1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Westworld! [CAUTION: SPOILERS AHEAD] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I can't stop thinking about last night's first episode (on HBO), and I hope the rest of the series continues to maintain this kind of intensity and intrigue. I'm seldom turned on by TV shows, but this one did.

As a fan of the original movie, I liked how the show took the original concept and expanded on it, and changed it in some ways. Great cast, interesting script, troubling moral questions, and great production values (especially for a sci-fi show.)

What did you like -- or what turned you off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
All I could think of was Yul Brynner.
And I'm waiting for all the kids who presume this is going to be the next Game Of Thrones to realize they are watching a TV remake of a campy 70's movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
All I could think of was Yul Brynner.
And I'm waiting for all the kids who presume this is going to be the next Game Of Thrones to realize they are watching a TV remake of a campy 70's movie.

That was the very first movie that my friend and I tried to get into as an underaged patron (I was 12, he was 13).
It didn't work. No ID, no entry.

The first one that I did get into, underage, was this (6 years later):
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was good and recommend it, but I thought that the pacing was a little slow. I will watch the entire first season hoping that it picks up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watched the first 2 eps tonight. And its looking pretty dark, and completely awesome.

And I laughed when I realised that the western saloon was playing Black Hole Sun on the piano.

Later on we get some Paint It, Black (I'm sensing a theme).

Really really digging it so far

Except the swearing. Swearing itself doesnt bother me, but none of the staff who swear seem to be able to do it in a convincing way, it sounds forced to me for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the staff swearing...it doesn't add anything except the sense of an unprofessional culture.

Radiohead's 'No Surprises' was the tune on the saloon piano in the 2nd episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It got me thinking about MMOs in the real world. Obviously we're a few years away from the hosts of Westworld (or are we....), but so far, npcs in a modern MMO are pretty thick, they just have a script. Could a game work if the npcs had their own desires and motivations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Yul Brynners gunslinger scared the shit out of me when I watched the original movie as a kid

Watching the original again, he's still pretty creepy, and the movie is still great.

One thing that struck me on rewatching was that the 2 main characters (well, the main character and his mate) preferred to go and root robots rather than be in a saloon fight. These guys are mega rich, couldnt they just go to prostitutes back in the real world, rather than waste their precious time in Westworld?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too thrilled with the excessive violence. The production company should have had someone telling them that there was more in the American West than gunfighting and prostitutes.

bortmonkey wrote:
Also, Yul Brynners gunslinger scared the shit out of me when I watched the original movie as a kid.

And he fired fewer than 6 shots throughout the entire film.

What I'm missing is the entire Delos complex. I really would love to see some writer fleshing out Roman and Medieval Worlds some day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
The production company should have had someone telling them that there was more in the American West than gunfighting and prostitutes.

This is not a historical simulation of the West - its an entertainment park.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
What I'm missing is the entire Delos complex. I really would love to see some writer fleshing out Roman and Medieval Worlds some day.

There was a sequel (pretty bad I believe) - maybe that explored more of the other worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

There was a sequel (pretty bad I believe) - maybe that explored more of the other worlds.

It was a bit weird, with a sex scene dream sequence, if I remember rightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the original Westworld, watched the film many times. I also watched the sequel "futureworld" 2-3 times.

What I found magical and captivating in Westworld was the whole idea of it all being so real, yet all a theme park. My favourite part of the film is prior to it all going horribly wrong.
I am a big Yul Brynner fan also, fantastic actor.

Someone mentioned that they found it odd that these guys having so much money, why would they spend time having sex with the robot prostitutes?.
I see it that in real life I would never do such a thing...but in a theme park with life like robots?! All part of the experience!.

The sequel was a tad bizzarre , could not hold a candle to the original but is definately watchable.
I also have watched "the making of" Westworld, and that is very good .

As you can imagine, I got very excited seeing the trailers for the HBO westworld series.
I have watched the first two episodes now and I like it. I don't love it yet.
Ed Harris is predictably stellar and I guess he is the closest to the yul brynner character that we will get.
I did not understand or like the "gobbing" of milk over the shot up robots, I found it bizzare and disgusting.

Sex and swearing, we may be accustomed more to it in Europe, i'm not sure, but to me it makes it more real and life like.

Very interested to see where this is going but before all hell breaks loose I would love to see us get to know the individual lives each of the character bots has, show us some proper adventures and fleshed out story lines. We could even get to know more of the characters behind the scenes more, not just the main ones we see now, but even people going on shift work at night clearing up the shot up bots.

You know the worst job in westworld? , Whore house clean up team... yeah flushing out those bots can be a messy business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:

You know the worst job in westworld? , Whore house clean up team... yeah flushing out those bots can be a messy business.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

*wonders if there is a RSP thread on the subject (but not enough to go search)*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Not too thrilled with the excessive violence. The production company should have had someone telling them that there was more in the American West than gunfighting and prostitutes.

Think of it more as an RPG, these are modern people going into a western and their idea of a western is based on television and movies, so they want to re-enact these things. Some of them want to be the good guys saving npcs and going on adventures, and some of them want to do terrible things that they would never be able to get away with in real life. Just like in any MMORPG you are going to get trolls and jerks who want to create as much chaos as possible and the more trolls and jerks that show up and ruin the trip for the good guys, the fewer good guys end up going. What's the point of spending that much money on a trip to Westworld if the NPCs you are trying to help or interact with get brutally murdered for no reason by idiots who can't be touched or injured? Pretty soon the place is overrun with trolls and perverts and there are few to no 'good guys' left, which leads to entire towns getting raped and slaughtered every single day.

The only way to fix the balance is to make it so there are consequences to the PC's actions. If you get "shot" or otherwise disabled by townspeople or other PCs then you are out of the game for the night.

Anyway, I like the show so far and am looking forward to episode 3! What night is it on? I keep missing it and having to go to watch it On Demand. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops it was on last night, wasn't it? blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, it usually airs for broadcast on Sundays -- although Episode 2 was available earlier on demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

No, it didn't. Both of the other two settings were a part of the original film, and scenes set in both worlds were in the first movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
The production company should have had someone telling them that there was more in the American West than gunfighting and prostitutes.

This is not a historical simulation of the West - its an entertainment park.

But as television entertainment, it's very close to gratuitous levels of sex and violence. If it's not already beyond that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Backert
Germany
Küps
flag msg tools
mb
Who do you think the man in black is?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In my opinion it is the newly introduced character William who started out as a white hat. Something terrible happened (the 30 years ago incident) that made him change to become a black hat with his own unique agenda. Nailed it, ka-ching ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Arthur Dayne wrote:

Johnny Cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Arthur Dayne wrote:

Johnny Cash.

Marten Broadcloak.
Randall Flagg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
Arthur Dayne wrote:

Johnny Cash.

Marten Broadcloak.
Randall Flagg

The Dread Pirate Roberts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
Arthur Dayne wrote:

Johnny Cash.

Marten Broadcloak.
Randall Flagg

The Dread Pirate Roberts

No-one of consequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2016: October 28, 29 and 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:

I did not understand or like the "gobbing" of milk over the shot up robots, I found it bizzare and disgusting.

My guess ... or at least what occurred to me is that it might tie into the creation process. We keep seeing those android forms being dipped in the white fluid. I'm thinking it's part of some buried memory that's surfacing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.