$15.00
$20.00
$30.00
Canada
southern AB
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really excited to realize this weekend that the print-and-play files for this game are still available, so I spent a few hours on Friday and Saturday bashing together a copy, and played it on Sunday.

I'd like to make sure we're playing a couple of the rules correctly though.

In the first game (my son and my dad played; I read the rules) first of all we forgot to escalate the DEFCON tracks every time. So the first game wasn't as terrifying as it could have been. But in both the first and second games we found the "resolving agendas" section of the rules a bit confusing and light on detail, and I think we most likely did it wrong at least once.

WHO GETS PRESTIGE
If, for example, the USSR has selected the "Italy" agenda, but at the end of the round, the US has a majority of cubes there, the US gets the Prestige points?? (In the first game, we just played that the USSR fails to get the points, but the US doesn't benefit either.)

HOW BIG IS THE BONUS
For the Cuba/Cuba/Atlantic battlegrounds, you count the *number* of other battlegrounds you dominate in, and that's your bonus - not the amount of cubes you dominate each by? (I think so; I think we did this one right.)

HOW BAD DOES IT GET
Last question: when someone reveals that they picked a DEFCON track agenda, the applicable cubes in that DEFCON track are escalated, regardless of whether the player managed to fulfill their agenda, right?

Anyway, it's a neat little game, and I think we'll get faster at it once we get more familiar with how it works. The thing that slowed us down the most was having to logic out the cards sometimes, so I think what we'll try to do the next few times we play is pay attention to those tricky spots and see if we can come up with a clearer wording. If we find something that does help us, I'll post here and hopefully it can help someone else as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Either side can score for either agenda. You did the rest right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
geerhead wrote:

HOW BIG IS THE BONUS
For the Cuba/Cuba/Atlantic battlegrounds, you count the *number* of other battlegrounds you dominate in, and that's your bonus - not the amount of cubes you dominate each by? (I think so; I think we did this one right.)

Max bonus is 7-- say the Agenda is Cuba (Military) and you lead there by 5 cubes to none (+5), and you also Dominate in Atlantic (+1 max) and Cuba (Political)-- another +1 max.

Note that the Prestige Track can only move by 5 during a turn, but you can use your 7 to offset any gain your opponent makes for the OTHER Agenda pick--Agenda resolution/scoring is simultaneous.

One last twist, if you AND your opponent pick 2 of the 3 Cuba/Atlantic battlegrounds you do the calculation twice. This happened in a game I played in.

geerhead wrote:

HOW BAD DOES IT GET
Last question: when someone reveals that they picked a DEFCON track agenda, the applicable cubes in that DEFCON track are escalated, regardless of whether the player managed to fulfill their agenda, right?

This is as bad as it gets-- if you AND your opponent pick the same Defcon Track for Agenda, you move the markers in Defcon 2 twice. It is very constraining and potentially fatal when 2 flags are on 1 Defcon track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
Soon to be published!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron and Martin are spot on in their answers!

Thanks!
Asger Granerud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
southern AB
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:
Note that the Prestige Track can only move by 5 during a turn, but you can use your 7 to offset any gain your opponent makes for the OTHER Agenda pick.

Thanks, I think I missed that.

SBGrad wrote:
This is as bad as it gets-- if you AND your opponent pick the same Defcon Track for Agenda, you move the markers in Defcon 2 twice. It is very constraining and potentially fatal when 2 flags are on 1 Defcon track.

Oh god, that didn't even OCCUR to me. Wow, that's whole new layer of pain and suffering (and potential for brinksmanship).

Must play again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.