Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, Masmorra has always been understood as a "lighter, simpler" sort of dungeon crawl. Now that there are actually copies in people's hands, I'm wondering if anybody could speak to how they feel it plays out in practice. Would you consider this closer in complexity to a "gateway game" (Catan, Carcassone) or to CMoN's other games like Zombicide and Arcadia Quest?

In particular, I'm hoping to play this game with some folks who are turned off by the sort of complex interactions that can emerge in games like Roll for the Galaxy, and who don't like having to keep track of the effects in a constantly changing hand of cards. How much of a role do the cards play?

A lot of folks that I'd be playing this with would be very interested in co-op play. How does co-op compare to competitive in terms of fun and complexity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say this is more complex than Zombicide and in some ways Arcadia Quest too. Some aspects feel lighter and the setup time is for sure less, BUT the game still has a good deal of rules and some are less intuitive than Arcadia Quest.

This game is far less complex than RftG and keeping track of die effects is easy because most get slotted or anchored onto cards, showing what you in fact activated as you do it.

Coop for me is super boring. 21 turns to beat the epic boss is fairly easy. Competitive is fun, though I would rather race to 21 XP than 16, and epic mode is a toss up and I think depends on the amount of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grey Elephant Gaming's gameplay video makes co-op appear enjoyable in my opinion. But I have yet to actually play it myself so there's that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g9N_tB5SM8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
CharlieX3 wrote:
Grey Elephant Gaming's gameplay video makes co-op appear enjoyable in my opinion. But I have yet to actually play it myself so there's that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g9N_tB5SM8

Definitely different strokes. I found, when watching this video before, had THAT been the game, or at least the main way to play, I would not have bought or backed this. When playing it myself, I found it to be not challenging at all, and the coop cards are far more powerful than the comp cards, making the game even meh-er. Adding more tiles or subtracting any time wouldnt really help either :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.