Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
'Panda ThatsMe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got our first game in this weekend, and this is a fun game.

After reading the rules the first time through, I immediately came up with an idea for a house rule. After the exhibit phase, all players vote for the best dinosaur. Exception: you can't vote for your own dinosaur. Each time a player receives a vote, they get get a point. We scored 1pt per vote for round 1, 2 pts per vote on round 2, and 3 pts per vote on round 3.

How did we vote? I took an extra bag I had, and some different color tokens. Give each player a token of the other player colors. Starting with the first player, they secretly add 1 colored token that represents another player, then passes the bag along to the next person, etc. Once the bag gets back to the first player, they take out the tokens (we dramatically took 1 token out of the bag at a time) out of the bag, and add scores for the players.

We found this made people even more invested when constructing their dinosaurs, because if you made it look cool, you're going to get even more points. Even if you don't get a lot of points, it's nice to be rewarded for making a cool looking dino. I'm not sure about the rewarded points yet, it seemed about right, but I might want to increase it a little. Probably keep the 'best dinosaur award' somewhere around the equivalent of completing a bonus card overall.

Edit: Right now we are just using some blue, green, red, yellow colored discs as voting pieces. Luckily we haven't had a 5th player yet. I'm on the lookout for different colored dinosaur tokens, if anyone has any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds amazing, I will try this if everyone is down...

Ooooohhhhh!!! I want my copy so bad, I am Veruca Salting over here!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely seem like an interesting variant that adds even more flavor into the dino building. In fact if the points awarded are lucrative enough it might convince some players to look past building their dinosaurs only to score points, especially for certain parts such as ribs & tails. It'll also give unique bones an extra meaningful 'edge' in scoring, instead of just counting how many you have.

The only downsides I see is the potential for king making, hence needing to balance the point gain. Another way of minimizing king making is giving those who voted for the majority dino a small advantage (etc: 1 point per vote on your dino + 1 point if you voted for the majority dino)

Not sure how impactful this variant can be in a 3p game though... unless you expand upon this idea & have multiple aesthetic categories?
Taking inspiration from another story telling game, I could see it's multi-vote system work for this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
The only downsides I see is the potential for king making, hence needing to balance the point gain. Another way of minimizing king making is giving those who voted for the majority dino a small advantage (etc: 1 point per vote on your dino + 1 point if you voted for the majority dino)

This was actually a rule in an earlier iteration of the rule. Players have fun with it, but I found it didn't fit the theme of the game or the mechanics very well. Mainly because of the potential of king-making (as quoted above) and it was hard to be in the "spirit" of voting for creative dinosaurs while still trying to be competitive so you win.

However, as I said, we had some fun with the rule while it was there, so enjoy exploring it yourself! I highly encourage creative dinosaurs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottbalmes wrote:
genesyx wrote:

This was actually a rule in an earlier iteration of the rule. Players have fun with it, but I found it didn't fit the theme of the game or the mechanics very well. Mainly because of the potential of king-making (as quoted above) and it was hard to be in the "spirit" of voting for creative dinosaurs while still trying to be competitive so you win.

However, as I said, we had some fun with the rule while it was there, so enjoy exploring it yourself! I highly encourage creative dinosaurs

Glad to hear that the rule was at one point considered & was fun. I imagine the 'creative vs competitive' spirit wouldn't be an issue for people looking to play casually

That said, if I may ask, what was the exact point scoring used for this 'rule' during playtesting?

I must saw I really like this creative 'variant' & would definitely pick up a copy with a functional balanced variant in mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Panda ThatsMe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottbalmes wrote:
genesyx wrote:

However, as I said, we had some fun with the rule while it was there, so enjoy exploring it yourself! I highly encourage creative dinosaurs :)

Yea, I was thinking there were some ways the house rule could be abused. Players might team up (especially when I play against the kids) against a single individual. I think by keeping the reward points low, and also splitting them up, it lessens that likelihood.

How many points did you award in the earlier rule iteration? How did your rule work and how did you handle the actual vote?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our most successful version of the rule was:

Everyone voted for their favorite and 2nd favorite dinosaur. This was done secretly, then everyone would reveal their votes. 1st place votes were worth 2 points, and then 2nd place were worth 1 points. You could vote for yourself.

The player with the most votes had the most creative dinosaur. If you voted for the most creative dinosaur, you earned 5 points if it was your 1st choice, and 2 if it was your 2nd.

So, it rewarded a consensus on the coolest dinosaur. Like I said, I was never happy with it's place in the game (it was also super fiddly with tokens and such) but this was the best "working" rule that I had. It also only worked in 4-5 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.