Hide
9 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » General

Subject: This or the original? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Wharton
msg tools
As someone who has never played Dead of Winter but would like to try, would people recommend this as a starting point or the original game?

Other than story, setting, characters etc, are there any fundamental differences in the amount of content and the type of gameplay you will see?

Apologies if this has already been addressed, I couldn't see a thread discussing it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely get The Long Night if I were starting from scratch. It's got all the same vanilla gameplay, (with a couple small improvements, even), and then it's got optional expansion modules you can choose to play with if you so desire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I'd suggested getting the original is if:

You find the original for under $25
And
You think you might not like it (you will)
And
You know you can't stand Zombies but want to test this game out

Etc, etc.

The original game is fine! Better than fine actually. And if you can find it cheap get it.

If for one second you think you might enjoy it and want to add to the enjoyment... get The Long Night. THEN if you go psycho over it go back and buy the original for cheap and add to it.

Or... I'll sell you my slightly used copy for $25!

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some great new mechanics in the Long Night, but I like the characters in the Original better.

I recommend the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is for TLN.

This has been debated in other threads. It boils down as follows:

Those who think TLN should be first state that the addition modules gives you more stuff to do. In other words, you get more "breadth".

Those who like the original state you get more "stuff" that is focused on the core features of the game e.g. More characters - so more "depth".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is TLN more complex? my group generally dont like too much complexity and i see that this game has weight of 3.5 while the original has 3.0, are there really any differance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Zee
United States
Plainsboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
TLN adds a few new changes to the rules that the original did not have (despair, explosive barricades, etc). However, it plays the same and just adds three new expansions (which you don't have to play if you don't want). Otherwise, it is no more complex than the original game imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alright thanks, I'll get this then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sturgill
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Ummm, for real on that $25 thing? Cuz I may take you up on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.