$5.00
$30.00
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played ZhanGuo three times recently and love the way the cards you keep get triggered by the ones you use to take 5 of the 6 actions.

I've played other engine builder Euros but none quite like this. Are there any others, with or without cards, that do this well, like ZhanGuo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules D
United Kingdom
Annan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As engine builder games go Race for the Galaxy is the one that sticks out the most. Once you get past all the iconography it's an amazing game.

If you want something lighter then Imperial Settlers is nice.

Want something heavy then Craftsmen has a lot going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kallistosprom wrote:
As engine builder games go Race for the Galaxy is the one that sticks out the most. Once you get past all the iconography it's an amazing game.... Want something heavy then Craftsmen has a lot going on.

I'll have to revisit RftG and check out Craftsmen, but Imperial Settlers isn't for me. Thanks for the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Garnett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Deus is good for card combinations and triggers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan21 wrote:
Deus is good for card combinations and triggers

Came to recommend Deus.

There are 5 (6?) card types. When you put one in play, it triggers all the cards you've previously played from bottom to top of that type. So you can build some reallly satisfying combos with the right timing and planning. Highly tecomm need. Awesome on your request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must try Signorie which, even though I like Zhanguo, has almost replaced it for me. Signorie is even better: more interplayer tension, clearer engine building strategies, better integrated theme.

Deus is a good game also, though perhaps lighter and less thematic than either Zhanguo or Signorie. Despite the setting up of card combos in Deus (which you can only activate by placing a new piece on the board which can only occur a small, finite number of times), there are, perhaps, only two general engine strategies: taking advantage of having multiple buildings on the same territory or taking advantage of having multiple territories of the same type, with both strategies aggressively using armies to stake out the places you want and restrict your opponents in the early phases of the game. The temples cards just score points and trigger endgame, though they do need to dovetail with the strategy you chose above. I do like Deus and it is fun to play, but the engine building is not as complex or intricate as the above games.

By the way, the engine building combos in Signorie are not triggered by cards, but by die allocations to actions that will then trigger bonus actions you set up by buying "helper" tokens you used actions to place on previous rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Ginkgopolis (cards in columns are activated).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Imperial Settlers ,the final round when you kick in multiple engine triggers to squeeze as many points as possible out of your empires cards is very cool.
Lewis & Clark Might be worth a look as the race mentality suits the whole engine building idea using the cards.
Both these are handy if you do not have opponents as the will play solo well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for both Signorie and Ginkgopolis. Both have the bonus actions triggered by other actions, but neither does it as well as ZhanGuo in my opinion. I ultimately sold Signorie because I would always pick ZhanGuo over it, but I occasionally regret that decision since it was very very good. Ginkgopolis I have only played once, but it seems like it is definitely worth playing more. It's a shame that it's out of print (but it's language independent so importing is an option).

In my opinion, ZhanGuo is the most satisfying tableau/engine building game there is, but I am always looking for something to rival it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played Terraforming Mars and it is a great engine builder! I can't wait to get it.

Great Western Trail, The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire, and Chimera Station look like they could fit the bill, too, but will have to play them to know for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.