectives, there is a Law saying simply: "No player can invade Mecatol Rex".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.