Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Pipes
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I recently became interested in the Cthulhu mythos and have picked up various HPL books, some of the Cthulhu RPG rules and modules, and all the Eldritch Horror games and expansions. I saw a copy of this at a game convention in Florida for $33 new, and having played Pandemic many years ago I thought it seemed like a good purchase.

I'm happy I did, this is not a complaint or dig against the game, but I happen to really REALLY like maps. A well done game map is something that can make or break a game for me. I know everyones tastes are different so YMMV. I find the isometric somewhat computer-gameish graphics of the various locations of the cities to be ok, as in not great not awful. What started to really bug me though was the fact I began to realize the 4 main cities in the game are, according to the maps in the various books I have read, rather far apart! The way the game map depicts them you can simply cross a bridge on foot and get between Innsmouth and Arkham. The rules don't help this much in that you can use an action to move from any single space to another. Having the rules account for the distance between the cities according to their supposed "real world" spatial placement, and/or having the map depict them a bit more effectively in that regards, would make this an ok game (map-wise) to one that I was in love with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just my two cents: I have read several comments about how there are inaccuracies in this game according to the Cthulhu Mythos and all of them are valid and true but for me, it doesn't bother me one bit. I really enjoy this game as is and am glad I bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Portals are opening... time and space warping.... people are losing their grasp on reality.... scale and distance is not what you have come to believe.

Move along......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
i3ullseye wrote:
Portals are opening... time and space warping.... people are losing their grasp on reality.... scale and distance is not what you have come to believe.

Move along......

I agree, with a Cthulhu theme it's especially easy to explain away map issues since his stories often involve warping of time, space, and reality. If anything, map inaccuracies can make the game even more thematic. ^_^

By the way, jpipes, since you like maps, have you read The Shadow Over Innsmouth? It's my favorite of his stories, even though in many ways it's not representative of his work.

One neat thing about this story is that the map of the town is self-consistent. When I was a kid I made a map of the town features based on the text (roads, river, railroad tracks) and it mostly all worked, and really helped you visualize how the action was taking place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this board. It is absolutely beautiful and as a Lovecraft fan it is great to see all of these iconic towns together on one board. I agree that they seem to close to each other. Some step should have been taken to make them feel as if you are traveling to the next town instead of walking cross the bridge. Even if it's just an extra movement step or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.